Thread: Great message board....

My Cars
    06 X5, 06 911, 01 Z3

Great message board....

I have been involved in BMW's for many years going back to the early 70's and 2002's, tii's etc (35 years)
    Back then of course, before AL GORE invented the internet (HA) we had monthly meetings usually at some restaurant in the NYC metro area and we'd get 20 - 40 cars, dinner, then outside with hoods up....this was how we communicated..
    For the last few (20 or 30) years I have been less involved with the cars, still BMW's but buying newer cars that had warranty.
    Now having the time to "play" more I needed a project, so I bought a really cheap Z3 (96 1.9 Roady) that the p/o cosmetically abused and I am putting it back in shape.
    This message board this been invaluable and YOU GUYS are GREAT
    Thanks
    Daniel (ex VP and Editor of the Die Zugspitze NY chapter, now in FT Lauderdale)
    BMWCCA # 12660 (got my 35 year pin in the mail)
    PCA 30 Years..........
    X5 06 3.0 Saphire Black/Tan-- Ours
    Z 3 01 2.5/5 Topaz/Tan (was 96 Silver)-- Mine
    911 (997S) 06 Cab/Tip Guards/Black -- Hers/Ours?

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe
    Welcome to the Z community.
    2000 Z3 MCoupe, '01 LSB E46 M3, '99 GTI VR6, '06 Audi A4, Andrew '95 Avus M3

My Cars
    01MCoup-02WRX-04MCS-86TV
    thanks! and welcome!

1999 - S52 - E36/8 - Alpine White over Imola Red

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Welcome!
    2002 Alpine White w/ Black 368 (<OO \(||][||)/ OO>)
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps
    Coming soon: and a visit to Randy Forbes

My Cars
    02 Mroady,2007 Z4 coupe
    Also welcome

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by dak911 View Post
    I have been involved in BMW's for many years going back to the early 70's and 2002's, tii's etc (35 years)
    Back then of course, before AL GORE invented the internet (HA)...
    Gore encouraged government development of the military Arpanet for civilian purposes.
    I just arrived at this forum, too, and am very disappointed to find such a comment. Please don't do that here.

My Cars
    06 X5, 06 911, 01 Z3
    LIGHTEN up....
    PCA 30 Years..........

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    Gore encouraged government development of the military Arpanet for civilian purposes.
    I just arrived at this forum, too, and am very disappointed to find such a comment. Please don't do that here.
    Patience, tolerance, intelligent discourse and acceptance of others' opinions are virtues.

Quite another thing altogether to get all butt-hurt over them...

Forums in general tend to be kind of a free-for-all, depending on how egregious someone may get. The trick is to put your filters on and not to "throw the baby out with the bath water".

Oh, and OP, welcome to the board. It has been a fantastic resource for me and I hope it is the same for you.
    Last edited by dkindig; 12-28-2012 at 06:01 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Quote Originally Posted by dkindig View Post
    Patience, tolerance, intelligent discourse and acceptance of others' opinions are virtues...
    Agreed.
    I was BMW CCA 1405 in 1971, started the local club in 1983, did the newsletter, owned the cars for fifteen years. Also moderated two BMW motorcycle forums for ten years.
    Is Gore "inventing" the Internet relevant here?

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    I think the Gore comment was tongue-in-cheek and is a common joke used seemingly weekly on late night tv. The point was about how people met prior to the Internet.

I read things that offend me on the net but they have to be really directed at me for me to speak up. As mentioned, a big dose of tolerance goes a long way on the 'net.

Vintage42, I'm sorry that there were comments here that offended you. As one of the moderators it is my job to present a pleasant environment for all.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    06 X5, 06 911, 01 Z3
    I am sorry that I brought up the INTERNET at all, "its's a JOKE son"
    MY apology sorry sorry sorry....
    Can we quit this now?
    PCA 30 Years..........

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    NO worries, dak911.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 M roadster
    and all this time I thought it was the in-tra-net....damn

My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mehig View Post
    Intranet is the term for a secure net within an individual company. Ford's internal network, for example, would be their intranet.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 M roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by mehig View Post
    Joke

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Well, all that silliness aside, welcome to the forum. Say anything you like from my perspective (except don't start a new thread on new Ferrari coupe and its resemblance to the M Coupe).

My Cars
    1997 z3 roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage42 View Post
    George HW Bush signed that into law!
    It's a Hybrid--Burns Gas and Rubber

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    I am sorry that I brought up the INTERNET at all, "its's a JOKE son"...
    Where is the joke?
    Gore did not say he invented the internet. It was a cruel distortion of his good efforts as a technically-aware public servant to bring a military invention into our lives:
    http://www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp
    and
    Gore is the person who, in the Congress, most systematically worked to make sure that we got to an Internet.
    --Newt Gingrich
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Gore...ion_technology
    Who is the son? I am 70 years old.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT
    Ya'll stop this bickerin'...

RIGHT MEOW

Last edited by 2000mkoop; 01-03-2013 at 04:37 PM.

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry F. View Post
    As one of the moderators it is my job to present a pleasant environment for all.

Terry

Just bustin yer chops Terry.

It's ironic that a genuinely gracious thread entitled "Great Message Board" has begun circling the proverbial bowl because of precisely the reason so many internet forums are so horrible.

IE: Someone makes a tongue and cheek comment that 99% of viewers recognize as such, and someone representing the 1% gets all butt-hurt and keyboard cock strong because they just didn't get it to begin with and then feel obligated to defend a pointless position.

Damn you irony.

/facepalm
    Last edited by clintjg; 01-03-2013 at 11:33 AM.
    Power: Custom Exhaust w/ High Flow cats, CSL headers, built, low-compression Supercharged and aftercooled S-54, ViPEC standalone ECU, Vortech V2 Si trim
    Driveline: Euro 6 speed, 3.64 diff w/ 40% Lockup, Rogue Octane SSK, UUC Red TME kit, UUC Stage 3 LTW Flywheel/M5 Clutch, SS Shift Knob
    Suspension & Brakes: TC Kline True Match Coilovers 500f/500r w/ adjustable camber plates, Racing Dynamics sways, Custom front sway endlinks, ATE fluid, UUC/Willwood BBK 6 piston f - 4 piston r , Slotted E46M3 Rotors, Stainless Lines, Strong Strut, IE Subframe & adjustable rear trailing arm bushings
    ICE & Misc: Projector Z's w/DDE & 5k HID, 19'' Gold HRE C20's, Custom Aux pwr outlet, footwell lighting, ACS Splitters, Areo Sideskirts, Custom gauge pods, Z8 Start, Pioneer AVIC Z3, Clarus Components, 10" RE Sub in a Mister-X Enclosure, Alpine PDX 4X150 + 1X600 Amps

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Solid post clintjg. Wood reed agen.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Really, this forum is about a lot of things, mostly to do with Z3's. But it is not about politics--we made it through the entire election cycle without any politics coming up, and I would like to think that if we did that, we can avoid it altogether. There are lots of places to discuss politics on the net, this just isn't one of them. This is a place to talk about cars--our cars to be precise. No matter a member's political persuasion, religion, nationality, ethnic background, age, profession, gender, or any other thing that differentiates people, we all share one thing in common that overpowers all those others and binds us together as a community. Lets keep it that way.

My Cars
    06 X5, 06 911, 01 Z3
    OK, right on, can we move ahead, one more time I guess my 78 year old brain thinks differently......I'M SORRY....
    PCA 30 Years..........

My Cars
    E36/8, K12R, E91
    OK, right on, can we move ahead, one more time I guess my 78 year old brain thinks differently......I'M SORRY....
    PLEASE don't apologize!!!