Thread: Rvm delete

My Cars
    2006 Porsche C2S Cab

Rvm delete

this is tongue in cheek, but the other day getting off the freeway at my exit for work I caught a pretty good bump where the pavers are fixing the ramp.

My Rear View Mirror dropped to the floor on the passenger side floor. I laughed for quite while at that, but was immediately blown away by just how much I could see.

Coming off the exit, there's an immediate 180 right hand turn. It was awesome. I could see EVERYTHING.

So, I know it's not "legal" but, I decided to tweak my side mirror settings a bit and roll with the RVM DELETE MOD™ for a minute.

My daily commute is typically on empty or near empty twisty coastal roads and amazing switchbacks up and over a mountain. It's about an hour each way.

I've spent so much time ducking under that mirror lately that I find myself involuntarily ducking any time I'm turning right when walking through my studio at work. - well not really, but.

So it's been about 4 days without the RVM, and although I won't keep it that way, I've REALLY enjoyed the full view around every corner and at every 4 way stop very very much.

It really is amazing how much that mirror blocks the view, especially noticeable when the mirror is missing.

I would liken it to the feeling one has when they get used to their seats sliding back and forth for a year or so, and then you put in the new seat bushings.

Makes me want to get one of those tiny Lotus mirrors some folks have been running.

Anybody else running this "Mod" or something more "legal" besides the Gary Adapter?

-Dan

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 5 speed
    It might be worth checking that it is legally required. Here in the UK I believe it's not a legal requirement to have a rear view mirror on the windscreen as long as you have wing mirrors.

For example, if you have a vehicle with no rear window, eg a van, there can't be a requirement for a windscreen-mounted mirror.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    I know not all vehicles have them required. Panel vans with no windows in the back don't need them. You may find you're legal without it.

Edit: Yah, what BR919 said.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe

-Ed Hands
    MaxPSI Stg2 Turbo
    R.Forbes magic F&R
    100K Original owner miles.
    Proud member of the BF.c FI - Big Torque Club (>500wtq Dyno Results)

My Cars
    2006 Porsche C2S Cab
    I've discovered this:

http://www.defend-me.com/california-...6700-26712.asp

26709. (a) Every motor vehicle registered in a foreign jurisdiction
    and every motorcycle subject to registration in this state shall be
    equipped with a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view
    of the highway for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of
    such vehicle.

Every motor vehicle subject to registration in this state, except
    a motorcycle, shall be equipped with not less than two such mirrors,
    including one affixed to the left-hand side.

(b) The following described types of motor vehicles, of a type
    subject to registration, shall be equipped with mirrors on both the
    left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle so located as to reflect to
    the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance
    of at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle:

(1) A motor vehicle so constructed or loaded as to obstruct the
    driver's view to the rear.
    (2) A motor vehicle towing a vehicle and the towed vehicle or load
    thereon obstructs the driver's view to the rear.
    (3) A bus or trolley coach.
    (c) The provisions of subdivision (b) shall not apply to a
    passenger vehicle when the load obstructing the driver's view
    consists of passengers.

And according to the California DMV Test Vehicle Requirements:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures...cts/ffdl22.htm

• A windshield that allows a full unobstructed field of vision.
    • Two rear view mirrors (one must be on the outside, to the driver’s left).

Haha! I mean, the Z3 WITH the rearview mirror certainly doesn't have an unobstructed field of vision (!!!)

I figured the rearview mirror thing was obvious with panel trucks and vehicles with no rear windows but I think I just assumed they were mandatory on all passenger cars.

This is quite interesting. I'm pretty sure I will put a windshield mounted rear view mirror on again at some point- just because I like seeing everything around me, but it appears that maybe I'm not actually required to have one.

Wow. Learn something new every day.
    Last edited by SNR727; 11-03-2012 at 09:23 PM.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    I couldn't stand the location of the interior mirror in my '99 Coupe. There was just a big blind spot. I installed a mirror from an '03 Mini Cooper by modifying an e36 mount.

I'm 6' tall, and with the seat fully lowered, the stock mirror was nearly in the center of my viewing area just right of straight ahead. The Cooper mirror is a similar oval shape to the original, and is 9" wide overall. The final location has the bottom edge at 4.5" from the point where the headliner meets the windshield glass (sorry to the Roady owners for not having a better point of reference to measure from).

I have forgotten how bad the blind spot was as I quickly got used to the new fuller view out the windshield. There is still some blind spot, but the Cooper mirror is located much higher, out of the forward viewing area. It is also big enough to still be fully functional to see whats behind you, as opposed to the Lotus mirror.
    -Donny

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The coupe is much better than the roadster!! I was going to remove the interior mirror from my car, but the mount proved to be stronger than the glass. Ooops. And Virginia is minimum two mirrors; left and center or left and right.

/.randy

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    I just removed my RVM from my M Coupe. I was just sick of ducking around it and i almost took out a mom and kids one rainy day, so that was it !!!!. Now, my V1 is mounted up high and tight and my SVMs are positioned perfect for clear view behind and blindspot coverage. I've built a modified small rectangular mirror with a wooden rectangle piece using the camlock from the OEM mirror for track days. Other than that, i'm glad to be rid of it.. I'll take my chances on a fix-it ticket. I keep the spare mirror in the glovebox just in case.

My Cars
    '00 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by SNR727 View Post
    My daily commute is typically on empty or near empty twisty coastal roads and amazing switchbacks up and over a mountain. It's about an hour each way.

My Cars
    2006 Porsche C2S Cab
    yeah i have a 4-way intersection in my neighborhood that has 2 lanes heading west, 2 lanes heading east, and 1 lane each north and south. At least 2 times a week, a car would just appear in the middle of the intersection when my mirror was in place. It's nerve racking.

Now I see everything -

Donny, I'd love to see a pic with the Cooper mirror.

dcrothers - any pix of your custom config?

I've always thought a dash mounted mirror might work, but I've heard a lot of folks say they vibrate way too much.

BiloxiGuy- you can say that again. The roads out here are just amazing. It's a great place to live.

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    It's a pretty sloppy set-up, but it is only a model. I am considering taking to a fabricator to refine the design and make it out of aluminum.
    The mirror is a cheap model from Autozone.

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/v...cd1d30d33b21f1

OOOPS! forgot the photo link.

Having trouble with photo link. Sorry.
    Last edited by dcrothers; 11-04-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    Trying again to post pictures
    My model here is a sloppy rendition, but you'll get the idea.

http://s1338.beta.photobucket.com/us...hers1/library/

My Cars
    99 M Coupe,04 K1200rs
    I always popped it off on Sundays for AX visibility, but the windshield glue let go last year, and I've just learned to enjoy the better visibility all the time.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 & 1982 320is
    I thought I was the only one....my mirror fell off three years ago and I never went back! Oem mirror is way to big and it takes up way to much view....I think in a z3 it was actually a hazard.

98 Roady M44
    * Auto to 5 Speed Swap
    * 3.73 LSD Diff swap
    * e46 330i Staggered Wheels
    * H&R Springs & Sways with Bilstein Sports

82 320is
    * 5-speed, LSD, Recaro Seats & Completely Stock

My Cars
    1999 Z3 MC, 2000 540it
    I drive without my rvm now. I keep my frankenstein build mirror in the glovebox in case
    i get puller over and the officer insists i need one.