Thread: Uninstalling Hardtop Mounting Kit

My Cars
    2001 E36/7 2.5i

Uninstalling Hardtop Mounting Kit

First of all, I just wanted to say that this forum has been a tremendous resource and that I am humbled by the amount of knowledge that many of you possess. Also, I don't think I've ever properly introduced myself in the year that I've been here. My name is Bill, I have a 2001 2.5i, a VW Jetta and I used to have an E90 330i.

I am picking up a hardtop and will be uninstalling the Hardtop Substructure (i.e. hardtop mounting kit) from the sellers car. I've read over the BMW instructions and numerous threads on installing the mounting kit and hardtop, but I can't seem to find the answer I am looking for.

Other than the defroster switch and trim, are there any other trim pieces that will need to be replaced on their car after the mounting kit has been uninstalled? If so, can I swap from my car into their's? I want to ensure that the seller's car is "whole" after I remove the kit. Thank you!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    from your car there are 2 foam trim pieces on either side of the folding top hinges. Those are difficult to remove without mangling them, but if you manage to do that you can attempt to install them in the seller's car.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    '00 Z3 2.3 Roady, '08 M5
    Chances are, those foam pieces will be torn to shreds while removing them. Like Al said up top, other than those there isn't anything else. If you didn't know what to look for, you'd never know those pieces are missing.

My Cars
    2001 E36/7 2.5i
    Thanks guys, I just ran down and took a look at those trim pieces and I agree, if you didn't know what to look for, you couldn't even tell they were missing.

I read another thread (on another site) that mentions these foam pieces. It seems that it's really just a tug of war to remove them and they may or may not come out in one piece depending on how stubborn the glue is. They don't seem to be attached by anything other than glue.

I'll report back here on my experience getting these things out as well as any other lessons learned with this hardtop purchasing experience.