Thread: Rear Zip In Window for 2001 Z3, recommendations?

My Cars
    08' BMW 135i Convertible

Rear Zip In Window for 2001 Z3, recommendations?

Hey guys, I recently took a beauty 01' Z3 in on trade at the dealer I manage. I was thinking of purchasing it for my Dad and was wondering if anyone had previously purchased one of the after market zip in rear windows. If so, are they reliable and easy to install? Any recommendations or insight would be helpful. Thanks!

My Cars
    2000 s50b32 M Coupe
    I had the emiata tinted version.

It's doable, but stock is easier to install and doesn't need to glue stuff to ruin authenticity.

Other than that, it looks better and more durable.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    eMiata--cheaper, easier to install than OEM, and better quality plastic. Do yourself a favor--if you take the car and order the window, post here first for how to advice and tips--it will be well worth it.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Don't forget the Retractable Roof section of the Manifesto.

My Cars
    08' BMW 135i Convertible
    Hey guys, thanks for all the tips. Out of curiosity, has anyone ever tinkered with the idea of going to Home Depot and buying a small black trim to go around the edges where you typically see people gluing the cloth top to the plastic? Just curious, any suggestions would be great. Thanks again! - Tony

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey135i View Post
    Hey guys, thanks for all the tips. Out of curiosity, has anyone ever tinkered with the idea of going to Home Depot and buying a small black trim to go around the edges where you typically see people gluing the cloth top to the plastic? Just curious, any suggestions would be great. Thanks again! - Tony
    So is that your problem, the OEM black beading is coming off and someone tried to glue it back down? There is no fix for that besides replacing the window. Here are some links of interest.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1681426

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1887408

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1904360

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1877718

http://www.zscca.org/techtopics/imag...structions.pdf

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by hockey135i View Post
    ... has anyone ever tinkered with the idea of going to Home Depot and buying a small black trim to go around the edges where you typically see people gluing the cloth top to the plastic?...
    It is tempting to glue the loose black channel onto the edge of the cloth, or glue the cloth itself to the plastic window. While glue may appear to succeed, I don't think it works for long, and can make it impossible to do a proper repair of the problems which can only be done with a new zip-in window. If the glue job is bad enough, one would have to get a new top with a sewn-in window.

My PO used glue in several areas and it looks terrible. I bought a new window, and hope that I can get the glue off edge of the cloth and that the residue does not prevent the cloth from fitting in the channel, and that the new channel covers any remaining trace of the glue.
    Last edited by Vintage42; 02-05-2013 at 07:05 AM.

My Cars
    1999 Mroadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    It is tempting to glue the loose black channel onto the edge of the cloth, or glue the cloth itself to the plastic window. While glue may appear to succeed, I don't think it works for long, and can make it impossible to do a proper repair of the problems which can only be done with a new zip-in window. If the glue job is bad enough, one would have to get a new top with a sewn-in window.

My PO used glue in several areas and it looks terrible. I bought a new window, and hope that I can get the glue off edge of the cloth and that the residue does not prevent the cloth from fitting in the channel, and that the new channel covers any remaining trace of the glue.
    I have the same problem. The PO used glue and really butchered the job. The car had 26,000 miles on it when i bought it this past August and was pretty much a 10/10 except for this.

I think my choices are:
    1. Try and remove the glue with nail polish remover and replace the window if I can remove the glue - $100 - $250 depending on the window I choose.
    2. Bring the car to an upholstery shop for a new Robbins top - $1400.
    3. Purchase a Robbons top and try the install myself - $400.
    4. Do nothing since the top will be down from April thru October and I have a hard top for the colder months - $0.