Thread: DIY: Window Regulator and Wind/rattle Noise Fix

My Cars
    e46 323ci

DIY: Window Regulator and Wind/rattle Noise Fix

Hello Guys
    I've been getting lots of help here and I decided to write Window regulator and wind noise fix especially for e46 coupe.

I never fixed my window regulator before and it took me more than 4 hours to do this job. First I didn't have right tools, second I was not familiar with window regulator DIY.

Please read through carefully and hope you can fix wind/rattle noise thru your window seal.

Here is the tools you need for this DIY.

First. You need to check the gap between your front window and rubber seal. (aka weather strip)

I had more than 3cm of gap and I hear constant wind noise when I am on the highway. It was very embarrassing and ambient temperature when down rapidly due to the gap between weather strip and window. So it was pretty hard for me to maintain constant in car temperature.

I thought it's because of worn out weather strip so I actually ordered a new window seal from Tischer. (BMW Toronto asked me to pay them $400 for the part only!!) Thank you Tischer. (http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462)

After I change my window sealing (weather strip) I thought I will no longer have noise/rattle problem between my window and strip.

Well I was facing exactly same problem even after I change the sealing.
    Now I decided to change my window regulator because that might fix my problem. So I ordered both driver/passenger side window regulators and installed passenger side first.

I should've take some pictures while I am working on my passenger side window regulator but as I said above I didn't have right tools to take every part out and that lead me into panic mode
    So I will use driver side window regulator to explain this DIY.

Before you do this please disconnect your battery since you need to take out your side airbag.

Original Window regulator DIY for Sedan.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=356847

(pics from other DIY)

For coupe it's little bit different.

Here is Driver side window regulator.

now the driver side window will fit like this.

There is a hole on the window and there is a screw that you can tighten it.

You can't see a screw here because it's with my original window regulator.

You have to re-use that screw. There is a black plastic part inside part A.

That makes you able to move window back and forth.

In order to move window back and forth there are two screws involve.

One from Part A and the other from Part B.

Also you can adjust window height.

Make sure you have less than 0.7cm of gap between window and sealing.

There is another way to adjust this without take door panel out but you won't be able to do this without understanding the mechanism.

Several people include myself asked why I keep hear wind noise when I go over +90km/h and no one seems they are able to answer it.

Hope all e46 coupe drivers can fix this problem.

My point is You can't fix problem by changing Window sealing (weather strip) so don't waste your money on that!

My Cars
    330 ci
    Hey, since I did unplug the battery when replacing the widow regulator, now the air bag light came on. How can I get rid of the light or reset it. Also, my seat light also is on as well. Please advice.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    If you power up the electrical systems of the car (e.g. turn the key) while any airbag is disconnected, the airbag light will come on. It won't reset itself.
    You have three options:
    1) Dealership
    2) Well-equipped independent shop (http://www.bimrs.org)
    3) SRS reset tool such as the Peake R5-SRS, available from several of our fine forum sponsors.

I opted for #2 since my local shop only charged me $20. Dealership wanted $158+tax. If I had to do it again I'd probably get the Peake tool.

My Cars
    93 W140 '02 E39 540i
    Interesting to see coupe regulators have metal parts for all the little bits to attach to the cable AND a screw to adjust, items which on a sedan regulator do not exist. Sedan, no adjustment = creaky windows, plastic clip = broken regulator.
    My beloved, 2000 323i, Loaded, h/k, sport/premium, Z3 Short shifter, edead all over, NHT1259 Free air, bilsteins HDs, two tone cardinal red leather on doors. Sold

My German bricks: 1988 300TE Estate E-Class, 1993 S Class 500SEL, in a class of it's own, The "Beast", and a 2002 BMW 540iA, My daily, lots of fun .
    -BMW Service Technician

My Cars
    2001 740il, X3, 2500HD
    Did the old regulator have plastic parts?

My Cars
    e90 M3
    i'm about to attempt a window reg DIY. pretty much got the basics down from reading up.

anything specifically that hasn't been mentioned (in any of the guides in the e46 DIY guides in the Window section)to be careful about in a e46 01 2dr?

my window is snap,crackle,popping when i roll it up and down, hopefully the "zip-tie" trick will do it, if not its to the dealer for a fresh one.
    Last edited by tyler0630; 01-30-2009 at 03:35 PM.