Thread: '00 Z3M/R - Gearshift Selector Rod?

My Cars
    2014 335i xDrive PK

'00 Z3M/R - Gearshift Selector Rod?

Hey folks!

Well, I'm halfway through normalizing my OEM shifter. Uh, I should have listened...Lol. This is a PITA, if you don't drop the drive shaft and exhaust, etc... Lesson learned.

Anyway...

I am going to put everything back together in the morning; but I have one question.

The "Selector Rod" has a slight bend on one end (made that way). Does anyone happen to know if the bent side goes toward the front of the car (trans side) or the rear (shift lever side)? Dang, I should have tagged it.

Also, if you ever attempt this, I'd be happy to share my war story.

Thanks,

TC

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32
    Haven't done this (yet) but the excellent walk-through by Vinci says: "Also, take note of the position of the selector rod and the location of the bend in it. The rod should go along the passenger side and the bend should be nearest the transmission. It is possible to put the rod back in wrong, and it will cause problems." http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplass...rem_trans.html

Per

My Cars
    2014 335i xDrive PK
    Thanks Kornknarr for this. And I have seen and actually have this link bookmarked too. Should have known. I was keeping it handy as I hope to do my clutch and shift pins one of these days. Man I'm learning a ton!

Mahalo,

TC

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32
    Me too!

I got the shift pin tools and kit today so I will make a try one of the upcoming weekends.

Per

My Cars
    2014 335i xDrive PK
    Hi Per,

Would you mind sharing what shift pin tools and kit your picked up? I'll add that to my list. My next big project will be a complete brake job. Thereafter I will focus on my trans (clutch and shift pins etc...). Any thoughts?

Mahalo,

TC

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32
    Sure,

I ordered from bimmerdiffs.com: http://www.bimmerdiffs.com.

The guy there, Jonathan Thayer, was a pleasure doing business with.

I have just finished doing the RF crossmember/subframe fix. I'm a little disappointed with my final finish. I got a bit impatient. So I'll back up on that job a bit but then I will do the shift pins. I bought the car just before hibernation and have changed all the bushings in the rear + put in Rogue engineerings top rear mounts, made a small paint job on one of the mirrors, got the third brake light not leaking, and working. I also did maintenance on the diff while it was out.

That'll basically be all for this winter except for rear brake disks and the AC belt.

We are starting to see a bit more of the sun now, and hopes are rising for another roadster season where we live :-)

Per

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Kornknarr View Post
    Sure,

I ordered from bimmerdiffs.com: http://www.bimmerdiffs.com.

The guy there, Jonathan Thayer, was a pleasure doing business with.

I have just finished doing the RF crossmember/subframe fix. I'm a little disappointed with my final finish. I got a bit impatient. So I'll back up on that job a bit but then I will do the shift pins. I bought the car just before hibernation and have changed all the bushings in the rear + put in Rogue engineerings top rear mounts, made a small paint job on one of the mirrors, got the third brake light not leaking, and working. I also did maintenance on the diff while it was out.

That'll basically be all for this winter except for rear brake disks and the AC belt.

We are starting to see a bit more of the sun now, and hopes are rising for another roadster season where we live :-)

Per
    Jonathan is otherwise known as mcoupemindy here. Good luck with the sun and your driving season in Uppsala--when does it start, around midsummer?

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32
    Yeah, and end a couple of days later...

Sure feels that way sometimes. But really, if you care for your car there is no reason why you should have it out of the garage between 1 of October to 1 of April = 6 months.

But... In the summer - we are not above the polar circle but close enough for it to never get dark. I've had wonderful driving experiences in the nordic summer nights!

Per