Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: SMG tranny to manual?

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    RE accelerator pedal resistance, I removed the potentiometer and linkage above it, freed up the pedal a lot, but its still heavy compared to a 320.

My Cars
    96 Evo Cab, 98 Evo Coupe
    Just completed my second conversion, no loss of power, this one is considerably faster than my convertible, again, clutch is very low, approx 25mm off bulkhead, also have the stalling issue on this one although the idle is a bit lumpy so hoping a clean of the ICV and MAF will help, no wiring modifications needed, just disconnected the muti plug under the bonnet and modded the relay as described in this thread

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Dus are you referring to the switch that sits underneath the accelerator pedal? it seems like a "kick down" switch that you would normally see in an automatic car. i dont think the manual car has this switch

My Cars
    98 M3 3.2
    There is a potentiometer and linkage above the accelerator pedal, it is hidden above the underdash panel, which when you remove you can't miss.
    I also removed the kickdown switch and installed an adjustable stop that I made up myself-important to set the right height so you get full throttle travel but not to strain the cable either.

My Cars
    e36M3,635csi
    Hi guys can anybody help me I have got every thing done fitted the master and slave cylinders on the clutch bled them per the instructions in the BMW Tis but have no pedal pressure and it sounds like there is air in the master cylinder. I fitted the FTE master it came with a short bent plastic push in connector with o ring fitted and the clip in place also the end pipe was the same and I recieved some BMW rubber push on hose which I have fitted attaching one end to the resavour and the other I had ashort peice of pipe flanged to fit into the rubber hose and have clamped this the other end attaches to the braided hose and to the new slave.I have tried bleeding towards the slave and also using a syringe back from the slave to the fluid res. No avail This has been the ything I have spent the most time on of the conversion but cannot get going.Would apreciate any assistance. Pete

My Cars
    96 Evo Cab, 98 Evo Coupe
    Sorry, i do not understand, do you have a metal or rubber pipe coming out of the master cylinder?
    Do you have a clutch pedal return spring fitted? Was having trouble with mine until i fitted the coil spring with two sliding brackets type. See items 11 and 14 on http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E3..._clutch_pedal/
    I think it must push the pedal higher giving more travel on the master?

My Cars
    1997 M3 3.2
    Quote Originally Posted by ellislau View Post
    Congratulation, 6MT is a lot better than SMG.

Hve you check if it is caused by the throttle cable, there is a thread about this recently.
    Hi EllisLau, My 3.2 SMG have some problems! Can you call me +852 94914040 . My name is ALAN . Big THANKS!!

My Cars
    e36M3,635csi
    I have a rubber hose comming out of the master joining the braided hose to the slave.I have ordered the metal plug in pipe from BMW and will have it soon.I also have put the return spring on the pedal but I have no pressure in the master as it is sucking air from someware I think it is from the fitting on the end of the master cylinder and the slave

My Cars
    BMW E30
    Hey guys this is awesome thread. I have question, I hear silly noise when SMG shifts 2nd and 5th gears, not all the time, only sometimes. What is the problem?
    Last edited by Modded E30; 07-03-2010 at 07:03 PM.

My Cars
    Vs Commodore
    Quote Originally Posted by ellislau View Post
    For part 1, there is no locking or screw, just withdraw it from the bell house:

Regarding the PIN, instead of fabricating one, you can use the pin from this part, it is from Getrag S5D250G.

The bearing size as mentioned before by another member is 22mm/8mm(hole) and 7mm thick.

My friend did it on a RHD M3 and didn't need the above clutch line mounting parts.

With regards to part 23-31-1-282-578 do I need one or 2 of these for the pins? Have not got the trans out yet so trying to get all the parts in advance.

My Cars
    M3 Evo, 328 trackcar
    Quote Originally Posted by goughie View Post
    Thanks for that,
    Is there any way you can tell by looking at the box which model it came from?
    Is the prop the same?
    Cheers,
    Paul
    Sorry I missed your post. The 5 speed I have is from a M3 3.0. I also know the 328i 5 speed is exactly the same. The prop used I used is the M3 3.0. It mates directly to the 5 speed and the Evo diff with no modification required.

My Cars
    S50B32
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen77 View Post
    With regards to part 23-31-1-282-578 do I need one or 2 of these for the pins? Have not got the trans out yet so trying to get all the parts in advance.
    Need one only.

My Cars
    Vs Commodore

Plug-in pipe

Hi all,

Does anyone have a picture of the plugin pipe. Just want to see what type of bend is in the master cyclinder end.

Regards

Jamie

My Cars
    S50B32
    Msg Removed
    Last edited by ellislau; 07-14-2010 at 09:57 PM.

My Cars
    e36M3,635csi

Question Peter

To the member asking about the plug in pipe it is about a meter long and has a plug in fitting where it goes into the master comes through the fire wall and then makes a u turn back to the out side fire wall and the turns to go over the rear of the motor and joins the hose attached to the slave.I notice that some of the members are saying that the fitting on the hose is different. I found that the braided hose was the same and the original hose fitting was different. I hope that helps.Now I have finished my conversion which I have under taken my self as I live in the country and Find that it is hard to get anyone that knows any thing about mods let alone BMW M3s My problem is I have put the car to gether and when I change into reverse while the motor is going and lift the clutch pedal back to engage the gear the shifter jumps out of gear it does this in 1st and 2nd as well but is all right in the other gears Any advice would be apreciated.

My Cars
    S50B32
    My friend M3 had the same problem, it was caused by incorrect procedure on installing part 16:

It was fixed afterward by reinstalling the parts in a proper way.

My Cars
    e36M3,635csi
    Thanks ellislau I havent replaced those parts 16 do I have to and are there three springs with cups, are they longer the springs or firmer I still have the springs and the ball at the bottom have you replaced them and did it make a difference.

Peter

My Cars
    S50B32
    Quote Originally Posted by Petero635 View Post
    Thanks ellislau I havent replaced those parts 16 do I have to and are there three springs with cups, are they longer the springs or firmer I still have the springs and the ball at the bottom have you replaced them and did it make a difference.

Peter
    Hi peter, it is optional to replace them. I couldn't tell the difference as mine was replaced during the conversion.
    Last edited by ellislau; 10-27-2010 at 08:37 AM.

My Cars
    95 E36 328i, 11 E82 135i
    Hey gents I've just seen one of these boxes come up for sale nice and cheap locally. I see the conversion isn't too difficult for a skilled mechanic. What I am wondering is are these SMG boxes electronically different from the manual ones?

Reason I ask is I plan on doing a manual conversion for my auto 328i and getting this SMG box and converting it is MUCH cheaper than buying a manual one from the wreckers (I can get this SMG box for 3rd of the cost). Some of you said you need to keep the SMG computer for it work, thats why I was wondering.

My Cars
    1998 M3
    hey Joe, with my conversion, the SMG computer has been disconnected and removed completely.

the only electronic issue was that the main computer in the SMG cars need to see a signal from the SMG computer to start. this can be easily bypassed though.

this wouldn't effect you though

My Cars
    Vs Commodore

SMG Cluster delete

Does anyone remembers which plug to disconnect from cluster to get rid of the smg

thanx Talen

My Cars
    95 E36 328i, 11 E82 135i
    Okay thanks mate, so this box following modifcation will be functionally the same as the manual 6-speed. Cheers

My Cars
    1998 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mumblyjoe View Post
    Okay thanks mate, so this box following modifcation will be functionally the same as the manual 6-speed. Cheers
    yep they are exactly the same, besides the springs etc to gate the shifter. if you put in the manual shifter without the springs, the shifter will be sloppy with no resistance, and it will be far too easy to select reverse etc whilst you are moving. not a good thing!

converting from auto to manual should be fairly similar to the SMG to manual conversion - except i think youll need the M3 drive shaft and diff?

My Cars
    95 E36 328i, 11 E82 135i
    I'd imagine so. I might be okay with the diff for now, but might need different half-shaft. Regardless I'll probably put a higher ratio diff in since I will still have a 6th gear available for highway cruising.

Some other questions, do these 6 speed use different mounts compared to the 5 speeds? Anything else that would be different compared to a 5-speed manual setuo? Otherwise looks like I'll be getting this 6 speed box, for an absolute steal

My Cars
    Vs Commodore

Conversion complete

Hi All,

First up thanks for all the help. A few hints for those going forward, the plugin pipe from a 325 can be made to fit, do not remove fuse 7 and smg computer removal is optional. I will have some more hints and will post a full parts list of what I used as well as the machine shop details where I got my bell housing done tomorrow.

Thanx again

Talen

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast