Thread: z3 exhaust mod

My Cars
    z3 coupe 2.8

z3 exhaust mod

I will translate it later, sorry about that. Now is translated, but sorry about my English I did in a hurry and with my crappy level...

Here I am, fucked with the exhaust sound of my car.

The history:
    At first, all was stock and I did not like that sound, with wind and track noise it was almost unable to be heared.
    almost a year ago I put make a rear silencer delete. The sound was a bit too loud but was awsome, a very deep sound a when driven very hard it makes very nice and satisfactory pops. But was a bit unpleasant when using it with work mates and also travelling.
    Recently I changed the headers with a ss replicas, without cats... The sound was like serious race cars, just curius to hear it once, but not appropieate for street use. It was very very very loud, with less pops, but when it popped was crazy.
    Actually I putted the rear silencer back, the sound is almost like stock, just a bit louder when reving and withput no pops... I really like them when driving hard...

Thanks to a good friend (Thank you Luitex) he give me for investigating his rear silencer since he sold the car without it. Don't know why but his car sounded better than mine, with a deeper sound, so maybe his silencer was a bit different o mayme was because he has chipped his car....

Yesterday the package arrived my house and taking advantage that I came back from work early I start working.

Hopefully he sent his exhaust with larger pipe than mine so I was able to put it I a few minutes in my car, since cutting is faster than welding.

I cutted to the right size, mine was too large and will be cutted in the future.

This thing from the bmw dealer helps a lot and makes changes faster than other way.

At the end the new silencer was mounted in my car.

I washed my hands and went for a drive... It sounds exactly the same.... Damm... *baby2:

So with the other in my "laboratory" and the balls getting bigger I started modding *:24:

Cutting here and there makes the cutting disc wear out fastly.

After cutting 3 sides I openned it to avoid coutting the fourth side and a then welding. I hope to find something similar to what I found this weekend inside the silencer of a z4, but no...
    Mine has something uglier, heavier, and more solid...

After a lot of affort I put that ugly thing out.

Know I dont know what to do... Which is the next correct step? I want a deeper sound.... Not a can sound or metallic like some cars...
    Last edited by puntoloco; 02-06-2013 at 07:40 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Buy this muffler, they sound great on 6cyl bimmers without being too overwhelming - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mp...FSTZQgodx00AWw

Pic with magnaflow muffler on z3

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3
    Some time back I thought about doing what you just did. I was going to cut the muffler open and gut it. After lots of research and thought I bought a muffler similar to the one Franz Z3 recommends above. Mine is even less expensive, its the single tip version of the Magnaflow. Its not chromed but is stainless steel and the muffler shop I had the work done at put it all in for about $200.
    The Magnaflows are very much a straight through design with "that ugly stuff" we use to call muffler packing surrounding the straight through pipe with holes to let the excessive sound be absorbed by the packing. I guess they are like what we use to call "Glass Packs". Those where tubes with holes surrounded by high temperature fiberglass insulation encase in a cylinder, much like a Magnaflow. Google "glasspack" and lok at the images, you'll get the idea. Check out
    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/muffler5.htm