Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: S54 M will be Super Charged!!!

My Cars
    Rook, lowend power loss???

My Cars
    M3/Z3/X1/X3
    Yeah. Since the S54 is such a high revving motor, you need to make sure with the supercharger kit that you're not pushing 15 lbs of boost at 7500rpm, so to do this you gear down the blower a little bit so that its pushing normal peak boost at high RPMS. ALSO, because the motor is such high CR to begin wtih, it can't be pushing much boost at peak ANYWAY. Soooooo....

That means at lower rpms, around town driving, the blower will more than likely SUCK power because of the hp required just to spin that thing. :-)

Anyone agree/disagree?

My Cars
    yes and no. It can happen for sure, what you describe. But with a proper tune on a centrifugal blower you should be ok. And besides, Sean has gears (3.46's) in his car too, so that should help get things spinning in the fun zone that much sooner.

But in my car, my torque curve is nice and flat and fat. My torque peak is at 4400 rpm, but my hp peak is at my redline of 6500 rpm, but no lowend loss to speak of....

My Cars
    M3/Z3/X1/X3
    Yeah, I think your motor is fine. But you run more boost than the S54 could probably safely handle without a CR drop, and you have a lower redline, so I'm sure yours is fine.

And while the 3.64 gears will help keep the revs up, I'm thinking about the overall driveability of the normal S54s, as well as those people who keep it down low for around town driving.

Maybe I worry too much about it, but I had a lowend loss with my blower on my Corrado. I made 230whp up top so I couldn't complain too much, but I didnt like the feel of powerloss down low.

My Cars
    Nope, you're right to bring it up, it's a concern and good to be reminded of it.

And for the record, I realize it's likely a typo, but Sean's car has 3.46's, not 3.64's (like the E46 M3 has).

And yeah, my car's compression like 10.2-10.5:1 or something like that, a bit lower than the S54's...

And my engine's natural redline was only 6250 rpms, but with my software it's not 6500 rpms. Always feels a bit weird exceeding the red with the little needle on the tach each time I do it.... visually speaking...

My Cars
    M3/Z3/X1/X3
    LOL. Thats funny. My tach red lines at 4500. and my tachometer ENDS at 5K. (in my E30) but I've revved it all the way up to 5800 rpm. :-)

My Cars
    Recovering Boost Junkie...
    I agree, Rook does have a valid point. I guess it all depends on initial boost when the SC starts spinning. I just talked to Jeff and Osh at RMS and they said the effect should be similar or better than S52 SC. Since S54 motor does have more low end torque than S52, the effect of low end loss should be minimal to say the least.

Well, that's the words from RMS so we will have to wait and see. I just found out that RMS needs my ECU by Thursday. So I will have to drop off my car on Wendesday. Hew...So many things to be sorted out and so little time.
    2008 X5 4.8i
    2003 330xi -sold-
    2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
    2001 M5 -sold-
    2001 M Roadster (SCed, Highly modified) -sold-
    2000 M Roadster -sold-
    1995 325is -sold-

My Cars
    Sean, when it's tuned properly, you'll be fine, no low end loss to speak of, trust me.

My car produces 90% of it's peak torque from 2000-6000 rpm, nice and flat and fat....

My Cars
    I just dropped off my car at Curry's and they were going to overnight my ECU to RMS in CA. Curry's was nice enough to provide me with a renter car until Sunday. I am starting to see what Phillip was talking about when he mentioned "VIP" treatment.

Chris at Curry's has mentioned that a few people asked them about S54 SC after reading our posts here. That is GREAT. I assume that more people will inquire about it after everything goes well with my car and the power gain is respectable.

Oh, and I talked to Chris at BMW of Sterling today and I was told that my warranty will go down the tubes after this blower job. Oh well, you win some and you lose some.

Just a few more days...Yes...just a few more days...Thanks again for all of your support on this, guys. There is nothing definite yet but the excitement alone is almost worth the money.
    2008 X5 4.8i
    2003 330xi -sold-
    2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
    2001 M5 -sold-
    2000 M Roadster -sold-
    1995 325is -sold-

My Cars
    '07 335i, '07 Ducati S4RS Testastretta
    Good for you...bad for me...

I'm still waiting to see whether I'll be able to go ahead with my Stage III operation. The RMS guys were frantically trying to fashion a drilling tool that will enable them to install a new head gasket that is required for the upgrade. If Curry's can get their hands on the part by tomorrow, they will be able to get everything squared away in time for Saturday's events. If not, Osh will have to fly back out in a couple of weeks to tune the car.

Tomorrow morning, I will drop my car off anyway and...say it with me folks...WAIT TO HEAR THE STATUS.

By now, you all must know I have the patience of a saint. I wait like a mofo all the time!!!
    Last edited by ///M Roadster; 09-12-2002 at 06:57 AM.

My Cars
    '05 997 C2, '15 JKU
    good luck guys... and whenever Phil decides to let dave run his car at atco.... I think Seans needs to be right there next to it.
    this space reserved for pissing off liberals...

ronthebabboonslayer: "helmet guy's post is far from polluting"

My Cars
    Das, that would be interesting. It may just be the first SCed S54 performance number ever and it will be a good one (Dave is driving it, come on!!!)

Phillip, so is your Stage III happening on Saturday? I hope Curry's got that special tool today. They are flying in on Friday, so couldn't they just bring the tool on Friday??? I was told that Osh and Jeff will probably stay until Sunday to make sure everything is running fine. Maybe they can work on your car on Friday and Sunday upon your special request.

When Osh comes back here in 2 weeks, he said he will do final tuning on my car. I would assume you would want to get your final tuning then as well...that is...if you get your kit by this weekend...just my thought...
    2008 X5 4.8i
    2003 330xi -sold-
    2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
    2001 M5 -sold-
    2000 M Roadster -sold-
    1995 325is -sold-

My Cars
    Well, I dropped the car. I will give CA a call to see how things went and see if they can't just bring the tool with them.

Sean, you coming for drinks tomorrow night to welcome jcarp (John) to our area?

My Cars
    95 3.0ti
    Yes, everyone come watch me try to convince Phillip not to do an all out Stage III conversion on his car...

My Cars
    M3/Z3/X1/X3
    Doh, John did you move out of the Woodinville area? Lost another!!!

My Cars
    95 3.0ti
    No, I'm just going back east on business and thought I'd drop in at the Clash and say hi to Osh and Jeff.

My Cars
    jcarp, you're kidding, right?

Anyway, the Stage III is not happening this weekend. So, you have two more weeks to convince me otherwise. But, I will be getting some other stuff put on, which will remain a surprise.

My Cars
    Yes, I will gladly work both Phil's and Sean's clutch at the track...

My Cars
    '05 997 C2, '15 JKU
    yeah dave you guys will be posting 1.8s 60-ft times while I'm stuck with 3.0s..... damn porsche torque-curve!

time is ticking dave... the deal goes down in 2 weeks.
    this space reserved for pissing off liberals...

ronthebabboonslayer: "helmet guy's post is far from polluting"

My Cars
    95 3.0ti
    No, I'm not kidding. I'd fly anywhere for beer and BMW's

My Cars
    jcarp rocks!

That's gotta go in a famous quote section somewhere:

"I'd fly anywhere for beer and BMW's"

das, no porsches for you, dammit!

And 1.8's only if these guys make me stick with their OEM tires... Let me slap on my drag radials and we'll what happens....

My Cars
    New development on my car.
    I just talked to Curry's and they are done installing the super charger part. They said it looks very similar to S52 SC except mounting brackets and hoses.

They are waiting for Osh and Jeff to fly in with Intake part of the SC and it comes with "Injectiong Cooling Kit". Curry's has not seen it in person yet so they do not know what to expect. Apparently, it's a custom designed water injection kit on intake side. As soon as I find out more, I will update.

One more day to go and my car will begin its new life!!!
    2008 X5 4.8i
    2003 330xi -sold-
    2001 X5 4.4i -sold-
    2001 M5 -sold-
    2000 M Roadster -sold-
    1995 325is -sold-

My Cars
    WI, cool! You will be making sick power, my friend!

My Cars
    GRRRRR.....!

Sean's gonna be the new Big Man On Campus!

My Cars
    Phil, as I have said a million times over, it's not how much power you have, it's what you can do with it, that matters.

There are always gonna dudes out there with more power than us, just enjoy driving YOUR car to the fullest.

My car is way down on power from a lot of guys here, you, Sean (soon), OZ3M, Ferrarokid, and probably lots of others who slip my mind at the present. That doesn't diminish my enjoyment of stepping on the skinny pedal and watching the trees blur any...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast