Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: OT - besides your Z, what do you do?

My Cars
    M coupe / M3 / 525i

OT - besides your Z, what do you do?

I've owned several other bimmers but never encountered such a tight knit facet within the BMW community as the Z owners. This is literally the only section of bimmerforums i stop in to in my daily rounds on the interwebs.

Made me curious...
    besides the obvious interest - our cars, what does everyone else in here do? We know you have good taste in automobiles but Im sure all of you guys do some pretty interesting stuff!
    -post pics
    -post stories
    -whatever

-----

Ill start -

I work half my time for a children's marketing agency designing kids meal toys. Some of the places you may have seen my work are del taco, sonic, arby's, among others.

I spend the rest of my time divided amongst my ever growing list of personal projects...

i do freelance illustration -

i started and run a designer vinyl you company called mutt -

within the designer vinyl thing i used to do an absolute ton of custom toys for gallery shows -

my true passion is my painting / fine art though, i usually do 6 or so gallery shows a year so it keeps me busy...

and most of you already know i just started doing the car parts thing under "never done" (no pics necessary haha)

looking forward to see what you guys do, and get to know the community a little better!

cheers!
    Last edited by tyleRcoey; 09-15-2012 at 04:13 PM.
    never done - conscious concepts, expertly executed - donewhenimdead.com

My Cars
    2000 s50b32 M Coupe
    Beautiful work man!!!

On my spare time, when I'm not surfing the bimmerforums, I'm a dental surgeon.

Actually a military commander of a dental practice in our officers school. Like your west point.

Cheers,
    Captain Dr. Sasha
    Owner of the only M coupe in Israel
    (I prefer that title ;-)

My Cars
    M coupe / M3 / 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSasha View Post
    Beautiful work man!!!

On my spare time, when I'm not surfing the bimmerforums, I'm a dental surgeon.

Actually a military commander of a dental practice in our officers school. Like your west point.

Cheers,
    Captain Dr. Sasha
    Owner of the only M coupe in Israel
    (I prefer that title ;-)
    nice!

oh, and thanks for not posting any pics of dental surgeries haha
    never done - conscious concepts, expertly executed - donewhenimdead.com

My Cars
    2000 s50b32 M Coupe
    LOL
    I'll upload some pics later...
    Stuff I get to shoot being a military guy...
    Almost as fun as driving.

My Cars
    1999 M roadster
    I own a HVAC business with my Father.

I fix stuff like this for a living.

I also do a lot of A/V work on the side for fun. Here is my Football room.

In my spare spare time I am a HUGE Lions fan and make Lions highlight video's for fun. http://www.youtube.com/user/SandmanLions?feature=mhee
    Last edited by Sandman7773; 09-15-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    -Andy

Terry F. is offline ONLY BMW Content is + Moderator
    My Cars
    M-Roadster
    I enjoy collecting Swiss and German mechanical watches (weird hobby) and I enjoy photography (even though I suck at it). I used to do a lot of offshore fishing but I've since sold that boat. Love saltwater fishing, though, and I miss it.

T

Edit: I guess I should include my employment. I design the printed circuit boards that go into cellphones and other communication products. Been doing that for about 30 years.
    Last edited by Terry F.; 09-16-2012 at 02:26 PM. Reason: append

Stuff. I got stuff.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M Coupe
    I build and manage power plants for work.

I ride bicycle,(mountain and road).

Formula 1, Grand Am, ALMS, British touring car championship.

I have a fully restored 71 Camaro(please don't hate me) I am currently putting a Ls1/T56 under the hood with all new steering, suspension and brake setup.

I also have a full tube chassis mid engine 1962 Morris Mini that I am currently building.

My Cars
    2004 X3 88 M3 83 323i
    20 years active duty working on electronics

Collecting rare e30 parts

Detailing hobby/side job

My Cars
    '99 Estoril CP, '97 Z3
    Running E-commerce for an electronics company.

Collecting vintage cameras and watches. And Coupe parts...

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Musician of various ambitions:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNu_eOBRkkI[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnHyF-5L0QI[/ame]

My Cars
    '06 Z4MR, '11 328i E92
    Besides all hobbies having to do with cars, i spend a lot of my time at the gym. I'm a workout/fitness freak. I also love music, play drums, mainly heavier rock; Metallica, AC/DC, Avenged Sevenfold.. You name it.

My Cars
    98 M Rdstr
    Tyler, I like your work a lot. I have a bit of toy design in my history too.

I too am an "artist".

I am an Industrial Designer by trade.

I also have a serious Diecast car collecting problem

This is the current state of my basement, not shown are the 250 loose cars that I am building shelving for.

This was a previous house 5 years ago, it shows the boxed cars but I have about 60 more now. My favorite brand as Autoart in case you couldn't tell.

I also spend a lot of time on this, my first house.

'98 RMS stage 2+++++(491whp/390tq VAC cams, CES Cutring-9:1, Built blower, Meth etc)
    '09 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt 1 of 1(Built Motor, Brembos, LSD, the works!)
    '22 Cadillac CT4-V BlackWing 6mt
    '22 Cadillac CT4 2.0T Sport AWD (wife's)

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    I'm the managing partner of a small law firm. I practice in divorce, probate and transactional work. I love to cook, and really enjoy woodworking--I am almost done building a library in my house. Before I went to law school (23 years ago) I was an import service technician (mechanic). When I first got out of law school I took a job working for a lawyer who also owned an import salvage yard. I spent 7 years working for him in practice and running the salvage yard--I really loved that job--my friends said I was a junkyard lawyer. That was a long time ago, and I'm just a normal layer now. But I still love working on cars--especially my Z. I too collect mechanical watches.

My Cars
    01Z3Coup89Vanagon/subie
    I do some stone sculpture, rock carving, and wood sculpture, only been at the wood for two years and the stone for six months, it's been fun. some pics.

The Gecko is an 85 Lb piece and is wet sanded with 2000 grit, then just a clear wax on it, no paint of any kind, all one piece, carved out of that rock, the Penguin is made of Tiger Wood, the Gecko is my first ever Stone Carving, I just finished, and the Penguin I just finished, been carving wood for two years.

Other than the carving I have had a lot of different cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Oh, and all three of you guys do really amazing work--very impressive.

My Cars
    2011 E92 M3, 2007 335i
    Same as Mr. Bingley -- self employed family and criminal law attorney.
    Now in E92 M3 ZCP -- Absolute beast

My Cars
    95 240SX|98 Z3M|05 Elise
    I work as the IT manager for an accounting firm, but job #1 is being dad to my 2 little ones and trying to be a better husband for my wife. I also spend too much time playing video games.

My Cars
    Horse drawn chariot
    I'm am an electrician and Plc tech working in the automation field ..... Robots , cranes , conveyors and such , I was an auto tech but I only like working on my own cars. Have a young son so he's my other hobby until he decides I'm not cool any more, I also pumped a lot of iron until my wife complained I was looking like her body guard so I fell back , now I just do cardio and soccer.
    This tread is cool it satisfies my curiosity .
    Last edited by yash; 09-16-2012 at 07:54 PM.
    "My man did you simply get carried away with your dramatic gesture or were you pointing your water gun at me with lethal intentions ?"

My Cars
    '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
    I do IT for a living, currently work-at-home doing remote tech support for a major dsl/dial-up ISP. Have done all facets of IT for over 20 years including programming/development, network/infrastructure design/maintenance/support, database design and development, GIS development, desktop support, etc, etc.

Hobbies include firearms (target shooting, reloading, building my first AR rifle), home theater (built my own Shiva subwoofer, built a nice set of MTM HT speakers that are a Joseph D'Appolito design, do my own video calibrations and audio sweeps/room acoustic evals), cars of course (have restored British cars for over 30 years as a hobby, had a Jaguar repair shop in Atlanta for 3 years where I was chief, cook and bottlewasher).

I used to have too many hobbies to list but as time goes by that seems to be getting distilled down to fewer interests. Thought I would add that I'm also a frustrated musician as well, like to play wind instruments. I have a nice open-hole silver flute and double on a vintage Beuscher tenor sax, would like to pick up an old Martin soprano sax at some point in the future.
    Last edited by dkindig; 09-15-2012 at 09:48 PM.

My Cars
    01Z3Coup89Vanagon/subie
    a couple more pictures, I just took these today while working on it, a 32" tall piece of Italian Marble, it is a stylized angle, hard to see in pictures, white just doesn't show depth. the base is 110 lb piece of Basalt I cut the footprint in and it sits flush at the left front and a little over 1/2 " deep at the back right. Basalt is hard. It is almost finished, I have to drill a couple holes to peg it so it will have less chance of tipping, earthquake? and some fine tuning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    96 Z3, 2011 328, 2011 x3
    I'm a Banker by trade (Treasury Management)

Hobbies
    Certified Martial Arts Instructor
    Frustrated Musician (Guitar)
    Instructor for TM Exam

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    I'm an accountant and part owner of an online hospice software program.

Hobbies:
    My kids (they take up 99.9% of my time LOL)
    1973 Honda CL350 to tinker with
    Fixing stuff/then fixing them again after they break a week later
    Scotch, tequila, bourbon...
    Brandon
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    05 2.5 Z5
    Spent 10years working for Disney Consumer Products working on Toys packaging and branding development.

I am now at Mattel working on their Matchbox line as a Sr Packaging Designer.

My Cars
    02 Mroady,2007 Z4 coupe
    I am an electronic engineer and work in the medical field. I build computers for friends and also do home theaters the right way also. Too many so called experts that don`t really know what they are doing in the business. I also love photography and my grand kids.

My Cars
    03 530iA, 06 330ci ZHP
    I'm a Power Systems Electrical Engineer for a major utility in the southeast specializing in control center operations and applications. Grew up as an Army brat in Germany, where I gained my appreciation for German sports cars. Married 25 years with two teenagers, I also enjoy N scale model railroading and have in the past restored & collected pinball machines for a hobby as well.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast