Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Z3M Coupe Stereo install - stealthy this time

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4

Second Z3M Coupe Stereo install - stealthy this time

So this is pretty picture-heavy. I know I'm not the first to put an Alpine PDX-5 amp in a coupe, but I did do several unique things with this install.
    #1: I made made custom MOLEX harnesses for all the speaker wires (you can see my MOLEX planning .ppt on the laptop in one of the pics), and
    #2: I installed a grill on Dom (MisterX)'s custom sub enclosure.
    #3: I modified the rear-most trunk floor panel to allow it to be opened WITHOUT removing the subwoofer (link to thread)

WOW. I know, it's just amazing how different this install is. Yeah, not really, but here's my thread anyway.

Just a note for posterity (and searches):
    Factory front components (3-way) are: 5.25" front 'woofer' in the kick panel, midrange in door (front of triangular bit in the door), tweeter in door (back of that same bit).
    Rear speaker is something ridiculously small like 2", but in a much larger mounting plate (4" or 5.25").
    It is possible to fit certain 6.5" and 6.75" speakers in the front kick panel locations. For the rear overhead hatch speakers, 4" 2-way speakers are a very easy fit, but the holes may accommodate larger speakers (5.25" or 6.5"). I used the former, but can't confirm the latter.

Stereo build includes:
    Alpine CDA-9884
    Alpine PDX-5
    6-channel Monster RCA
    Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" components in front
    Infinity 5.25" components (woofer only) in rear
    MisterX sub enclosure (see repair pic - used silicone to patch hole)
    Elemental Designs 10" 4-ohm DVC sub

I used steel plate for the mounting shelf, trimmed and painted with high-temp engine enamel. I lifted the amp off the plate (for cooling, not really as much of an issue with these digi-amps, but still, always a safe bet) by using some nylon bushings, which were epoxied to the shelf and then painted as well. In order to mount the shelf, I used several custom-bent aluminum stock pieces and attached them to the hard points for the OEM amp/CD changer rack.

I did have to notch out the metal in the kick panel area for the speakers to fit, then I cut out the plastic kick panels themselves so that they fit around the speaker grilles - I will eventually clean these up - you can see a bit of the square grill 'molding' in the pic of the panel, as well as some flashing from my trim job.

The first two pics show the mess of wires from my first install, plus the shelf-mount aluminum brackets and the early stages of the shelf itself. The rest are just progress-pics. Any questions, just ask.

Anyhow... enjoy (and please pardon the filthy car)

MOLEX scheme by BMWBergy, on Flickr

Z3M Stereo 203 by BMWBergy, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kBoyvQ]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kBs8ia]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kBs8hD]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kBoyuC]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kBoyx8]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kBs8mg]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kBoyxi]
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 02-13-2021 at 07:20 PM.

My Cars
    E36/8, E36/7
    Looks good!

OT: Do you have details on the ///M caps covering the rear shocks? The varying height from side-to-side looks like these unscrew - haven't seen this design before.

My Cars
    2002 Smurf Hearse
    Looks great man. I need to this on my Coupe. Stock audio blows
    jeremy [AT] coupecartel [DOT] com

1 of 1 | 2002 Laguna Seca Blue/Black M Coupe | LK61201
    "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.."

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by turbo5spd View Post
    Looks good!

OT: Do you have details on the ///M caps covering the rear shocks? The varying height from side-to-side looks like these unscrew - haven't seen this design before.
    Thanks. I should add that while I like the stereo I installed in my WRX (MB Quart components, Alpine amps, Eclipse HU) just a bit better (mostly for the staging - midrange placement in lower door panel instead of kickpanel), this setup in the coupe really sounds GREAT, and I'm quite pleased that I spent the money on this equipment - and did the whole install myself.

Please keep in mind that this is only my second/fourth full stereo install (1st: WRX, 2nd: Z3M, 3rd: E30 325is, 4th: Z3M round 2), and all with basic hand tools, a Dremel, and an 18V cordless drill - hence the lack of polish.

Unfortunately I just realized that I left the key word 'STEREO' out of the title... that won't help when people try to search. Oh well...

Okay - the caps... from what I understand, these are from an E46 M3 - they cover the front strut top access point (on the strut tower brace). RealOEM lists them as 'Covering Left' and 'Covering Right'. P/Ns are 51717895251 and 51717895252 respectively. Price is listed as $8.27 each. The original (previous) owner had the coilovers installed - and at the time had the trim/foam cut out and the caps installed.

03 Covering left 1 51717895251 $8.27
    03 Covering right 1 51717895252 $8.27

HOWEVER, I know some people think the larger access holes are annoying, and prefer smaller access points with small 1" plugs. I had no choice, but think these are great trim bits - except they don't physically attach to anything. I have a solution - I just haven't taken the time to actually build it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 08-22-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    <3 my pdx amps.... nice install.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3Couper View Post
    Looks great man. I need to this on my Coupe. Stock audio blows
    I'd help if you were closer

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3speed4me View Post
    I'd help if you were closer
    Yep, same here. I will tell you that this was a very EASY project, just time consuming. Helps to have another car to drive while the coupe is disassembled...

Z3speed4me is offline Coupe Cartel Forever! BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    MCoupe, Q3, Tiguan
    I hear ya on that one... mine was just a like 24 hour straight though process, since I only had one car but it definitely wasn't hard at all.

Still searching for my feedback gremlin though after rewiring it twice now, and using 2 sets of rca's I have no idea where it is coming from, but I just kinda deal with it at this point.

~Ken~ '99 M coupe THE "original" TT Stage 3 - HTA3586R; 701 whp 672 wtq @ 26.5 psi ; NeverSell - CoupeCartel

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Fortunately, IIRC, very little feedback on this system - I'm not sure I've ever heard it actually... I had an E36 328i years ago that had a terrible whine to the aftermarket stereo. Glad it's notably absent, or at least not notably present...
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 05-03-2010 at 01:06 PM.

My Cars
    2003 BMW Z4 Roasdter
    Very impressive work. It all looks stock!
    Fleet:
    2003 BMW Z4 Roadster 3.0i
    2013 Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by dblcrona View Post
    Very impressive work. It all looks stock!
    Thanks!

If anything, I wish I could have found a slightly longer piece of steel for the base plate, so that I could have mounted both Alpine crossovers on it, not just the one. Oh well, it still works where it is, and it's covered up, so no big loss.

Details on the MOLEX plugs:
    1. All the MOLEX bits are .093" pin, and were purchased from VETCO in WA.
    2. I paid roughly $45 for all the MOLEX components, including the pin extractor tool, tax, and shipping. I'd say that's a very good deal.
    3. The best part of the MOLEX harnesses is that if I decide to reinstall the stock system, I'll simply build matching male MOLEX plugs onto the appropriate wires from the HK/OEM harness, and it will be plug-and-play...

My Cars
    '01 M Coupe - Rover
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWBergy View Post
    S

Where did you get the cover for the cd changer???

My Cars
    Several
    Where do I get a net like that?
    "If the Corvette is a rebellious child of the extended automotive family, the M coupe is the blackest of sheep." - via Car & Driver

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSean View Post
    Where did you get the cover for the cd changer???
    Sean,

As far as I know, that trim cover was standard on all non-changer-equipped cars. My car (mid-2000) came with a CD43 Business CD head unit, and no changer. I'm trying to find it on realoem to get a part number for you, but no luck yet.

My Cars
    E36M3/E46M3/E39M5/E63M6
    That CD changer cover is $75 something bucks from the dealer.
    E36/8 2000 M Coupe Cosmos Black/Black
    Shark, Conforti CAI, B&B Exhaust, H&R, Bilstein, AKG Subframe/Diff, UUC TME Red/Caps, Swapped Front Hats, Ice>Link.
    ================================================== =======================

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by adonnan View Post
    Where do I get a net like that?
    Ha! I wondered how long before someone asked me about the net.

It's actually an OEM BMW net for an E36 M3. It may look triangular, but I just took the two rear corner hooks and weaved them through the net toward the single aft tie-down.

My Cars
    2002 M coupe & 2008 M3
    Thanks for the writeup and pics. Bookmarked for when I tackle this over the summer. You've also solidified my choice of going with an Alpine PDX-5 amp.
    2002 M coupe - Imola/Imola, 18" BBS LM, Wilwood BBK, TC Kline S/A coilovers, Supersprint V2 stepped headers, SS Section 1 race cats, SS Section 2 X-pipe, SS Race exhaust, 3.73 differential, Sport mode, Dinan ECU
    2008 M3 sedan - Melbourne/Black, 6MT, AA test pipes, Dinan exhaust, BPM Sport tune, Dinan intake, Swift springs

My Cars
    2000 M-Coupe, 1994 SE-R

It's actually an OEM BMW net for an E36 M3. It may look triangular, but I just took the two rear corner hooks and weaved them through the net toward the single aft tie-down.
    In my search for a How To on gaining access to the top of the rear shocks (so I can adjust these Konis) I found this thread with this cargo net. So, bumping this from the grave to ask about the part number for this cargo net? I'm still a newb when it comes to realoem. I think I found what I'm looking for, but the image doesn't look like you can slide the hooks around to turn it into a triangle.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...46&hg=51&fg=95

I found some other threads in my searching, but they were all related to the factory cargo net, cargo cover, or even front foot-well nets. Any help would be appreciated.

My Cars
    Several

Brilliant. Thanks for figuring that out for us.
    "If the Corvette is a rebellious child of the extended automotive family, the M coupe is the blackest of sheep." - via Car & Driver

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Sean,

As far as I know, that trim cover was standard on all non-changer-equipped cars. My car (mid-2000) came with a CD43 Business CD head unit, and no changer. I'm trying to find it on realoem to get a part number for you, but no luck yet.
    Its the same piece when you get the CD changer.

The only difference is they put a wood knob on it.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    #Project333Ti & Z3 Coupe
    Clean install! Love the work, and I'd love to hear it some time in person!

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by e30polak View Post
    Clean install! Love the work, and I'd love to hear it some time in person!
    Thanks! Should probably update this thread with v.3... Sectioned (and cleaner!) rear trunk floor to facilitate battery and tool access, different head unit, front tweeters, and a stealthy iPod install. Appreciate the reminder!

My Cars
    '02 M Coupe x2
    I'm seriously jealous. I've been looking into redoing the audio on the DD, and I'm obsessed with the cleanliness of this install. May I steal your brain and hands when I do mine? I'll put em back after I'm done.
    '02 M Coupe, Estoril Blue on Estoril
    '02 M Coupe, -???-Who knows-???-
    ‘02 M Coupe, Alpine White on Black
    '06 M Coupe, Interlagos Blue/Black Carbon Leather
    ’99 M3 Coupe, Technoviolet/Black
    ’04 VW R32, Reflex Silver/Black Cloth

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffyD View Post
    I'm seriously jealous. I've been looking into redoing the audio on the DD, and I'm obsessed with the cleanliness of this install. May I steal your brain and hands when I do mine? I'll put em back after I'm done.
    Feel free. I'm barely using the former.

I should also note that I helped Ronan1 with a similar install in his Boston Green coupe, though he is using the factory sub enclosure with a kicker 6.5 sub.
    Last edited by BMWBergy; 01-03-2014 at 10:11 PM.

My Cars
    '02 M Coupe x2
    I'm going to be using the custom enclosure with a 10". Though I kind of wish I could figure out a way to work in a square sub.

Right now I'm wondering if I should go all out and incorporate tweeters in with my install.
    '02 M Coupe, Estoril Blue on Estoril
    '02 M Coupe, -???-Who knows-???-
    ‘02 M Coupe, Alpine White on Black
    '06 M Coupe, Interlagos Blue/Black Carbon Leather
    ’99 M3 Coupe, Technoviolet/Black
    ’04 VW R32, Reflex Silver/Black Cloth

My Cars
    Audi B8.5 S4
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffyD View Post
    I'm going to be using the custom enclosure with a 10". Though I kind of wish I could figure out a way to work in a square sub. Right now I'm wondering if I should go all out and incorporate tweeters in with my install.
    Just the other day someone posted a pic (Randy Forbes?) of a car with an elevated floor that seemed to have a square sub.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast