Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Dinan/Fikse small-bore 18" wheel build thread

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4

My Dinan/Fikse small-bore 18" wheel build thread

UPDATE!!!

INSTALLED!!! Here's one of the 'installed' pics for those who don't want to go to page 3 for them...

Specs, for those with short attention spans:
    Front
    18 x 8.5"
    2.5" lip, 6" barrel
    Measured offset 24.6mm
    Tires are 245/35 Bridgestone Potenza S-04

Rear
    18 x 10"
    3.5" lip, 6.5" barrel
    Measured offset 18mm
    Tires are 285/30 Bridgestone Potenza S-04

Centers are Fikse/Dinan (Dinan serial numbers) with Dinan center caps. Front wheel halves are Fiske, rear halves are aftermarket parts. Valve stems are BBS 35mm (56.15.001), purchased from SFX Performance.

--------Original original post begins--------

All, I am very happy with the gorgeous set of Dinan/Fikse FM5s I recently purchased, and like Asim and Larry, and countless others out there, I really want to build my wheels to perfect specs...

Currently these are square - 18x9 all around (6" barrel, 3" lip). I took measurements to calculate the offset myself, but from the PO, it is close to +23mm.

I'm not going to go any wider than 10" for the rear wheels (3.5" lip, 6.5" barrel), and will run a 275/35 18 tire.

For the fronts, I was planning on 8" wide (2" lip, 6" barrel), with a 245/40 18 tire.

HOWEVER... I just test-fitted one of the front wheels as currently-configured, and here's what I found (photos below):

Running 0 camber, the rim sticks out about (EDIT) 3/4", which is 3/4" too much (end EDIT - previously read 1/2"). Running full negative camber (this is on TCKline coilovers and camber plates, so -3*), the rim is perfectly flush with the hood. I'm not running an incredible drop, and I think that -3* camber is a bit too aggressive for the street (and my tires), so as cheeky as it would be to run 9" wide wheels with 3" lips, I think I may have to re-configure the fronts in addition to the rears.

Unfortunately, it looks like 2" lips are the LEAST available option around, and the next best thing are 1.5" lips. Of course, 1.5" lips with my 6" barrels is a bit, well, stock, and probably wouldn't work great with a 245 section width tire. That of course means I'd have to buy new barrels (6.5") as well to maintain the 8" desired width with 1.5" lips. Man, it would be so much easier if I could just keep the wheels at the current 9" width!

So a question:
    Who here is running max negative camber on a daily-driven car?

[IMG] Dinan FM5 (3) by BMWBergy, on Flickr[/IMG]

No camber:
    [IMG] IMG_9503 by BMWBergy, on Flickr[/IMG]

Max Negative camber:
    [IMG] IMG_9505 by BMWBergy, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 06-30-2013 at 12:30 AM.

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    These wheels look fantastic.

You should try to get the car a little lower for your test fit, looks like the suspension is not fully loaded.

Here's a picture of my rear setup when it was 18x10 et17. Perfectly flush but not at full droop. At full droop it was sunken in .5"

I still think you should rebuild these for an epic 9" and 11" setup, since you're taking them apart anyway. Might as well spend the extra couple hundred for 7" inners if that's what you need to make the fronts perfect.

It's not reasonable to run full negative camber to make that wheel fit. If you're going to do that, might as well go 9.5". You can easily run a 9" wheel at your minimum camber setting, that's what I'm doing. Guessing you'll need a 2" and 7" setup? Unless the offsets are wrong.

Don't forget you can sell your old step up setup

My Cars
    RX-78-2, RX-93v
    Why so narro in the front?

Why so narrow in the front?
    Last edited by Amuro Ray; 10-31-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Amuro Ray
    Why so narro in the front?

Why so narrow in the front?
    I don't think 8" width is really all that narrow... It's certainly not WIDE either, but not narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by f50nut
    These wheels look fantastic.

You should try to get the car a little lower for your test fit, looks like the suspension is not fully loaded.

Here's a picture of my rear setup when it was 18x10 et17. Perfectly flush but not at full droop. At full droop it was sunken in .5"

I still think you should rebuild these for an epic 9" and 11" setup, since you're taking them apart anyway. Might as well spend the extra couple hundred for 7" inners if that's what you need to make the fronts perfect.

It's not reasonable to run full negative camber to make that wheel fit. If you're going to do that, might as well go 9.5". You can easily run a 9" wheel at your minimum camber setting, that's what I'm doing. Guessing you'll need a 2" and 7" setup? Unless the offsets are wrong.

Don't forget you can sell your old step up setup
    My jack had already disengaged the jack point, so it was loaded.

Based on current supply (multiple sets of 6" barrels, but only one set of 7" barrels available), I can go 8.5 front and 9.5 rear OR 8 front and 10 or 10.5 rear.

David
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 10-31-2012 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 E36/8, 2007 E90
    No more Kinesis?

My Cars
    E368 / E30 M3 / 997 GT2
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWBergy View Post
    My jack had already disengaged the jack point, so it was loaded.

Based on current supply (multiple sets of 6" barrels, but only one set of 7" barrels available), I can go 8.5 front and 9.5 rear OR 8 front and 10 or 10.5 rear.

David
    Yeah I hear you, but same thing was happening to me even with the jack fully disengaged. The wheel binds on the wood blocks.

Have you checked with both Thatcher and Paul (336motorsports)? They should be able to get you what you need.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by StarReaver
    No more Kinesis?
    They are going to be in my garage, and I'll be listing them for sale. I really like them, but these FM-5s will be very unique.

Quote Originally Posted by f50nut

Yeah I hear you, but same thing was happening to me even with the jack fully disengaged. The wheel binds on the wood blocks.

Have you checked with both Thatcher and Paul (336motorsports)? They should be able to get you what you need.
    Yes on Thatcher. Paul only had kinesis halves, which won't work. I think I may have convinced thatcher to sell me the 2" lips, so I may have snagged the 2+6 combo for the front and 3.5 + 6.5 for the rear!
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 10-31-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Yellow Pants
    They will look great, I'm sure.

But when you are putting in all this time and money, why go with a setup that leaves a lot of room for improvement? Why compromise? It's like buying a new M3, but making sure to uncheck all the boxes to get the most basic model.

Really though- 18x9 & 18x11 - et27/13 is wonderfully perfect for our cars. No Stretch or much camber required. The parts are there, and Rotiform can get you matching halves too supposedly.

FWIW: I'm running -3* camber on swapped hats, and with 18x9 et27, I could probably easily go another .5" outward to remain flush with my fenders using 245/40/18s. Substantial tire wear really comes much more from bad toe, than camber alone.
    Last edited by hexagone; 10-31-2012 at 03:38 PM.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by hexagone View Post
    They will look great, I'm sure.

But when you are putting in all this time and money, why go with a setup that leaves a lot of room for improvement? Why compromise? It's like buying a new M3, but making sure to uncheck all the boxes to get the most basic model.
    Doesn't the basic model M Coupe have no sunroof? Isn't that more valuable now?

My Cars
    Yellow Pants
    Quote Originally Posted by jajou318 View Post
    Doesn't the basic model M Coupe have no sunroof? Isn't that more valuable now?
    Perhaps. But I don't think anyone would've guessed that evergreen or certain coupe color combos would be very desirable now ceither.

My Cars
    Evergreen Z3 M Coupe
    Looking forward to seeing these finished and on the car!
    @Thatcher . Evergreen Z3 M Coupe . New York NY
    thatcherindustries.com . independentwheel.com

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatcher View Post
    Looking forward to seeing these finished and on the car!
    Me too. This is not a cheap process, but the result should look pretty fantastic!

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT
    if those are indeed 18x9 et23, then that's nearly identical outer position to my 18x9.5 et30 front setup i had on my previous coupe (255/35 tires, GC coils+plates, not maxed out camber, set at -1.0 on the plate markings)

Honestly, i'd be willing to try an even more aggressive 10" front setup if it were street/show only, but this setup was also tracked quite a bit

so here's that for reference:

Last edited by 2000mkoop; 10-31-2012 at 10:40 PM.

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000mkoop View Post
    if those are indeed 18x9 et23, then that's nearly identical outer position to my 18x9.5 et30 front setup i had on my previous coupe (255/35 tires, GC coils+plates, not maxed out camber, set at -1.0 on the plate markings)

Honestly, i'd be willing to try an even more aggressive 10" front setup if it were street/show only, but this setup was also tracked quite a bit
    Well, if true, that would have saved me $700. I checked with the 1010tire wheel calculator, and your fitment would have been 1mm further in (2mm if the offset on these wheels is 22mm). It's funny, because I just don't see it... mine was just way too far out.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 99 528iT
    hmmmm...maybe measure your backspacing and wheel width, make sure everything jives?

My Cars
    E34, E368
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000mkoop View Post

Hoping not to thread jack, but this helps give me a better idea of what to do with my fronts. Currently at 17x8.5 et12, if I put a 7" barrel on it and reuse the 2.5" lip, then I'lll be at 17x9.5 et24.7 on the front. If I got new 2" lips, I'd be at et31.1.

My Cars
    Yellow Pants
    Quote Originally Posted by clevertd View Post
    Hoping not to thread jack, but this helps give me a better idea of what to do with my fronts. Currently at 17x8.5 et12, if I put a 7" barrel on it and reuse the 2.5" lip, then I'lll be at 17x9.5 et24.7 on the front. If I got new 2" lips, I'd be at et31.1.
    If you're starting out at 17x8.5 et12, you're not off to an ideal start. That's e34/e30 m3 offset, which only works with a small tire and camber. SO while you can get some inside depth and run a slightly wider tire, it won't help that you'll still need noticable camber. The .5" smaller width would alleviate that- but who likes small lips?

My Cars
    Z3M | E36 | E46
    If you're starting out at 17x8.5 et12, you're not off to an ideal start. That's e34/e30 m3 offset, which only works with a small tire and camber. SO while you can get some inside depth and run a slightly wider tire, it won't help that you'll still need noticable camber. The .5" smaller width would alleviate that- but who likes small lips?
    Not true, even if he just moves to 7" inners the resultant 17x9.5 +25 will fit a 245/40 without more than -2.5 camber necessary.
    Last edited by Mystikal; 11-02-2012 at 11:32 AM.

My Cars
    Yellow Pants
    Quote Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
    Not true, even if he just moves to 7" inners the resultant 17x9.5 +25 will fit a 245/40 without more than -2.5 camber necessary.
    As I said, not ideal. It's possible, but I don't know if I'd do it personally.

For accurate reference, the below is 18x9 et27 with -3.1 degrees of camber on 245/40/18.

Doing any setup that starts with 17x8.5 et12 pushes the below out another 9mm. So yes, it'll fit. But if you're looking to drop it significantly, I imagine you'll start rubbing (which I don't).

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4

For accurate reference, the below is 18x9 et27 with -3.1 degrees of camber on 245/40/18.

Doing any setup that starts with 17x8.5 et12 pushes the below out another 9mm. So yes, it'll fit. But if you're looking to drop it significantly, I imagine you'll start rubbing (which I don't).
    Asim, what kind of camber do you normally run up front? Are you typically at -3.1*?

My Cars
    E34, E368
    The .5" smaller width would alleviate that- but who likes small lips?
    Exactly Dunno if I should stick with these or throw them on my E34 and find something else for the shoe. Interested in what camber you run as well, as stated by Bergy.

My Cars
    2000 Mcoupe estoril blue
    I thought you had been running 245/35/18 tires on your fronts?

- bill -

My Cars
    Yellow Pants
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWBergy View Post
    Asim, what kind of camber do you normally run up front? Are you typically at -3.1*?
    According to my most recent alignment, I'm at -3.1* with swapped hats. It's aggressive, and yes I'm driving around like this every day. But it's still within spec to what TCK's track camber spec is.

And my bad, it's 245/35/18, not 40. oops.

My Cars
    Z3M | E36 | E46

With a 17x9.5 +25, the outside edge of the wheel will be 9mm further out but the tire's centerline is only 2mm off. Combined with the slightly wider section width that the 9.5" provides, the fitment will be 4-5mm further out. There is plenty of space for that miniscule difference, as setups such a 2000mkoop's (18x9.5 +30 255/35) show.

My Cars
    Z3M Coupe & Roadster
    Perhaps. But I don't think anyone would've guessed that evergreen or certain coupe color combos would be very desirable now ceither.
    I was just busting your balls, I understand what you are saying though. If it were me though... I'd make them a size to where you can afford the tires.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast