Thread: Strong Strut body/rear Brace

My Cars
    2001 S/C Z3M Roadster

Strong Strut body/rear Brace

I am looking at the Strong Strut Body Brace and Rear Brace for my M. It has a SS Front Brace installed now . Any feedback on these would be appreciated because I'm hoping to get my car ready for some track sessions next summer but only drove it home after purchase and it is now in storage - no chance to explore its handling first-hand . It has H/R coil-over suspension that I think has about 20000 miles on it . all bushings are good and it felt tight on the 1500 mile drive home .
    thanks
    Wayne

My Cars
    Z3 Track prepped DASC
    You will lose just a little ground clearance, may or may not be noticeable.
    I don't think the braces should be done before rear subframe bushings especially on a Track car, they will improve handling more than you think.
    There are some Track prep items I would do first but the brace is OK if you want.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Plenty have been sold, and most claim it makes a difference, but it's a poor engineering design__I've seen the damage the pieces leave behind.

If you do decide to fit it/them, FREQUENTLY check the fasteners for loosening!! Besides minimizing any potential gains, the slotted (one size fits all) mounting tabs at the front will chew up the hardware. And if you snag anything at the rear, you can expect the suspension carrier mounting studs to get bent.

The front Strong Strut is fine__well thought out and constructed__but I feel that Paul should've just stopped there.

My Cars
    02 Mroady,2007 Z4 coupe
    I have bout on my Roady and they are great. The ground clearance could be a problem with a lowered car but mine isn`t lowered and I have no issues.
    I know the car handles much better now than stock.

My Cars
    Z3M, X5M
    I have it on my roadster and it will def reduce the flexing. IMO the rear-end feels more stable and predictable when pushed to the limit.

If you get this notice before and after brace when jacking the car up on one side. You'll see how much the chassis flex/twists. Also be very conscience of your ground clearance!
    -Phil

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32
    I looked into this when I bought my first zed. I ended up buying the front strong strut from Paul Ebayer. A piece of good looking, excellent workmanship that did tremendously much for the stability of the front end of my 2.8, and worth every penny including S/H to Sweden. I have transferred it to my current M-roadster.

But the rear strut? I read all the testimonials on the website and I could not see that anybody really, objectively noticed any difference.

I do not even understand how it could work? Its positioned in one of the least flexible parts of the car just beneath the rear torpedo wall or am I mistaken?

The same goes for the body brace. Wouldn't they just work as torsional rods and their help for stability be minimal?

And then you have Randy's experiences... so I opted out.

And if you haven't changed your bushings to polyurethane - start with that, and do look out for the popped spot welds (I feel tempted to nickname them the poop welds but that would be use of indecent or puerile language so I will of course not do that).
    Last edited by Kornknarr; 12-18-2012 at 06:57 AM.

My Cars
    2001 S/C Z3M Roadster

Strut brace

Thank everyone for your input!! I can now make an informed decision.
    Your informed opinions are what makes the forumn great!
    Wayne

My Cars
    00 MR 21 Acura RDX
    My previous Z, I just had the front. My current car has both. I personally do not notice a difference, but the guy I bought the car from is a very meticulous German engineer, who works in the automotive industry. I doubt he would have installed for the heck of it. He was the only other owner and really maintained the car. with 19,000 miles at the time it was perfect.