Thread: Seat Frame Sqeak / Dissassembly

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

Seat Frame Sqeak / Dissassembly

I am soo tired of my seat frame squeaking whenever my weight shifts.

It not horrible, but its enought to get to you after awhile. I tried taking the seat out of the car and spraying it with teflon spray, which worked for a while but apparently if began to dry out after a month or so and the squeaking returned.

When the seat was off, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to disassemble it. Does anyone have any advice? I've seen them completely removed from the seat, so I know its possible.

Also, any ideas on how to get of the squeak would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Average Joe; 04-12-2012 at 05:48 PM.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    I can think of two areas that might cause squeaking. First, if your seat moves forward and backward about an inch, you need seat bushings (number 8 below, but don't buy OEM bushings, they rot). There are plenty of postings here about that, and an excellent how-to article here: http://www.waycoolinc.com/z3/essenti...xit/index.html

Another likely place is where the seat base attaches to the pan. There are four hooks that make the attachment, plus two bolts that keep the base from sliding off the hooks. Then there are little nylon clips between the seat base and the pan to isolate the two (item 6 below). You might need to replace those or install something else such as rubber or nylon sheeting.

My Cars
    00 M Coupe, 08 335xi
    I have the same issue and would love to find a solution.

I've tired re-bolting to the floor so I think it's in the seat somewhere

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    I forgot to mention that I have already done the waylin seat bushing mod on the seat. In fact, shortly after that is when the squeaking began.

There are four hooks that make the attachment, plus two bolts that keep the base from sliding off the hooks.
    So you just unbolt these two and it should slide off? Is removing the side cover that houses the electric controls required? I remember being at this point for about an hour trying to figure out what else I needed to do to make the base come off.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 Roadster
    There are two bolts (with 13mm heads) at the end of the rails that go through the seat base into the seat pan. Once you remove those, the base is free to slide back, and it releases from the four hooks. Then you have as much room as is afforded by the slack in the recline cables and the electrical wires. I believe this is all you need to do if the problem is between the base and pan. If you want to completely remove the base, start by photographing everything. then remove the plastic side piece (two big screws through the side, one little one in the front). Then unhook the two recline-cable ends on each side. Then remove all of the wire ties and electrical connectors. Everything is intertwined and comes off together. Re-installing everything is an exercise in puzzle pieces.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Hopefully I won't have to undo the electrical. Either way, I'll revive this post with progress and/or more questions when I get a chance to take a look at it