Thread: Plasti dip stone guards

My Cars
    91e30 318is, 97 z3 2.8,

Plasti dip stone guards

Decided to make some make shift stone guards for my z. I've been using plasti dip for years now on various applications and love the protection and look it gives. The one thing about plasti dip is masking. It's almost impossible to mask without the plasti dip peeling off with the masking tape. You can try to spray it on heavy with one coat and peel the masking off before the plasti dip dries but more than likely the plasti dip will sag. So the only other way is using a very sharp blade and letting the weight of the knife work for you. I'm sure most will not even attempt this but my hand is pretty steady.

I see a kink in the masking here but the end result gives it a little Z flair......

End result no blade marks at all. Just let the weight of the knife do the work while the tape line guides you. Total cost $8.40 for the plasti dip. The knife and tape are a few bucks if you don't already have them.
    Last edited by graveshaker; 01-27-2013 at 01:22 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 roadster
    Wow! More guts and skill than I have, but it looks good.

I guess I like blue....Focus ST & 1997 2.8i

My Cars
    96 Z3 DASC, 07 E92 328i
    Wow looks looks good! How many coats did you use?
    “Speed has never killed anyone.... Suddenly becoming stationary, thats what gets you.” - Jeremy Clarkson

Supercharged

My Cars
    91e30 318is, 97 z3 2.8,
    I used about 3 or 4 coats. You can use the masking to create any design.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    You could consider finding someone locally who has the magnetic stoneguards in order to use them as a cutting template... the magnitude of the 'magnetism' through the Plasti-dip layers should still be enough for the guards to hold in place while you carefully cut around them. I suspect you'd have to pull them off carefully, then peel away the unwanted, trimmed excess.

Curious how the areas would look after multiple washings.

My Cars
    91e30 318is, 97 z3 2.8,
    I've been using plasti dip on wheels for years now. It holds up wheel on wheels threw multiple washes. This is my son's e36 with white plasti dip going on his second year.

This is my twin turbo stealth of two years with white plasti dip

And my Fj Cruiser's hood, 3 years old

So I'm living proof that this stuff holds up well
    Last edited by graveshaker; 01-27-2013 at 07:24 PM.

My Cars
    01 Z3M Coupe
    I've had good luck masking the areas I want to be free of plastic dip then applying 3 or 4 coats relatively quickly, just letting the dip flash dry for 5 minutes between coats then removing the masking tape right after the last coat before it dries. getting the dip to stick to the paint more than the tape is key. dip your car has a pre-wash that works. Just did my stone gaurds came out just fine with this method.

My Cars
    N/A
    Do they make clear plasti-dip?

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Quote Originally Posted by workhurts View Post
    Do they make clear plasti-dip?
    Yes.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    99 z3 coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by graveshaker View Post
    I've been using plasti dip on wheels for years now. It holds up wheel on wheels threw multiple washes. This is my son's e36 with white plasti dip going on his second year.

This is my twin turbo stealth of two years with white plasti dip

And my Fj Cruiser's hood, 3 years old

So I'm living proof that this stuff holds up well
    I'm curious how well you are able to wash those white wheels. I sprayed mine white about 6 months ago and can't stand trying to wash them. They have such a rough texture that seems to trap all of the brake dust/road grime. I'll spend nearly 10 min. per wheel and use up almost a full bottle of simple green just to get them clean. Do you have any suggestions? Perhaps I need to re-spray them to try to get more of a smooth finish.