Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: E36 Radio Removal Help...

My Cars
    1997 328is

E36 Radio Removal Help...

I've just recently replaced the battery in my '97 328is and as a result the radio reset. I called the dealership to request the radio code and they informed me that it was located on the back of the radio. Well, 2 hours and some broken plastic later and I still can't seem to get the radio to budge. Everything I've read online and by searching the forums says the radio should pop right out after the screws on the front are removed. Mine are both out, but the left side of the radio absolutely won't move. I've tried prying at it with a screwdriving but that only resulted in breaking the front plastic on it a bit. Is there anything I'm forgetting or perhaps another way to remove it?

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    The screws do not actually "come out". You turn them counter-clockwise until they stop. Then the radio will slide out. It sometimes seems like you are spinning forever but make sure it stops spinning.

It sounds like it may be stripped and you are spinning inside the screw and not the screw itself.

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Thanks for the response, I'll try loosening them more later tonight. I guess that explains why when I flipped open the panels it seemed like the screws were actually missing. Guess I just misunderstood that part from the tutorials I read.

My Cars
    99 E36 Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey6856 View Post
    Thanks for the response, I'll try loosening them more later tonight. I guess that explains why when I flipped open the panels it seemed like the screws were actually missing. Guess I just misunderstood that part from the tutorials I read.
    I know this an old thread, but mine looks the same way with the panels popped open. Doesn't look like there is a screw there. A T10 Torx won't do it. Tried that. Any ideas? TIA

My Cars
    Early 1995 740IL
    Someone Help, I am having the same problem but in my 1996 E38 to remove the Tape Deck. There are no screws behind the little plastic flaps on the Tape Deck. How do I get the radio out? Thanks, Andy.

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    They are not really screws and they are set back into the radio. They turn counter clockwise and eventually stop spinning and then you can slide it out

My Cars
    Early 1995 740IL
    What do I use to loosen the screws? Torx? Thanks, Andy.

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    It is an odd sized security torx. You can use a really small allen as well

My Cars
    96 ACS S3 CLS, 02 540iA
    I assume that by now the OP was able to get the SN and the Radio Code, but I figured i'd add to this just for future reference and for other peoples' benefit.

On many of the BMW Radios that need Radio Codes it is possible to pull the Serial Number for the radio without actually reading the number printed on the back of the unit (which obviously requires you to remove the radio). On many of them you can turn the ignition on and press and hold the "m" button on the radio. After a short period of holding the "m" button, it should display the SN on the screen. This number can then be used at the dealer to get your radio code...
    Alvin Caragay
    Mpire Automotive (https://www.facebook.com/MpireAutomotive/)
    '96 AC Schnitzer S3 Sport CLS Replica (https://www.facebook.com/ACSS3SportCLSR)
    '02 E39 540iAT

My Cars
    1998 bmw 328ic
    Just took the radio out no problem. It was and allen key. Sorry, but I cannot tell you the size as there is nothing on the key but it was small.

It looks like what these screws do is they push out a tab on the radio casing. When the tabs are pushed out, it prevents the casing from from coming out of the slot. The casing is attached to the radio. One or both of the tabs might be stuck int eh out position.

My Cars
    97 F150, 98 M3/4/5
    going to throw this up there for info for some people. i got an install paper from crutchfield & they said you can use a 5/64th allen key.

that being said, it worked great with removing on side of my radio, but the other appears to be stripped. any other suggestions on how i can get this out to install my new radio? any help would be appreciated.
    1997 Black F150 SCab
    2005 Black LS430 (wife's)
    2001 Blue GS430
    trust is earned, not given

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    I use a little 6-sided Allen tool that sits snug in there for removal. If you really can't find a tool to fit in there (try every bit you can, but don't strip it further) I can loan it to you. PM me if you need.

My Cars
    99 M3 96 328iC
    That is a nice offer for other bf.c members

My Cars
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    Yea a small allen works just as good as the actual tool

My Cars
    97 F150, 98 M3/4/5
    i've got a bunch of different sizes. can you let me know the size that you have & i can see if i have it? thanks.
    1997 Black F150 SCab
    2001 Blue GS430

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    I don't know the size, I don't even know where it came from, but it works perfect for this task. In fact, its the only thing I use it for.

I snapped these pics for you:

My Cars
    97 F150, 98 M3/4/5
    ok, anyone know any other way i can get the stock radio out? i have a kit that has a bunch of different attachments. found one that fits perfectly, but it's like the mechanism is damaged. i can see the screw turning, but the mechanism isn't releasing. anyone have any ideas?
    1997 Black F150 SCab
    2001 Blue GS430

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    you have to turn it like 425 full rotations to release. Obviously I am exaggerating, but it takes a lot of un-winding.

My Cars
    97 F150, 98 M3/4/5
    lol, yeah i know that you have to turn it a lot. it worked on the right side of the radio, but the left is stuck.

well, i finally got the left side retaining screw to release. but now my radio has no sound coming though after i installed the new unit. i just can't win.
    Last edited by ebxgsxr; 10-14-2011 at 11:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    1997 Black F150 SCab
    2001 Blue GS430

My Cars
    '98 328i sedan, '06 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by randomy View Post
    I don't know the size, I don't even know where it came from, but it works perfect for this task. In fact, its the only thing I use it for.

I snapped these pics for you:

Ha... that's an irrigation key. It is used for adjusting sprinkler heads(the kind that pop out of the ground in timed intervals)...