Thread: Roll bar question

My Cars
    1997 z3 Roadster

Roll bar question

Hey guys I have a 97 roadster, Iv wondered about putting roll bars on because 1. They look and 2. Feel safer. Iv looked around the site for some idea of what I can do and only found a little talk, but nothing real helpfull. Has anyone put a set on? And if so how much work/money are we talking? Can I pull the whole set up off a newer one and put it on mine? Thanks any advise will be appreciated.

My Cars
    05 2.5 Z5
    Contact DreamnZ. He has done it.

My Cars
    Z3m S54 Roadster
    Prices are in sterling but should give you some idea of cost and how to do it ;-)

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewt...hp?f=18&t=3439

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Last edited by KBH22102; 03-28-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    Kelvin

My Cars
    1997 z3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by KBH22102 View Post
    Hey thanks alot of good info. Think this will be a good summer project. How long did it take you start to finish?

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Quote Originally Posted by ramono7 View Post
    Hey thanks alot of good info. Think this will be a good summer project. How long did it take you start to finish?
    90% of your time will be spent looking for/acquiring parts. The actual installation took about three hours. Get yourself a bunch of the little plastic screw covers (they're a few cents each) so you don't need to stress about removing them without tearing. Be really gentle with the plastic trim pieces as they are getting old and are brittle and are prone to crack
    Kelvin

My Cars
    Z3, M5
    I also retrofit mine too. As long as you have the mounting holes for the brackets, it's 100% bolt on. I'm sure you already know this by now.

I think an average street price for everything you need (brackets, bars, storage compartment, side panels, etc) is about $500. Give or take $50.

If you can find it for less, you did real good. If you can find a junkyard, that has it intact, you can literally swap it all on.

Good luck!
    -Joe

My Cars
    '97 Z3 2.8
    i like the look without the roll hoops. asking around, i'm told the windshield acts as a rollbar. any anecdotal comments?

My Cars
    1997 z3 Roadster
    I figured the windshield would act like a roll bar, more doing it because of the look then safety, it gives it a more dangerous look (DangerZone lol). Plus I like to have projects to fill my spear time and this one seems like fun.

My Cars
    '97 Z3 2.8
    i found the discussion where it was mentioned that there are pics of a rolled m model that didn't even break the windshield.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=573312

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Well, the windshield (actually A pillar[s]) is reinforced to be able to hold the cars weight. That is useless without some rear support as well. While the best anti-roll protection system is one that you don't use, it does help to keep your brain and head in the anatomical positions in case of a roll.

My Z3 had the factory hoops, which are excellent in my opinion, but I opted for a HardDog roll bar to be able to take it to the track without complaints from staff.

You can gauge the strength of the windshield and support just by hitting the side gently with your fist. It's as hard/rigid as a concrete wall. I was impressed. Miata windshields do not hold the car's weight in case of a roll.
    Last edited by 328 Power 04; 04-01-2012 at 09:42 AM.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1996 bmw z3
    I have a 96 and had to weld the brackets but overall roll hoop install wasnt to bad!

My Cars
    1997 z3 Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYz3 View Post
    I have a 96 and had to weld the brackets but overall roll hoop install wasnt to bad!
    Did you weld because you had to or wanted to?

My Cars
    Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97
    Quote Originally Posted by ramono7 View Post
    Did you weld because you had to or wanted to?
    Had to I'm sure. My '96 has no brackets and no bolt lugs welded in the body. I went with the HardDog rollbar myself.
    'Sweetness Tres' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '97 Boston Green 66K Smiles Mine
    'Sweetness Too' M52, 2.5L Z3 5-Speed Roadster, '00 Jet Black 165K Smiles 2022 Gone Ins Co Total in Jan 2022- Right Front Collision - Paid $8850 !!
    'Ol' Black Betty' S52, 3.2L ///M3 5-Speed Vert '98 Cosmos Black 265K Smiles Wifeys
    M50, 2.5L 525i E34 Tragi-matic '95 Sedan Alpine White III 238K Smiles Was Daughters Mine Again
    'Gretchen' M30, 3.5L 535i E34 Tragi-matic '90 Sedan Glacier Blue/Indigo 144K Smiles 2018 Gone & I miss her
    'Sweetness' M44, 1.9L Z3 5-Speed Roadster '96 Boston Green 264K Smiles Was Mine Ins Co Total in Jan 2013- Rear End Collision - Paid $4800 !!

My Cars
    96 Z3, 2011 328, 2011 x3
    Just purchased dual hoop roll bar for my 96. Involves drilling two holes. Will post pictures when I'm done. Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330696190315...84.m1423.l2648

My Cars
    1997 Z3
    ^^^Those are purely cosmetic though, the seller states that. I've been looking myself for a stock set, but cost is rough!

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C

I like your steering wheel...

Agree with the previous poster though. Those hoops are more dangerous than none at all since they will collapse forward right into your head in the event of an actual rollover
    Kelvin

My Cars
    Z3's...
    Quote Originally Posted by tohbi View Post
    i like the look without the roll hoops. asking around, i'm told the windshield acts as a rollbar. any anecdotal comments?
    Don't need anecdotal evidence when you have proof:

This is the understructure of the windshield frame, with the apron cover removed. At the top you can see the 30mm high carbon steel tube that forms the basis of the structure. The tube is sandwiched between four layers of sheet metal with the top and bottom being the apron and inner apron.

My Cars
    '97 Z3 2.8
    what do you know about this wreck, jimmy? has the windshield been pulled out or is that all the further it collapsed?

seems to me the mickey mouse seatbelts they put in cars nowadays could preclude keeping a person in their seat enough to make him safe. these seatbelts seem designed only to protect in a front end collision.

My Cars
    RX-78-2, RX-93v
    Does it help stiffen the chassis?

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3racer701 View Post
    Don't need anecdotal evidence when you have proof:

This is the understructure of the windshield frame, with the apron cover removed. At the top you can see the 30mm high carbon steel tube that forms the basis of the structure. The tube is sandwiched between four layers of sheet metal with the top and bottom being the apron and inner apron.
    Is it just coincidental that this car looks a lot like your avatar with a yellow hard top?

Did you walk away, and do you think the hard top helped protect you? Also do I spot an aftermarket rollbar in there that kept the top from collapsing?

I guess I like blue....Focus ST & 1997 2.8i

My Cars
    Z3's...
    Quote Originally Posted by tohbi View Post
    what do you know about this wreck, jimmy? has the windshield been pulled out or is that all the further it collapsed?
    At this point, I'd removed the apron cover and had not yet pulled the frame out. I kept the original for a template for the new cover to drill for rosett welds in the new.

Quote Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
    Does it help stiffen the chassis?
    Probably not by much unless you can tie that to a cage, rules permitting.

Quote Originally Posted by gbirkemeier View Post
    Is it just coincidental that this car looks a lot like your avatar with a yellow hard top?

Did you walk away, and do you think the hard top helped protect you? Also do I spot an aftermarket rollbar in there that kept the top from collapsing?
    Sharp eyes, it's got a cage by the Roll Cage Guy, Mark McMahon. Avatar is how it sits today, the picture posted was mid repair, after the 2nd hand Imola hood was procured to replace the cracked carbon hood. This is how it looked when I towed it home:

And this is the current log book photo, with the same rear finder and door as above:

As for me, I found out what it was like to be a James Bond martini, "Shaken not stirred..." Walked away without a scratch. About a month after the wreck I took it to a local frame shop, and they told me to just get another. That made me want to put it back togeather even more.
    Last edited by Z3racer701; 06-08-2012 at 02:46 AM.

My Cars
    2001 Z3 2.5i, 88 325ix
    I have the stock roll bars and the brackets and the nuts and bolts if you want.
    WTB: Factory OEM Rear Spoiler (See Pic)

My Cars
    RX-78-2, RX-93v
    How did the hardtop hold up?