Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirror Problem

My Cars
    00 MR 21 Acura RDX

Mirror Problem

This morning I noticed an "oval" inside the rearview mirror of my M Roadster. Maybe it is a bubble? This afternoon it had moved up and was a half oval (or bubble). Is this the beginning of a soon to be leak. Should I get a new mirror?

Ideas and suggestions? I would want to connect up like the current one. I also am not much on my own repairs other than keeping it clean, polished, etc. So, if a 7 year old could not do it, I probably do not have the patience.

My Cars
    No more BMWs :(
    Remove it NOW before it leaks and destroys your center console. Give it a swift twist anti-clockwise, and then remove the small plastic panel on it and disconnect the electrical connector.

Search around and you should find directions to send it back to the manufacturer for a replacement.
    997 Carrera 2S..the choice of 2 out of 3 Top Gear presenters.

My Cars
    00' M-Roadster, 89' 325i
    I Had the same problems awhile back, but I had replaced already. Is the mirror still be under warranty after all this years?? Just curious..

My Cars
    Not under warranty, but the manufacturer (not BMW) is goodwill replacing them for a small fee or free, can't remember. Most likely to maintain a good standing with BMW and retain a contract. However they will not accept an opened or tampered with mirror, so just remove it and leave it alone.

Also note the liquid inside, should it leak, is corrosive and nasty.

My Cars
    00 MR 21 Acura RDX
    Thanks, after the initial panic, I am searching for the vendor to return and get a new one. There are a lot of threads.
    Last edited by BobSarley; 07-08-2010 at 04:58 PM.

My Cars
    00 MR 21 Acura RDX
    Thanks, after the initial panic, I am searching for the vendor to return and get a new one. There are a lot of threads.

Duplicate... sorry.
    Last edited by BobSarley; 07-08-2010 at 04:58 PM.

My Cars
    00' M-Roadster, 89' 325i
    If you find an vendor for replacement please post up the info..thanks..I still have my original mirror, but if they will change it for a small fee or free, I am willing to send it them..

My Cars
    this is a copy/paste of a post on a different forum (and not me):

There is a company called Sybesmas that will replace your mirror for $75 plus shipping. They are a mirror manufacturing company.

Call them at 616-392-6911.

The story goes: the company that actually first manufactured the mirrors in our cars is called Magna Donnelly and they had been replacing the mirrors for free until fairly recently. Now if you call them they tell you to call Sybesmas. Then this other mirror supply company picked up the job by starting this program. They recognized that there was such an issue and demand that they could offer an inexpensive solution to our problem. They are quite used to this, and will email you everything you need to know. You have to take off the mirror, take pictures of it, and fill out a form. If you are lucky enough to have a white sticker on your mirror you are golden because they use that for your part number. Otherwise they need all pictures requested. They can not use the part number from BMW.

The email you receive will look like this:

<<<
    The cost for a mirror exchange is $75.00 plus shipping/handling to the
    United States. If you reside outside of the USA, please contact us for
    pricing. You will be required to return the defective mirror and a pre-paid
    label will be provided for you to do so.

Please note that we do not support mirrors with the home link option.

The attached form will need to be completed and pictures of the following
    will need to be included for us to determine what mirror it is that you are
    in need of.

-Front and rear views of the mirror
    -The plug (number of pins and wire colors are helpful)
    -The mounting bracket located on the windshield

You may send payment via email when your order is submitted otherwise, we
    will contact you when you mirror is ready to ship for that information.

Do not open the black casing surrounding the mirror as this will cause
    damage and the unit will no longer be valuable as an exchange and you will
    be charged the full purchase price of $200.00.
    >>>

My Cars
    00 MR 21 Acura RDX
    Symbesma's in Holland, MI
    1-800-456-4265.

I called and left a message. They have a website and are supposed to be good. I will remove the mirror tonight and get going on a new one.

My Cars
    00' M-Roadster, 89' 325i
    Hey thanks..I did a search and found their web site..www.sybesmas.com..I have send in my request to them and see what they say..thanks again..

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Do they look like our mirrors? I would hate to put a cheap eyesore replacement up when the M mirror looks so pimp.

My Cars
    06' Lotus Elise
    Do you have a photo of this cuz I have a very big oval half the size of the mirror. I was afraid at first it was going to leak but its so perfect it seems like its for an anti glare.
    Sold

My Cars
    '00Z3MC,'10e91, 76-2002
    The oval inside the mirror is HEAT RELATED and this week in the NE should bring out some more defective mirrors.
    I had the same problem two weeks ago and contacted Sybesma's.
    Most of our Z3M mirrors have the white sticker with P/N starting with #7 on the wiring harness and that photo is all you need to supply them, along with the completed form they send to you. I gave them my CC number and had a refurbished Z3 electrochromatic mirror in a few days.
    You return the defective mirror in the box the replacement mirror arrived in and take it to the nearest FedEx shipper. Sybesma's includes a FedEx return shipping label. Total cost for the refurbished mirror and shipping was ~$98.

(Shipping invoice did list the mirror as "DONNELLY" replacement)
    Last edited by rotorhed; 07-08-2010 at 09:09 PM.

My Cars
    00 MR 21 Acura RDX

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rotorhed View Post
    The oval inside the mirror is HEAT RELATED and this week in the NE should bring out some more defective mirrors.
    I had the same problem two weeks ago and contacted Sybesma's.
    Most of our Z3M mirrors have the white sticker with P/N starting with #7 on the wiring harness and that photo is all you need to supply them, along with the completed form they send to you. I gave them my CC number and had a refurbished Z3 electrochromatic mirror in a few days.
    You return the defective mirror in the box the replacement mirror arrived in and take it to the nearest FedEx shipper. Sybesma's includes a FedEx return shipping label. Total cost for the refurbished mirror and shipping was ~$98.

(Shipping invoice did list the mirror as "DONNELLY" replacement)
    Now I am set. Took the mirror off yesterday and took pictures. I did not notice the number on the harness. Read your note this morning, ran out to the garage with a flash light and there the number was. 7 891 423

Interesting thing is I know my car was made in May 2000, but the white tag with the number was Dec 2000.

My Cars
    '00Z3MC,'10e91, 76-2002
    This is the paragraph about the white sticker from Sybesma's>>>

BMW OWNERS ONLY: If your mirror has a white sticker on the "neck", and it
    contains a number that begins with a 7, all we need is a photo of that
    sticker in addition to the order form filled out to the best of your
    ability. If your mirror does not have this sticker, please remove your
    mirror and follow the above process.

You may include your credit card number on your order form or we will call
    you for this information when your mirror is ready to be shipped. Thank you

Thank you,
    Sybesma's Electronics
    616-392-6911

My Cars
    00 MR 21 Acura RDX
    My final update. Called Lucia this morning. Got the form, filled it out, sent it in with the number and my photos. Called her back. Shipping today, so I will get in Monday or Tuesday since I am in Illinois and they are Holland, Michigan.

Thanks for all the help. Whenever anything goes wrong I runn around until I can solve it.

My Cars
    00' M-Roadster, 89' 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by BobSarley View Post
    Now I am set. Took the mirror off yesterday and took pictures. I did not notice the number on the harness. Read your note this morning, ran out to the garage with a flash light and there the number was. 7 891 423

Interesting thing is I know my car was made in May 2000, but the white tag with the number was Dec 2000.
    You want to shoot me that pictures too? I can seem to find the number on my mirror. I look inside the cable assembly, but all I got was a number that start with a 3?? Thanks

My Cars
    00' M-Roadster, 89' 325i
    O.K. maybe some of you guys are better than me to find the part number. but I can't find the white sticker or the same white sticker that you guys are talking about..the only one I can find is the number that starts with a 3.. I have attached a picture and see if you anybody has the same thing that I have..thanks..
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    I got sick of the mirror being a large blind spot, removed it, & tossed it in the glove box. It would be really cool if someone would make a mirror with a multi-jointed swing arm that would extend up & away from the windshield when the top is down, & then back near the stock location when the top is up.

My Cars
    BMWs: 1; MINIs: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by spacecowboy View Post
    I got sick of the mirror being a large blind spot, removed it, & tossed it in the glove box. It would be really cool if someone would make a mirror with a multi-jointed swing arm that would extend up & away from the windshield when the top is down, & then back near the stock location when the top is up.
    http://www.z3mirrors.com/
    I like the unicorns.
    '99 Z3 Coupe - Jet Black/Black (1-of-114)
    '99 M Coupe - Estoril Blue/Black (1-of-82)
    '03 540iT - Sterling Gray/Black (1-of-24)
    '16 Z4 sDrive35i - Estoril Blue/Walnut (1-of-8)

My Cars
    00 MR 21 Acura RDX
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk1955 View Post
    O.K. maybe some of you guys are better than me to find the part number. but I can't find the white sticker or the same white sticker that you guys are talking about..the only one I can find is the number that starts with a 3.. I have attached a picture and see if you anybody has the same thing that I have..thanks..
    The sticker looks right. Like I told you in my personal email, just call them with that number and ask. Their form I sent you does not say it starts with a 7, ours just has. Bet yours is just a different model.

My Cars
    01 E36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandS62 View Post
    this is a copy/paste of a post on a different forum (and not me):

There is a company called Sybesmas that will replace your mirror for $75 plus shipping. They are a mirror manufacturing company.

Call them at 616-392-6911.

The story goes: the company that actually first manufactured the mirrors in our cars is called Magna Donnelly and they had been replacing the mirrors for free until fairly recently. Now if you call them they tell you to call Sybesmas. Then this other mirror supply company picked up the job by starting this program. They recognized that there was such an issue and demand that they could offer an inexpensive solution to our problem. They are quite used to this, and will email you everything you need to know. You have to take off the mirror, take pictures of it, and fill out a form. If you are lucky enough to have a white sticker on your mirror you are golden because they use that for your part number. Otherwise they need all pictures requested. They can not use the part number from BMW.

The email you receive will look like this:

<<<
    The cost for a mirror exchange is $75.00 plus shipping/handling to the
    United States. If you reside outside of the USA, please contact us for
    pricing. You will be required to return the defective mirror and a pre-paid
    label will be provided for you to do so.

Please note that we do not support mirrors with the home link option.

The attached form will need to be completed and pictures of the following
    will need to be included for us to determine what mirror it is that you are
    in need of.

-Front and rear views of the mirror
    -The plug (number of pins and wire colors are helpful)
    -The mounting bracket located on the windshield

You may send payment via email when your order is submitted otherwise, we
    will contact you when you mirror is ready to ship for that information.

Do not open the black casing surrounding the mirror as this will cause
    damage and the unit will no longer be valuable as an exchange and you will
    be charged the full purchase price of $200.00.
    >>>
    +1 This is the way to go. I had the same thing happen to mine last year. You just need to fill out a form and send them some pics and send it in. It works great.
    01 M S54 Estoril Coupe (Fun)16 Mini Clubman S(Daily)03 325i (Wifes Car)Your never further away from oblivion than a distracted soccer mom in a SUV.

My Cars
    98 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    There's still a sizeable blind spot, just not as big as the original. There's no comparison to having it up & out of the way, or completely off.

My Cars
    00' M-Roadster, 89' 325i
    Thanks a lot ppl...I am just kind of confuse as to the number that start with the 7. I called them yesterday, she said that she will shoot me an email..but I have not got anything yet. Maybe they are busy?? But I will call her again on Monday and see..I have a replacement mirror to use for now, So I am not in a hurry...But it sure is better with the OEM mirror..

My Cars
    S54 Roady, LS1 & LS2 E36
    I sent mine in a week or two ago, should be here this week. I know this doesn't apply to you S52 ///M owners, but if you have an S54 with the chrome surround mirror, you will need to send in your mirror FIRST, for them to modify it and send it back. They don't have the chrome mirror in stock. I'll post a picture when it comes back. I think I read somewhere they modify it with a mechanical tint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast