Thread: 10 things you LOVE about your e36/8?

My Cars
    Give me headaches

Question 10 things you LOVE about your e36/8?

What are the top 10 things you enjoy most about owning an e36/8?

The top 10 things I love about my 368 are:

1) Driving. I could write a book on this one, but I won’t. When pushed hard in tighter bends, the handling is basically perfect. The dancing ass end just emphasizes the jolly spirit of the car. This is the first one on this list for a reason, because it is by far the best thing about these cars.

2) Styling. I was 10 when I saw my first coupe and I remember that moment as if it were yesterday. I was at a taco bell and it had just been delivered to its owner earlier that week. It was the first one in our area. After drooling over it, he gave me a brochure, and then proceeded by peeling out of the parking lot, first swinging the car right, then left, and back right to get onto the main road. The picture of that squatted wide ass sliding through the parking lot will forever be burnt into my memory.

3) This is the first car I’ve had that has a built in seat for when your pumping gas. Have to love those fenders.

4) The driveline. I have an s52 368, and have had 3 other s52’s in various cars. I put over 60k on my old ’99 M3, from 69k miles to around 140k. I flogged that car every second I could. I was young and dumb, and I respected it, but I still drove the sh*t out of it, redlining it at every opportunity I had. Not once did the motor or driveline even so much as hiccup. I changed the oil regularly, and had a new cooling system in the trunk incase the original one decided to blow up, but I never did anything else to it. The cooling system was sold still in the box with the car.

5) Practical. For as fun as this car is, and with such a generous level of performance, it’s amazingly easy to use as a daily driver. The hatch provides lots of room (even though half of mine is taken up with a harness bar), and with a roof rack installed, it can carry more things then 2 people would ever need on a trip. If you keep your foot out of it you can get good gas mileage, the ride doesn’t beat you up, parking is a synch, and with good snow tires I hear they go well in the snow.

6) Rarity. I have yet to pass another 368 M coupe while driving mine. I have always been into rare vehicles, and this car definitely ticks off that box.

7) History. The reason why this car was built should be the reason most every car is built, for the pure enjoyment of piloting an automobile. Unfortunately, this car was one of a kind in that regard for BMW.

8) Modest. Many high performance cars have a negative stigma that goes with them. They shout look at me. Then people say “Look at that rich d-bag in that…… Porsche, AMG, Ferrari, Lambo, BMW ect”. From my experience the M coupe doesn’t receive that negativity. Car enthusiasts know that you’re an enthusiast because, well, you’re in a 368. People, who don’t know cars, find them cute and think they look like fun. Then there’s a few who just think they are ugly and goofy as all hell and don’t understand it. But if anything, those people just feel bad for us and have sympathy.

9) Value. I can’t think of any other cars that provide everything I’ve already listed that are in the same price point as an M coupe. The cost of ownership of some sports cars is just ridiculous, at least for someone in my financial position. These cars provide one of the best ways to invest your money. Buy one, maintain it (normally not much $$), and when your done sell it for what you paid for it, maybe even more. Cost of entry isn’t cheap, especially for minty s54’s, but if the condition is kept the same, and you don’t rack the miles up to bad, you’ll be better off then the other 99% of car buyers. Even if you buy a mint s52 with low miles for $20kish, then drive the car 100k miles while still keeping the condition up, you may be able to sell the car for $15k. $1,000 for every 20k miles behind the wheel of one of the most exciting cars to drive? Yes please.

10) Balance. Everything about the M Coupe is balanced perfectly for me. Weight distribution, sportiness vs. luxury, looking pretty but also muscular (and a little ugly), performance vs. economy, size vs. function, providing the thrill and fear of the back end coming out but keeping it sane unlike a 930 turbo, and basically everything else.

If you’re looking for a reason not to buy one of these wonderful little buggers, then look HERE.

So let’s hear it, what’s on your top 10 list?
    Current: e24 - e28 - e34 - e36/8 - 993 - 914 - w124 - w210 - urs6 - P71 CV - t100

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    Judging by the popularity of this thread versus the other thread; diagnosis is high level of negativitus nancious.
    Last edited by BenFenner; 05-16-2012 at 09:41 AM.

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R
    I don't have a giant list ready, but I like how the slow wiper setting goes down to intermittent when vehicle speed is less than maybe 3 MPH (seems that way). That was a pleasant surprise in the rain yesterday.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    I didn't even see this thread!

1. Design: It's what initially attracted me to a BMW of any kind, let alone the Z3 line. I love every aspect of the exterior for both Z3 Coupes and M Coupes. Both look great, and are different than anything else out there. Truly unique.

2. Engine: I've only driven E36/8s with a straight 6, but I've been impressed by all of them. The M54 was no slouch, but the S54 impresses me all the time. Above 3500 rpm is addictive!

3. The interior: So many other interiors in the same price range are boring seas of ugly gray plastic and cheap cloth. The two tone M interiors have a lot of character and leather is plentiful (although all the Z3s have nice interiors). Even the plastic has a much better feel than many other cars I have been in. The simplicity of the interior is what I like most, though. No crazy displays, or complicated controls. I think the interior is timeless.

4. Handling: Even in stock form, it's enjoyable on the street. Add coilovers and it increases the drive that much more. The low center of gravity combined with wide rubber makes every corner enjoyable. The DSC found in 01+ Z3s makes driving in almost any condition still fun, without risk of losing control on the street. I made the mistake in my first Coupe of turning the ASC off when I shouldn't have and learned the hard way not to do that. Turning the DSC off during auto-x is a must though. I inadvertently left it on during my last run and killed my time when the power was killed coming out of a tight, fast corner.

5. Rarity: This stems from the design, of course, but I'm appreciative of that! With only 4,910 E36/8s sold in NA, it's rare in any form or color combo. I love that it's a treat to see another on the road. I think in the 5 years I've owned one, I've seen less than 10 locally. There are very few cars as affordable as ours that you can say that about. Even more rare are the S54 engined M Coupes with only 678 sold in NA, only 41 with LSB paint, only 2 with LSB over Black, and only 1 2002 LSB over Black. I love having the only one! Although, if it ever gets wrecked, replacing it is essentially impossible.

6. Practicality: It may have only two seats, but between the ability to mount a roof rack, and a hatch that will swallow more than you'd think it's quite useful. I've been able to haul everything from a 12' artificial christmas tree to a lawn mower, and others have hauled similarly interesting things.

7. Community: Z3 owners are often enthusiasts, and many Coupe owners (like myself) are obsessive fanatics. It makes for a great community of owners who share common interests and make some great things possible (events, products, bmwmdata.com, mcoupebuyersguide.com, and many different forums and networks). I thoroughly enjoy being a part of it!

8. Accessibility: The price for entry is pretty low, considering what you get for the money. Most people are surprised to hear what you can get a Coupe for. Parts, for the most part, are plentiful. There are excellent resources for guides and tutorials on maintenance and repair. But most of all, nearly everything can be handled by your average owner in their garage with a basic set of metric tools. The only repair or maintenance I haven't done myself was the con rod bearing replacement. That was primarily due to the reasonable price from Mr. Forbes, and the proximity to his garage on it's way to me from PA.

9. Durability: Aside from the oft blown out of proportion subframe carrier issue, it's pretty stout. There are of course some issues, but all cars have them, in some form. I've got 116k on my Coupe, and other than maintenance and a few little things (switches, bulbs, wear items), it's be trouble free. There are many out there with 200k+ on the same engine, and they just keep on ticking. Give it a little attention and it will reward you with a long enjoyable life. I plan to own mine to the day I die...at least, that's the plan.

10. Variety: The Z3 Coupes are a bit more "composed" while the M Coupes are a bit more on edge. There are a wide range of colors to suit almost any preference, both interior and exterior.

11. [whoops ] The polarizing effect: Most people LOVE or HATE E36/8s, there isn't much middle ground. You think they are beautiful, or ugly. For the most part though, people appreciate them for their uniqueness regardless from their desire to own one.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 05-16-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    Horse drawn chariot
    1) The ass with some wide tires.

2) How it commands attention.

3) The price range for such a unique exotic (IMO)

4) How it makes me feel ....glances back when walking away and such .

5) Mine seems to be the only one in my remote area , so rearness is amplified .

6) How everyone so far loves it and seems genuine .

Need to log some more time with car for more responses.

Pardon my grammar and lack of smileys Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
    "My man did you simply get carried away with your dramatic gesture or were you pointing your water gun at me with lethal intentions ?"

My Cars
    01' z3 3.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy

2. Engine: I've only driven E36/8s with a straight 6, but I've been impressed by all of them.
    E36/8s only came with straight 6's. 2.8, 3.0, s52, and s54- all straight 6 goodness

Tony
    On the hunt for Westvleteren. Have some? PM me.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Quote Originally Posted by illiano View Post
    E36/8s only came with straight 6's. 2.8, 3.0, s52, and s54- all straight 6 goodness

Tony
    The only E36/8 I haven't been in is an M54. I got to ride in Bob Epstein's S50 M Coupe at Dorkfest last year. It was impressive.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 05-17-2012 at 12:36 AM.
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    2000 s50b32 M Coupe
    Hmm. Only one in the country. Makes me all excited every time I stare at her. Fast. Great community of enthusiasts.

And the rest you pointed right.

My Cars
    01' z3 3.0
    When I finally get an m coupe, I fully plan to go s50b32 and twin turbo it. That's a long way from happening but my ultimate goal for my future shoe.

Tony
    On the hunt for Westvleteren. Have some? PM me.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    All of the above. Done.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    '00 Imola M-coupe
    Just got it...and *^*%$%^ - in loving every minute of it!

Hmmmm....I'll say
    -that it's 1 of 51
    -the fat 911 turbo rear arches
    -the unnecessary but oh-so-bitchen quad exhaust tips
    -the gorgeous factory staggered rims
    -the simplicity of the interior
    -the fact that, at 6'1" - she fits me perfectly...just!
    -decent mileage if driven prudently
    -still (more than) decently quick, even with 'only' 240 hp
    -that it polarizes people like few other cars I can imagine....but most love it
    -that after seeing it at the auto show 12 years ago and lusting after it then, I finally bought it 1 week ago at about 1/3 its' original price!

There's probably more that I could come up with, but this isn't a top 20 list =)

My Cars
    SpecE46, '98 540i Ind
    I love:
    1) The rollbar installed by Performance Chassis
    2) The new Nitto NT-01s installed by Discount Tire
    3) The TCK S/A coilovers I picked up from Z3papa
    4) The BBS RK staggered rims I purchased from Kobayashi
    5) The Cobra Imola seats ordered through VAC
    6) The stripped interior bits sitting in my attic
    7) The numbers on the side windows
    8) The torque of the stock S52
    9) Seeing it sitting on my trailer at 5:00 AM
    10) Pushing the ASC button when sitting on the grid!

and of course the rarity of it, the price of it, the look of it, reliability, easy maintenance, and how it seems to wrap around me every time I get in it.
    Brian

My Cars
    See my signature
    1. The fact that the road is so close to you (just look down over your left arm)
    2. The feeling that if a challenger comes up to you and doesn't know much about the car...he will be in for a big surprise
    3. The rasp out of the back of the s54 (too bad my s50b32 doesn't make that noise)
    4. The length of the bonnet
    5. Space inside (I weigh 125kg)
    6. Two tone interior is very tasteful and the seats look amazing
    7. On- or Off-ramps....need I say more?
    8. Visibility (the rear corner windows are awesome)
    9. Curves (reminds me of my old 930 turbo)
    10. Exclusivity (this is the main focus of everything I buy)
    BMW
    1988 E30 M3: (STOLEN) Zinnabarot/Tan
    1991 850Ci (SOLD): Euro spec, Black/Black, Wokke Chips, Remus Exhaust, ACS Body Kit, 3.91 LSD
    1999 M Coupe (SOLD): (Euro S50B32), Estoril/Estoril/black, RE SSK, RK6A, RAID Steering wheel, R.Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters/roof wing, Hi-perf. chip, Vibrant exhaust rear diffuser, ACS Type II Race wheels
    2002 M Coupe: (US Spec, S54) JET Black/Black, UUC SSK, RK6A, RAID Steering wheel, SS Powerflo headers/Custom Exhaust, 3.73 LSD, R.Forbes sub-frame kit, ACS splitters/roof wing, rear diffuser, SSR GT3 18" wheels
    2006 Mini Cooper S: Hyper Blue/white Top/blue-charcoal interior, Alta Supercharger pulley/cold air intake/light Crank pulley, Headers, OBX exhaust (Daily Driver)

My Cars
    Z3 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer MXM View Post
    10. Exclusivity (this is the main focus of everything I buy)
    +1
    @Tripfcr
    1998 M Coupe
    : (Euro S50B32), Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355x32mm Front & Mono4 332x32mm Rear Full Floating BBK