Thread: Z3 Coupe CD Changer power hook up for Grom USB Interface

My Cars
    G60

Z3 Coupe CD Changer power hook up for Grom USB Interface

I had a hard time finding the factory cd changer 3 pin power hook up in the trunk of my coupe and it took quite a bit of searching on the interwebs to find an exact detail of where this little sucker was hiding.

This is the thread where I ultimately found the info but searches with GROM came up with nothing:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1906413

So I wanted to make this thread so if someone searches on google etc it should come up and hopefully be easier to find.

The 3 pin connector is hiding in the wire loom for the factory amp:

There you are you little bastard:

Got you now you SOB!:

So with that done I must say that the Grom USB Interface unit works great! Sound quality isn't the best but I'm not a big car audio guy so it's good enough for me.

My Cars
    Several
    Why did you opt for the trunk-connection with GROM? I have their setup, but it hooks up behind the dash vs. trunk. I would think that's easier.

If you have a whine over the speakers, ask them to send you another connector that has the noise filter on it. I had to.
    "If the Corvette is a rebellious child of the extended automotive family, the M coupe is the blackest of sheep." - via Car & Driver

My Cars
    G60
    Quote Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
    Why did you opt for the trunk-connection with GROM? I have their setup, but it hooks up behind the dash vs. trunk. I would think that's easier.

If you have a whine over the speakers, ask them to send you another connector that has the noise filter on it. I had to.
    The wife gave me this for christmas. It came with the noise filter.

We thought that it would just be easy to plug right into the CD changer plugs. It would have been really easy if not for the hidden plug.

Now that I know where it's at it could have been done in less than 20 minutes.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    If you got the bluetooth GROM dongle, don't expect it to sound good for music. I put one in my M5 and it's pretty worthless when it comes to sound quality. It's probably fine for calls though. I haven't wired up the mic yet, so I haven't really tried it.

My Cars
    e36/8, W201
    Quote Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
    I have a trunk mounted one too. If I didn't have to remove all the hatch trim parts, I still think it would be easier for a trunk hook up rather than behind the dash basically for routing the cables where I wanted them. It would have been fairly easy to pull the CD changer blank cover and find the cables and plug it in. Getting the input cables to the front would have been a little bit of a pain but very manageable with some minor skill and some stiff wire.

My Cars
    '01 Z3 Coupe, '91 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by fmcfad01 View Post
    If you got the bluetooth GROM dongle, don't expect it to sound good for music. I put one in my M5 and it's pretty worthless when it comes to sound quality. It's probably fine for calls though. I haven't wired up the mic yet, so I haven't really tried it.
    Does anyone know if the Dice Media Bridge has better sound quality, or is it basically the same?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    There must be something wrong with your instal or connection--I get absolutely perfect crystal clear CD quality sound from my iPhone using the GROM bluetooth dongle. I have the iPhone cable to Grom connector, but have never used it since the bluetooth is so good.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M roadster
    What model Grom are you guys running? Thanks

My Cars
    1999 Z3 M roadster

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    I have this one, but for my M5.
    http://gromaudio.com/store/aux_adapt...connector.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    There must be something wrong with your instal or connection--I get absolutely perfect crystal clear CD quality sound from my iPhone using the GROM bluetooth dongle. I have the iPhone cable to Grom connector, but have never used it since the bluetooth is so good.
    Interesting. I just tried it again since I've been relying on the wired AUX cable and it's fine! Thanks for the heads up! I'd basically given up on it. The only thing I changed was the ROM my Galaxy S3 was running since my first post. I assume CyanogenMod team made improvements to Bluetooth since then.

My apologies, seems it was my phone or a ROM issue. Thus, GROM is a very good, cost effective way to get an AUX set up in your car if you need one!
    Last edited by fmcfad01; 02-11-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    G60
    The only issue I have with this unit is that some of my music sounds over amplified causing it to sound muffled at any volume.

Most of the music I download is from a pay site so I know the quality and levels are good.

I think I am going to have to contact GROM about this.

I don't have a whine sound as others have posted.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    On second thought, i think the reason I thought the sound quality sucked was because I had the volume all the way up on my phone. If I leave it there, the sound is clipping. If I turn it down a few clicks, it sounds just as good as the wired connection. This might be your problem Yip.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by duckracer View Post
    Grom USB2

http://gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapt...the_radio.html

My Cars
    G60
    On second thought, i think the reason I thought the sound quality sucked was because I had the volume all the way up on my phone. If I leave it there, the sound is clipping. If I turn it down a few clicks, it sounds just as good as the wired connection. This might be your problem Yip.

Thanks for the info but I am having the problem when running the music off a USB that is plugged into the unit

My Cars
    01 E36/8
    I put a GROM-U2i.2-BMW in my wifes 325i. The sound quality was ok but the phone would only work in BT or USB mode not the radio, which was understandable considering how it was connected (to the CD Changer ckt). It also had a problem keeping up with the music list when using the USB.

I nixed it and went with an Alpine CDE-137BT and a Steering Wheel Control Module. The wiring harness was a challenge to fabricate but the tech support folks at Crutchfield were awesomere. It sounds great, the phone works fine, and the overall operation is a big improvement. I especially like the HD Radio stations I never new we had.

I have the old GROM-U2i.2-BMW with most of the wires if anyone wants it pm me.

LOL, here is the wiring harness I made for the 325i. There are connectors for:
    1) Radio
    2) Steering Wheel Interface
    3) Signal Attenuator Module
    4) Vehicle Harness

And it works.......

I have a Hakko FX-951 soldering iron I bought to work on my Star Trek Next Generation pinball game that made the fabrication easy.
    Last edited by Mach Tuck; 02-12-2013 at 05:57 AM.
    01 M S54 Estoril Coupe (Fun)16 Mini Clubman S(Daily)03 325i (Wifes Car)Your never further away from oblivion than a distracted soccer mom in a SUV.

My Cars
    E30 M3|ACS S3|Hartge H5S
    Does anyone know if all Z3's, regardless of optioning, have the CD Changer cables/harness in the trunk along with the 3 pin connector needed for a GROM unit trunk installation? I'm just about to order from GROM and would like to go with the trunk installation variant but am not near my coupe at the moment to personally get in the trunk and verify for myself that I have the cables/connectors required for the install. I'm under the impression that all Z3's have these pre-wired but don't want to take that impression for granted and be wrong. In my case I have the HK option with subwoofer etc. but no CD Changer. Having the HK option leads me to believe that I have the necessary wiring/connectors for the GROM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi Doom View Post
    I have a trunk mounted one too. If I didn't have to remove all the hatch trim parts, I still think it would be easier for a trunk hook up rather than behind the dash basically for routing the cables where I wanted them. It would have been fairly easy to pull the CD changer blank cover and find the cables and plug it in. Getting the input cables to the front would have been a little bit of a pain but very manageable with some minor skill and some stiff wire.
    Old thread I know, but if you don't mind my asking how would you plan to run any input cables from the trunk into the cabin? I thought the partition which separates the trunk from the front cabin had no access points between the two to run anything through..?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxmett318 View Post
    FYI: On my 95 M3 I run an AFE intake and my car sounds like "Chewbacca." lol

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Well, my M Coupe had never had a CD unit in it, but it did have the harness, so i used a BavSound interface box to the CD changer connection for my iPod, which is now controlled by the OEM radio.

I didn't find a good place to run the cable either, so I just looped it over the right side by the door and ran it behind the seat. Hope to find a better way when I disassemble the back for the car to install my Rogue RSM's.

Marty

My Cars
    e36/8, W201
    Quote Originally Posted by MTRD3 View Post
    Old thread I know, but if you don't mind my asking how would you plan to run any input cables from the trunk into the cabin? I thought the partition which separates the trunk from the front cabin had no access points between the two to run anything through..?
    I ran the cable up to the tray right beside the handbrake because that's usually where my phone sits. If you remove the screws behind the passenger seat that hold the plastic bulkhead parts in place you can shove a wire down behind the passenger seat from the CD changer access port. Then if you remove the screws from the center console on the passenger side you can push the wires up in side the center console. I would try shoving the wires down behind the passenger seat first, pulling through how much you need and then shove it back up under the plastic trim parts to hide it and secure it.