Thread: S52 oil filter kit questions.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R

S52 oil filter kit questions.

This may have been covered 100 times before, but I did my best to search and couldn't find what I needed. (Keywords for those searching in the future: S52 oil filter kit S52 oil change)

RealOEM.com shows this oil filter data for my VIN: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...39&hg=11&fg=30

It looks like 11427833769 (number 2 in the diagram) is what I need to order. However there are two issues. The first issue is that the diagram doesn't show that the part number includes a drain plug crush washer. Everything I've read on the forum (mainly about 4 cylinder cars) says these kits do come with one?
    If it doesn't come with one, it should be 07119963151 (number 3 in the diagram): http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...86&hg=11&fg=10

The next question is about www.eBMWParts.com and what they have listed for my car.
    When I search 11427833769 as found on realoem.com it says the application is for the S54 engine.

When I use the site's built-in navigation to enter my car info and look for the correct oil filter I get a different part which should be here: http://ebmwparts.com/parts/2000/BMW/...t=OIL%20FILTER

It's not clear if that is a filter element only, or an entire filter kit with o-rings and such. I'm also now pretty unsure of which one to buy.

So as you can see, I could use some guidance. I'd prefer to buy from eBMWParts.com if I can. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 02-07-2013 at 10:22 AM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT
    Anytime i've ordered "just the oil filter" , whether it be from the dealership, Mann, or Mahle, it comes with everything you need to swap the filter / O-rings, but not the drain plug.

(I use a topsider for oil changes, so that's not an issue for me)

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000mkoop View Post
    Anytime i've ordered "just the oil filter" , whether it be from the dealership, Mann, or Mahle, it comes with everything you need to swap the filter / O-rings, but not the drain plug.

(I use a topsider for oil changes, so that's not an issue for me)
    Yes, all in the box. Mahle OX187 (part W0133-1636817) has everything.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    A call to eBMWParts.com seemed to straighten this out. First I was told the S52 and S54 kits are almost identical (so they could be used interchangeably) with the S54 having an additional "metal cage" around the oil filter element as the only difference. Edit: After receiving my kit, it turns out this additional "cage" filter element is made of paper, not metal.
    I was also told it comes with everything required including the drain plug washer.

I was also told that if I looked up on realoem.com the oil filter stuff for a 1999 M3 I would come up with the same part number (11427833769) that I would for my Coupe just to confirm. This is true. I've also looked up the part number on realoem.com for an S54 Coupe and again it has the same part number 11427833769 listed. So I guess I was worried here for nothing, as both engines seem to share the same part number (although the diagrams are subtly different for each).

The confusion seems to stem from eBMWParts.com and their database look-up. If you look up the part by the part number listed above, it lists the usage for S54 engines only. This is apparently in error.

Also if you simply browse to the part without using a part number via 2000 - BMW - Z3 - M COUPE - MAINTENANCE & LUBRICATION - ENGINE SERVICE - FILTERS - OIL FILTER then you will be taken to some other oil filter kit with a lower price which may or may not be correct at all (and has no part number associated with it). I'm wondering if it is the actual older S52 kit without the "cage" around the filter element. I don't know.

I'll be ordering by part number 11427833769 and reporting back.

Edit: Reporting back. The S54 filter kit (11427833769) is basically the S52 filter kit but with an additional paper "cage" filter element around the filter. For all intents and purposes, the S54 filter kit has superseded the S52 kit and should be used on all S52 and S54 motors. Also the kit I ordered came with all necessary o-rings and washers including the drain plug washer.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 01-23-2014 at 12:41 PM.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT
    ...is anyone keeping track of the number of oil change related threads we have in the z3 subforum ? Lol

My Cars
    95 240SX|98 Z3M|05 Elise
    ...is anyone keeping track of the number of oil change related threads we have in the z3 subforum ? Lol
    Common maintenance procedure + people that are passionate about their cars == overthinking it and asking questions just to be on the safe side

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Funny you ask.

That would be me actually.

If you'd like to take over, by all means, post all of them in the manifesto and I'll add them.