Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Put away for winter

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster

Put away for winter

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    Looks cold already. You take good care of her, though.

Terry

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    It does look cold--but it's not yet! I store it about 20 miles from my house, and I need to get into storage before it snows--they salt the roads here, and it's never seen salt, so I always have to put it to bed early, or risk being trapped in my (unheated) garage all winter. It was nice this weekend, got some driving in, and decided discretion was the better part of valor. Washed and waxed and covered. Storage is heated, dry, wood floor over 5' air gap. I've got it on a float trickle charger, but still have to remove the hard top and put the soft top up for the winter.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    LOL you guys.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    I guess there're no mods left to do on your car, you've pretty much got them covered. Good time to go back to the wood working projects__at least any failures can be used for heating in the fireplace...

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    I guess there're no mods left to do on your car, you've pretty much got them covered. Good time to go back to the wood working projects__at least any failures can be used for heating in the fireplace...
    Well, I was thinking about an HD clutch, a 6 speed conversion, stage2 for the SC, I have the vanos rebuild all lined up and ready to do, a 68mm offset bore throttle to install, a new center console shifter surround to instal, new trans mounts to instal, the sift pin fix (and drifts) ready (in case I don't go with the 6 speed), I want to replace the factory amp with an amplified 8 channel digital signal processor (JBL MS8), I want to replace the front bumper cover with new, and, if I do the 6 speed, I would like a 3.46 rear end to match (a compromise between stock and the 3.73). But yes, I do need to make some progress on the library before I launch into those.

I got side tracked with rebuilding two salvage Volvo's (one a Cross Country wagon for my niece that ended up needing new half shafts on account of a lazy tow driver I didn't expect, and got a very thorough going through indeed) and helping my brother in law do a head job on my nephew's Volvo 940 (a salvage rebuild I gave him a few years ago and which he managed to overheat), replacing the wheel bearings on my V70 DD, and tracking down and replacing a bad ABS module on my wife's DD 9-3, and, oh yeah, building the 99' M Roadster that the tree fell on. I am also keeping an eye on the salvage pools in NY and NJ for when the Sandy salvage begins to hit the market--I really want to put together an M5 if I get the chance, and maybe a Volvo C30 or two if I can get a good flood car for parts.

If it weren't for this pesky law practice taking up all my time, I might actually get something accomplished. Oh, and for the record, while you're sitting on the beach keeping your eyes open for topless beauties, it is raining now, and supposed to drop into the 30's tomorrow with a possibility of snow or sleet, and stay there all week. I know you must miss it here.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Ahh Ralph, you crack me up Never a dull moment with you around, and I have to think that the people around you are lucky indeed!

I wish that I had met you sooner and that we had lived closer.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Ahh Ralph, you crack me up Never a dull moment with you around, and I have to think that the people around you are lucky indeed!

I wish that I had met you sooner and that we had lived closer.
    Indeed, we would have had fun.

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Any problems with flat spots on the tires in the spring?

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by LSBRoadster
    Any problems with flat spots on the tires in the spring?
    No, I generally roll it around the shop a few times during the long winter lay up to do work on it--to the lift or under a heater or on the concrete floor, so I think that helps.

My Cars
    2005 325XI
    Mr. Bingley

You could fashion some ramps made from Trex that you could have the tires sit on during the winter and inflate tires to around 40lbs.
    Now I know why they call you Mr. Bingley, you married Jane in Pride & Prejudice, you ole dog you !

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by io14 View Post
    Mr. Bingley

You could fashion some ramps made from Trex that you could have the tires sit on during the winter and inflate tires to around 40lbs.
    Now I know why they call you Mr. Bingley, you married Jane in Pride & Prejudice, you ole dog you !
    You are correct indeed, except that I married Elizabeth (my wife is in fact named Elizabeth, which technically makes me Mr. Darcy), Mr. Bingley is my cat, but he is named after the Mr. Bingley of Pride and Prejudice fame--my wife is an English professor--our other cat is George, after George Sand. I have used Mr. Bingley as my online name for many years now--you can find me on Saab and Volvo forums, and I used to be very active on various PDAphonehome forums--PPC6600, PPC6700, PPC6900--back before Microsoft abandoned the Windows Mobile operating system (it is amazing how much better the iPhone is than WM was, but I put so much work into mastering that system that I still feel a little burned). On eBay I am mrbingley01.

My Cars
    2005 325XI
    I knew it, although I'll have to call you Mr.Darcy now ! like your vehicle mine is sitting with it's winter cover on it until spring time, enjoy Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years ! Cheers !

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by io14 View Post
    I knew it, although I'll have to call you Mr.Darcy now ! like your vehicle mine is sitting with it's winter cover on it until spring time, enjoy Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years ! Cheers !
    I'm not so formal as that stuffy cat of mine--Darcy will do. Enjoy the holidays yourself--it will be April before we know it.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Joined you.

Still a bunch planned for the winter but at least I now have created a space to work on it.
    Last edited by Wertles; 11-16-2012 at 06:13 PM.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    2005 325XI
    nice job on the winterization of the Coupe !

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    I'm going to take this winter to seriously look to rehabilitating the Z for all the ticky tacky little things getting under my skin.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Wow Chris, up on jackstands and wheels off, now that is serious winterization. I'm going to visit mine tomorrow--I think I left a half full Starbucks in the drink holder, and I have to remove the hard top and put the rag top up. Might do a serious interior cleaning too. Just let me know if you get around to the vanos job before Spring.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Ya, tires off. Need some new rear rubber and if taxes are good to me, I am going to have the Equips refinished. I am hopefully picking up a new midpipe this week so up on the jack stands it is. It was going up anyway. I am going through every nut and bolt again this winter to make sure everything is nice and snug. I noticed today the rotors are starting to get a pretty decent lip on them. They will make it through next year but definitely on the list for next winter. The only way I will get to the VANOS before spring is if we have a winter like last winter and the snowmobiles stay in the trailer instead of the trails.
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
    ...The only way I will get to the VANOS before spring is if we have a winter like last winter and the snowmobiles stay in the trailer instead of the trails.
    Yeah, I don't think we get two winters like that in a row--I'm guessing a LOT or snow this year.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 2.8l
    I would like to put mine up on jacks as well, but I was told it's not good to have an unloaded suspension (H&R & Koni combo) for extended periods of time. Any truth to this?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    Quote Originally Posted by Pthurlow View Post
    I would like to put mine up on jacks as well, but I was told it's not good to have an unloaded suspension (H&R & Koni combo) for extended periods of time. Any truth to this?
    I have heard that as well but have never confirmed it. I am plan on using a few pieces of strategically placed 2X4's to half load the suspension if I hear that it is not a good idea to keep them unloaded.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles View Post
    Ya, tires off. Need some new rear rubber and if taxes are good to me
    If tax's are good to you this year, You better enjoy it this year - That will be a thing of the past in 2013 and beyond!
    Visit my Homepage, I have posted many pictures of some the motorcycles / cars I have owned & built over the years - http://www.picturetrail.com/tomhudson

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    So Thursday I was mad at myself or putting the car away. It was almost 70 and sunny. This morning was a kick back into reality. I was following the snow plow watching him drop salt all over the road. I'm glad my car is tucked away for the winter.

My Cars
    Z3 Coupe, ZHP, E46 M3
    Same here, 60 Thursday morning, 25 and snowing Friday morning. Now the roads are white with salt...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast