Thread: Replacement Rear Window Installation

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3

Replacement Rear Window Installation

After reading some of the info. on this site about replacing the rear window, we finally decided to go for it. My daughter has a 2000 Z3 and the rear window was terrible. We bought the window on ebay from an authorized BMW dealer for $195 including shipping. After researching the $85 replacement offered by emiata, I decided against that and I am glad that I did. MHO. We used the instructions referred to on another post in this forum. The instructions are located at:

http://www.zvolution.com/documents/5..._roadster).pdf

I wanted to add some tips and techniques that I think may make the process of changing the window easier.

First you take the old window out. The procedure for doing that is fairly straight forward with no surprises. You use a tool that is included in the window kit, called a "folding leg". I don't know why they call it that. I think something may have been lost in translation. The "folding leg" is the plastic, pointed tool that is included in the window kit.

Next it tells you to remove the old adhesive by hand without using any chemicals. What we found works best and what I think they intend is to vigorously rub your fingers back and forth across the part of the convertible top where the window seals with the top. As you do this you will notice that the old adhesive will ball up and come off. Avoid the temptation to do a half way job on this step, or you may end up with a problem with the new window not sealing with the top. Get off all of the adhesive that you can.

Attaching the metal zipper handle to the window was not too bad, but it does require careful study of the drawing in the instructions to be sure you are putting it on the correct side of the zipper and in the correct direction. You then have to start the zipper onto the zipper that is attached to the convertible top. This is the most critical part and it was the most time-consuming. The first problem was that there is no plastic point that fits into the metal zipper handle like you would find on a coat, etc. There is a small area of fabric that has some kind of adhesive coating on it and that's all. When you try to start the zipper, the fabric frays and balls up preventing you from starting the zipper. We then trimmed the fabric and put Jet Glue on it. Jet Glue is a very potent clear glue that will soak into the fabric and harden very quickly. You should be able to buy some at any craft store. Be very careful not to get the glue on the zipper teeth. This worked like a charm. I did find that it worked better to push the metal zipper handler onto the zipper by pushing it from the back instead of trying to pull it with the handle. When pulling it with the handle, it tends to go sideways and contribute to more shredding of the fabric zipper leader.

The next problem is getting the top aligned correctly. From what we experienced, you will have to be lucky to get it right the first time. If it isn't aligned, you will have diagonal wrinkles in the window after it is zipped in. When this happens, look at the window and it is easy to see which direction the bottom of the window needs to move to be aligned. Then take a silver Sharpie marker and put a dot on the inside of the top by one side of the zipper. Then place another dot on the opposite side of the zipper in a position that if the two dots where aligned, the top would be aligned. (The dots should be separated by the amount that you think the top needs to shift). Then you will unzip the window and restart the zipper again. Right after starting the zipper, you can refer to the dots to see if the desired shift was attained. If it wasn't, it only takes a couple of minutes to unzip it and restart. If it isn't aligned just keep at it and be patient. You will get it straight if you are patient. When we used this method, after aligning our dots on the second try, the window was absolutely perfect. It looks like one off of the showroom floor.

The next and last step is to remove the covers over the new adhesive strips and tuck the edges of the convertible top into the moulding on the window. You then rub it with force to make the adhesive form a new seal.

Most of the job was done with two people, but when we were zipping in the window, we had two people to hold the window and one on the inside to do the zipping. The job took us a total of 1 hour 50 minutes including plenty of time to carefully read the instructions and to take our time with the process. For someone who is reasonably patient, I would definitely recommend this as a do-it-yourself project. If you don't get in a hurry, it's not that difficult.

Note: This does not include every detail of the installation. My tips are meant to be used in conjuction with the instructions that are referred to above.
    Last edited by twistngrip; 09-29-2009 at 12:39 AM.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    All good info, thanks for putting that up.

The only thing I will add, is to run the new zipper once around the window, and then around the top before putting the two together. This will make sure that there are no misaligned teeth or fabric in the way. The dealer's tech assure's me that he's never had a problem with the zipper since he's started doing that.

Good job, and I'll bet your daughter is happy now that she can see out the rear window.

My Cars
    e30, e46, Super Duty
    Nice post, thanks for the info! I need to do mine but I've been putting it off for years since I rarely drive with the top up....but it would be nice to be able to see clearly out the back when I do
    1991 e30 318is Slicktop - Gone
    1996 LS1 Z3 - Gone
    99 e46 323i - Gone
    2003 e46 xiT - Hers
    2014 F-250 CC- Mostly stock

My Cars
    '96 Z3
    It's post like these that make this board such a valuable resource. Great job!

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Thanks for the tips. I need to do mine, been too chicken. lol

Was it difficult to work around the roll hoops? I thought of taking them out, rather than try to stretch my arms around them.

Why be stock?

www.the-mod-squad.org

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0i
    I bought the rear window from emiata and had a local trim shop install it for me today. Turned out great! The trim shop actually really liked it and is going to order from emiata for other cars he is doing. I watched the whole procedure, and surely would not do it myself. He charged me 120 bucks for the install, it took him the better part of two hours. The stealer wanted $657 plus tax (Canadian) to install. My total cost was $230 installed. Just some thought!!

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Anyone have any clever ideas regarding cleaning up the old adhesive gunk?

I'm also dealing with cleaning up black silicon that I used to re-seal the top corners...

My Cars
    Z3 2.5i Roadster (2001)
    Goof off has worked for me in the past.

My Cars
    1997 BMW Z3 1.9L 5MT
    Goof Off removes adhesive from the canvas? I would think that as a solvent, it would either dissolve and drive the adhesive into the fabric, or do nothing to it.
    BMW MOA 696, BMW CCA 1405

My Cars
    2001 M Roadster
    Yah, no goof off on fabric.

Also, getting the damn zipper started filled me with rage. MAKE SURE YOU START ON THE ZIPPERS CLOSEST TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD. I got the zipper pull on the window first then zipped a little and adjusted a couple times until the tabs and teeth were all aligned properly.