RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Dashboard light burned out, difficult to replace?

My Cars
    97 M3/4 w/mods

Dashboard light burned out, difficult to replace?

It seems like the bulb by the fuel gauge. Is it difficult to remove the cluster?...I wacked the dash a few times but it didn't work. I still have warranty left on the car but I'd rather fix it myself.

My Cars
    07 335i coupe, 06 GX470
    Warranty it. You have to take the steering wheel off and the airbag out to get to it.

My Cars
    '97 E36 M3 2-door, '02 YZF-R1
    You may or may not have to take the steering wheel off. I changed my odometer/trip meter bulb without removing the steering wheel, but Bryan ///M3 had to take the airbag and steering wheel off to get to the CE light.

Even still, it's not so bad. Disconnect the battery for 15-20 minutes before you do anything, then remove the two torx screws that hold in the airbag (backside of the steering wheel). Remove and disconnect the airbag, then remove the center nut to the steering wheel itself. Make some sort of mark so you know how to line up the wheel again when you reinstall, then take off the wheel.

Gauge cluster involves two torx (I think...maybe hex) bolts on the top that you remove. Then use a small flathead screwdriver (or something like it) to pull the two metal brackets (where the bolts were) downwards to clear the recess. Then tip the top of the cluster towards you a bit, and wiggle the cluster out.

"Installation is reverse of removal" of course. Make sure you connect the airbag again before you reconnect power, or your SRS light will go on and you'll be going to the dealer anyway.
    -c///m
    1997 Estorilblau M3 2-door
    Performance: JC euro intake, AA Gen III exhaust, Evosport UDP, fan delete, Schrick cams, OBD-I intake manifold, 540 HFM, ASC delete, 24# fuel injectors, DiffsOnline 3.46 40% LSD, Boston BMWCCA sticker
    Suspension: TC Kline SA (Suck-A**) coilovers, ///M front strut brace, X-brace, TCK RSM, Powerflex RTAB, Turner sways, Motorforce camber plates, RRT reinforced rear LCAs
    Lighting: ZKW w/ HID, Euro clears, Lamin-X foglight film
    Other: Z3 steering rack, SS brake and clutch lines, Stygar SSK, UUC TME, VDO Gauges, MB Quart Discus components, MB Quart Discus 6x9 triaxials, Audio Art NA 4070 280W amp

My Cars
    97 M3/4 w/mods
    Thanks

My Cars
    TBSS, 90 348, 65 Mustang
    Left some things out....

The 3 clips on the back of the cluster are a PITA. See if you can find the instructions on how to install gauge faces, and you'll see a picture of the clips.

Also, you do not have to wait 15-20 minutes after disconecting the battery. And once the battey is disconected, you can put the key back in and turn the wheel.

There are 2 T30's holding the bag on, a 16mm bolt holding the wheel on, and 2 T10's holding the cluster on. Then you will need a thin T10 to remove the 5-6 screws holding the cluster together after you pull it out of the car.

My Cars
    97' 328i, 97' 528i
    the whole operation is a pain in the ass, I did it and those clips SUCK.... i'd take it to the stealer if a)its free b)i have the time...
    Car: 1997 Artic Silver 328i AKA "Wanna be M3" <-Brent_Hockey
    Current Mods:
    K&N Stock Air Filter Replacement
    Tilt Steering Retrofit
    Operation: "A little less understeer"
    24/19 Sway Bar Configuration
    99' M3 Conv Rear Springs

Car: 1997 Black 528i
    Current Mods:
    Coming Soon!!!
    Operation: "A little less understeer II"
    M5 Rear Struts, Springs, and Sway

Brent brings ALOT to the table.
    Sorry, Brent! Forgive Me (you did call my car a wannabe M3 though)

My Cars
    '97 E36 M3 2-door, '02 YZF-R1
    Clips? I don't remember any clips. Then again, I wasn't replacing one of the backlight bulbs, so maybe I didn't have to mess with them.
    -c///m
    1997 Estorilblau M3 2-door
    Performance: JC euro intake, AA Gen III exhaust, Evosport UDP, fan delete, Schrick cams, OBD-I intake manifold, 540 HFM, ASC delete, 24# fuel injectors, DiffsOnline 3.46 40% LSD, Boston BMWCCA sticker
    Suspension: TC Kline SA (Suck-A**) coilovers, ///M front strut brace, X-brace, TCK RSM, Powerflex RTAB, Turner sways, Motorforce camber plates, RRT reinforced rear LCAs
    Lighting: ZKW w/ HID, Euro clears, Lamin-X foglight film
    Other: Z3 steering rack, SS brake and clutch lines, Stygar SSK, UUC TME, VDO Gauges, MB Quart Discus components, MB Quart Discus 6x9 triaxials, Audio Art NA 4070 280W amp

My Cars
    93 325
    Smackbelly, hows the tilt going? Did you get those bolts loose yet?

Re pulling the cluster, I pulled the radio and was able to fit my hand in behind to push forward. Big hands don't need to bother. Remember to let the airbag capacitor discharge at least 20 minutes after disconnecting the battery. You might be able to change a couple bulbs without pulling the steering wheel, there's still a little room to rotate the cluster. The cluster mounting screw tabs press tight to the dash, a feeler guage blade should work to deflect them enough for the cluster to move forward without damaging the tabs or dash.