Thread: I wish to raise the front of my seat on my Z3M

My Cars
    BMW Z3M roadster

I wish to raise the front of my seat on my Z3M

I am 6'3" and I heard there was a spacer that could be installed to raise the front of the seat for more thigh support. Has anyone heard of this? I just bought my Z3M so hope you can help

My Cars
    1998 M roadster S50B32
    Yes, many people have done this. Do a search and you will find info. I believe there is someone selling a kit. In Sweden quite a few have done it using cheap material found in any hardware store. What you need is two long extension nuts, two M8 bolts and two washers. What you want is a approximately 2 - 2,2 mm long extension nut. If the one you find is too long you cut it with a hacksaw.
    You then loosen the front of the seat (the bolts in the back does only have to be loosened enough to raise the front end of the seat).
    You fasten the extension nut to the floor bolt, put the front of the seat upon it and fasten it with a appropriately shortened M8 bolt + a washer. Done.
    With mediocre skills and a hacksaw you do it in less than 20 minutes.
    Obviously you can ask a local shop to to these things more sophisticated with welding etc. It will still be very cheap and easy.
    Safety? Most of the powers in case of a crash will always be taken by the bolts in the back. You can view the bolts etc, in original, cut and combined at the bottom of this page:http://perkornhall.se/Per_Kornhall/Z3.html (all the text in Swedish though...:-)

My Cars
    R32 GTS-4, E30 325i
    Im 6'5" and this kit worked for me. Still for sale, i just bought the kit last month. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1744406

Granted, you get better thigh support from this kit, as a tall person don't expect any extra room... That would be a miracle.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe, 02 Z3 2.5
    You can get it right here.

http://bimmerdiffs.myshopify.com/col...3-seat-mod-kit

Put it in 2 cars so far and about to order yet another set in my parents new Z. It makes you feel like you are sitting "in" the seat instead of "on" the seat. Much more comfy and I'm 6'2".
    1999 M Coupe Boston Green, Beige, H&R/Bilsteins, Underdrive Pulleys, Euro 6 speed, UUC SSK and Randy Forbes in the back
    2002 2.5 Z3 roadster Oxford Green, auto, all stock
    2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Dually 385 HP, 850 ft lbs torque at 1600 rpm, all stock and staying that way
    2004 Mini Cooper Chili Red, daily driver, modified almost daily

My Cars
    BMW Z3M roadster

I wish to raise the front seat on my Z3

Thanks For all your suggestions. Very helpful…...What a great forum. I just bought my first Z3M last week and joined the BMWCarClub (Puget sound WA chapter) A real friendly and technically savvy group.

My Cars
    98 328 cab, 97m3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by Wertles
    You can get it right here.

http://bimmerdiffs.myshopify.com/col...3-seat-mod-kit

Put it in 2 cars so far and about to order yet another set in my parents new Z. It makes you feel like you are sitting "in" the seat instead of "on" the seat. Much more comfy and I'm 6'2".
    I installed this kit as well, great mod!

My Cars
    2006 Porsche C2S Cab
    You're gonna dig the seat tilt mod. I was thinking about that this morning driving back from work, and I'm so used to the little lift, that I can't even imagine how I got along without it. Now if I could just get around to changing those bushings...

My Cars
    X5, 528iT 98 M Roadstr
    Buy the kit I did it months ago & am very glad I did it soon after buying the car. I really notice the difference when switching to the stock passenger seat. I'm stalling on replacing the seat bushings but will do the passenger seat tilt mod as part of that job.

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe SC'd
    Best Mod ever!
    Mods: A Few...Rod Bearings, VF Eng. SC stage 1 - 5 lbs, HP Coil packs, Underdrive Pulleys, Organic race Clutch, CDV Delete, Shift pins, Short shift kit w/bushings, Shortened shift lever, Randy's Subframe, IE Bushings, TCKline suspension, Adj. Cast. Camb. (front), Adj. Camb. (rear) 700# springs, RSM, Rogue cover, Metric Mechanix trick variable ramp LSD 3.46, Wilwood Big Brakes, 18" CCW LM's, 315 30R 18, PSII's Complete custom exhaust… Ceramic coated headers ID/OD, Race cats, Eisenmann sport w/83 mm, Custom gauge pod, Custom gauges, Dual Wide band Air/Fuel monitoring, Built-in scan gauge, Becker Traffic Pro, Seat hump removal-both sides, Seat front raise, ACS rare low profile rear wing, Smoked tails, HID's Lightly smoked,
    Special Thanks To: Randy Forbes Rocknroad 2Kredz3 MC28REPSOL IslandS62 Clintjg jonesmechanical Ron Stygar and many more on our board!

My Cars
    Z3 M44 roadster 1997
    but lifting only the front part of the seat is not a problem tightening it? I mean: the rail where the seat is fixed won't be complanar to the screw. will not be an issue on fixing it, explecially on the back side?
    miss ZUKU!

My Cars
    2006 Porsche C2S Cab
    The kit works perfectly- everything comes with simple instructions & bolts perfectly into place. It's a subtle incline, but makes a world of difference- especially on longer trips.

Dan

My Cars
    Z3 M44 roadster 1997
    Quote Originally Posted by SNR727 View Post
    The kit works perfectly- everything comes with simple instructions & bolts perfectly into place. It's a subtle incline, but makes a world of difference- especially on longer trips.

Dan
    I can't figure out your "subtle" to valuate it...there will be in any case an angle with the bolts, i think. nobody had problem with this?
    miss ZUKU!

My Cars
    Coupes...
    There is 2 inches of padding under the carpeting, so it really doesn't make all that much difference. The seat rails are never really sitting flush with the floor pan.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    Z3 M44 roadster 1997
    how much is the rising? I would like to figure out what angle the screw will "compensate"...
    EDIT - the topic linked some post before now shows 2 pics (maybe the first i went there time were already downloading).
    Last edited by resunoiz; 06-18-2012 at 11:22 AM.
    miss ZUKU!

My Cars
    2006 Porsche C2S Cab
    I'm not sure of the lift, and had the same curiosity about how you can tilt the seat and have the bolts work, but with everyone's great reviews I figured I couldn't go wrong- if it did I'd just pull the bolts and go back to "riding the bench" - turns out everyone was right- it works perfectly, seat bolts in tight, no issues- don't over think it- just trust your brethren & try it out. Takes about 10-15 minutes to do both sides.

My Cars
    Several
    Look into (i.e. google) removing the foam from the wall behind the seat. It's helpful to have more recline for longer trips I think. I'm 6'3"

My passenger seat already had a seat tilt on it. The drivers was shorter.
    "If the Corvette is a rebellious child of the extended automotive family, the M coupe is the blackest of sheep." - via Car & Driver

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    I've shipped more of these things than I can shake a stick at! And it seems like everyone loves them.

OP, I do have plenty more in stock if you'd like to order one.

My Cars
    Z3 M44 roadster 1997
    do you have a pic of the rear screws "zone" after the modify?
    I noticed that problem with seats, and till now I ever "solved" with a t-shirt rolled up over my tight

I'm afraid this angle can, as somenone already stated, be a problem in case of an accident reducing the "solidness" of the torquening
    miss ZUKU!

My Cars
    R32 GTS-4, E30 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
    Look into (i.e. google) removing the foam from the wall behind the seat. It's helpful to have more recline for longer trips I think. I'm 6'3"

My passenger seat already had a seat tilt on it. The drivers was shorter.
    I'm guessing you're talking about this? http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1631255

Sounds like a lot of work just to gain 1/4" to 3/4"...

My Cars
    99 Z3 Coupe
    The thigh support makes a big difference in that as a tall driver (6-3) my only other resting point was my butt.
    Maybe it's just perception, but I feel it's about the best thing I've done in terms of driver comfort.