Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of a new Radio

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3

Thinking of a new Radio

Hey Gang -

I got my Z3 yesterday and of course it plays cassette tapes. I see a new radio in my near future. It looks like the old one is easy to take out [open side tabs, remove screws, pull radio out.]

What are the latest and greatest radios that you guys have fitted into your Z3? My one requirement is that is it has a USB port in the front. I am not an IPOD guy. USB hold all of my music and I don't have to keep it charged. I also don't care about a CD player [do people still listen to CD's anymore???]

For a few bucks more, it looks like I can get a radio that has the flip screen and a navigation system- has anybody done that before?

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Hi there, I don't like aftermarket units in my cars, but I did have a JVC deck in there with front USB port for a while before going back to stock CD player with USASpec and old fashioned iPod. I have the deck in my garage and you can have it for $25.00 if you want. Comes with the adapter cable and antenna cable as well.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    PM message sent.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    New stereos are far more advance than what came with the car...not a bad idea to to an upgrade.

Here's one that will has GPS, bluetooth handsfree system, USB, iPod and Line in ports.
    Also I don't think it'll look out of place in the car.
    http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/asteroid-range

-Phil

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    Thanks z-thrizzle -

That stereo looks great. I went to the link you provided and watched the short video. That is definitely on my short list.

My Cars
    2000 BMW M Roadster
    I have that radio in my M roadster. (The Parrot Asteroid)

Keep in mind that this is NOT turn by turn navigation, you must provide your own connection to the Internet (air card), there is no CD player & the AUX port is in the rear of the radio.

Other than that, it's a great little radio. A tad expensive, but fantastic looking with my interior.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3
    Wont the fitment of the flip screen look funny blocking the vents right above the head unit?

I wish there were more options with head units to match the the classic look of the 2000 Z3 interior...I don't like how a flashy head unit looks with the interior. Anyone know of classic/basic looking head units available?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    It's just a question of what your budget is. For a few thousand the stock CD43 can be made to run a really good sound system--better than an aftermarket head, and with all the modern amenities--best sound option. If you only have a few hundred, then the aftermarket is your best choice. The car is actually an amazing sound platform, given its size, but it does take some money to get the best out of it. The flip up screens are passe' now, its been done, but it way dates your system--nobody needs a head unit operated GPS now that smartphones do it better and play the directions through the head anyway (bluetooth). In fact, there is no need for much of anything out of the head except a pre-amp, a volume button, a screen and a couple of easy to hit function buttons--the rest is all smartphone. I am assuming you have a smartphone (doesn't everyone now), but if not, invest in that and a Dice or Grom, and keep the C33, although it's not as good as the CD43, it does have the necessary port for the CD changer that gives you digital access. If you want to spend the thousands it takes to make the system audiophile quality, there are lots of threads on that. It's a lot of work and money, but imho the best mod you can do for all around enjoyment (and I've done all the others).

My Cars
    2018 X4 M40i
    I really prefer my choice - Alpine CDE-124SXM. This is a fully-featured desk that even allows connection to Pandora, but more importantly is a satellite tuner too. The tiny patch antenna sits on the dash by the front window - it works great. It's also not that expensive, and looks good in the car.

Nothing I like less than an ultra-modern radio in a dated car...looks like a ricer with a driver gripping his Best Buy points card wherever he drives.

At least my card sits in a drawer at home.
    2018 X4 M40i

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3

Smile

Hi TelecomTodd, I have a question about your install. Is the Alpine driving the speakers directly or does it drive the sometimes statndard HK amd and sub set?
    I ask because that unit (the Alpine) is a high power radio (50 w x 4). I am trying to see if the stock HK amp can handle high power radio input.
    Thanks
    Rudy

Quote Originally Posted by Telecomtodd View Post
    I really prefer my choice - Alpine CDE-124SXM. This is a fully-featured desk that even allows connection to Pandora, but more importantly is a satellite tuner too. The tiny patch antenna sits on the dash by the front window - it works great. It's also not that expensive, and looks good in the car.

Nothing I like less than an ultra-modern radio in a dated car...looks like a ricer with a driver gripping his Best Buy points card wherever he drives.

At least my card sits in a drawer at home.

My Cars
    2018 X4 M40i
    Good question. The installer used the existing HK amp, and we replaced the speakers. I'm only using the 5-1/4 pair in the kick panels. I'd use more, but I was warned against spending more money to make the sound worse.
    2018 X4 M40i

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    I went to Staples and for $12 bucks I got a cassette tape adaptor that let's me play my music from my Blackberry through the tape deck. I was surprised how well it works. This will hold me over until I pull the trigger on a new head unit.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i
    I am really pleased with the features and performance of this Sony in my setup.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DSXS300BT...N%3DB0042X96L0

No CD if that is important to you. It was not an issue for me as Pandora is really my thing. It is a great solution for your digital media and the usb sticks you use, or an ipod or phone, can be attached and stored right inside the unit so no wires to be seen. Not crazy expensive either.
    Last edited by bigbird; 01-28-2013 at 07:08 AM.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by z3aficionado View Post
    I went to Staples and for $12 bucks I got a cassette tape adaptor that let's me play my music from my Blackberry through the tape deck. I was surprised how well it works. This will hold me over until I pull the trigger on a new head unit.
    So I take it you will not be wanting the unit +adapters I have for $25.00?
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    I have a question on aftermarket headunits. With the proper wiring harness spliced in, along with the antenna adaptor, are they then just plug and play? I talked with a knucklehead in Best Buy and he was telling me there is an additional kit that secures the unit in the dash. Is there some sort of additional bracket needed? I thought they all came with a bezel that neatens up the appearance also? I looked long and hard at all they had in BB and concluded that they would all look like sh*t, what with their flashy colors and knobs. I do like all the modern features though. Is Crutchfield the way to go?
    Last edited by CTHuskyinMA; 01-29-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: typo

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    I have a Kenwood KIV701 that fits perfectly. I think any Single-DIN-size unit will work fine. That was one thing I liked about the BMW. I have had other cars (Chevrolet, Honda, etc.) that required replacing large sections of the dash with new pieces to accommodate a DIN-sized radio.

I bought a harness adapter that plugged into the existing BMW harness, a special BMW antenna adapter, and I added a 12-foot 3-channel RCA cable to the trunk for the new amplifier. The new head unit included cables for an IPod, etc. that I routed to the center console.

There is also a kind of security switch mounted behind the stock radio which is activated by a stud on the back of the radio. I removed that to provide more room back there for the harness.

My Cars
    01 E36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by rudyrov View Post
    Hi TelecomTodd, I have a question about your install. Is the Alpine driving the speakers directly or does it drive the sometimes statndard HK amd and sub set?
    I put one in my wifes car not too long ago. There is a filter module you need to use to prevent overdriving the amp. I bought all my stuff at crutchfield.com they have great prices and great tech support.
    01 M S54 Estoril Coupe (Fun)16 Mini Clubman S(Daily)03 325i (Wifes Car)Your never further away from oblivion than a distracted soccer mom in a SUV.

My Cars
    2001 Z3
    I have a Kenwood KDC-252U Aux input / USB / CD. Its not to out of place in the car the colors are very similar to the factory colors (lighter red color vs orange OEM).

My main issue that would bother me in any other car is that the clock keeps advancing its' self not like its a real issue in the Z3 as it has its own clock.

Past: 1995 325i, 1999 328ic, 1997 540i, 2006 330i

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by m212 View Post
    I have that radio in my M roadster. (The Parrot Asteroid)

Keep in mind that this is NOT turn by turn navigation, you must provide your own connection to the Internet (air card), there is no CD player & the AUX port is in the rear of the radio.

Other than that, it's a great little radio. A tad expensive, but fantastic looking with my interior.
    wifi tether to your smartphone (if you have a droid, root it and this is free).

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by CTHuskyinMA View Post
    I have a question on aftermarket headunits. With the proper wiring harness spliced in, along with the antenna adaptor, are they then just plug and play? I talked with a knucklehead in Best Buy and he was telling me there is an additional kit that secures the unit in the dash. Is there some sort of additional bracket needed? I thought they all came with a bezel that neatens up the appearance also? I looked long and hard at all they had in BB and concluded that they would all look like sh*t, what with their flashy colors and knobs. I do like all the modern features though. Is Krutchfield the way to go?
    When it comes to support, Crutchfield is great. Very available via phone and helped me the 2 times I have called them. If you buy from them, my experience has been that they automatically include the appropriate harness for your car that splices into the head unit so it is plug and play to the car.

The last two head units I bought both came with a metal sleeve that slid into the DIN opening and snapped (or screwed?) into place. Then the head unit slides into that metal sleeve and sort of clicks into place. Pretty easy really.
    Last edited by bigbird; 01-28-2013 at 09:31 PM.

My Cars
    '01 3.0L Z3, CT200h
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Thrizzle View Post
    New stereos are far more advance than what came with the car...not a bad idea to to an upgrade.

Here's one that will has GPS, bluetooth handsfree system, USB, iPod and Line in ports.

This is so sweet. How hard is it to install?

Has anyone considered something simple like this?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_333CK30...display=Parrot
    Last edited by 07090; 01-29-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    - Marc

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8 (July98)
    I'm also ready for an upgrade. I put in a fairly inexpensive head some years ago but never really liked it. Back then, nearly all the head units were chrome and blue. Good to see we've swung back to black, and matching the amber dash lights is pretty important to me - I'd like to get something that has variable colors. I found a JVC for pretty cheap:

JVC KD-X50BT
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDX5...-KD-X50BT.html

No CD player - I don't use one anyway. USB out in the BACK, because I don't want a dongle in the front when I can easily connect a USB extension and keep the USB drive anywhere I want under the dash. Bluetooth and hands-free mic included. And it's plug and play with the existing system.

I'm not a great JVC fan though. But it does have just about everything I want.

My Cars
    2000 Mcoupe estoril blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-Thrizzle View Post

FYI, a lot of terrible user reviews on this head unit on amazon. I haven't tried it myself, just letting folks know.

- bill -

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by stamosenvy View Post
    FYI, a lot of terrible user reviews on this head unit on amazon. I haven't tried it myself, just letting folks know.
    I about bought this unit because it runs on Google's Android OS. I figured there would be a bunch of 3rd party apps and mods available for it considering every other Android device does. The thing is the manufacturer Parrot half ass coded some crappy apps and a half functional proprietary coded gui that is LOOSELY based around android. I had huge plans to hard wire in my bluetooth OBD2 reader and run the diagnostic program Torque on the head unit and watch parameters in real time. I hope they choke on it.

My Cars
    E368x2 / F15
    Even though I like the look of the stock CD43, we have to admit the technology is VERY outdated. I just purchased this Pioneer because of the built in bluetooth system AND very importantly...the colors on the headunit are adjustable by red greens and blues. The interior lighting color can be matched to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by CTHuskyinMA View Post
    I have a question on aftermarket headunits. With the proper wiring harness spliced in, along with the antenna adaptor, are they then just plug and play?

Yes, they are plug and play. There is an adapter harness that plugs into the factory wiring which is then spliced into the head unit wiring. Within 5 minutes you can switch back and forth from stock if needed.

ex.

I talked with a knucklehead in Best Buy and he was telling me there is an additional kit that secures the unit in the dash. Is there some sort of additional bracket needed?

Some cars require a bracket to fill in surrounding areas. However, all Z3 models do not.
    Answer to a couple of your q's ^

/
    //

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast