Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Peanut butter to clean trim & moulding. It works great...

My Cars
    E36 M3

Peanut butter to clean trim & moulding. It works great...

...for years I've been reading of people using peanut butter to clean trim pieces to get off dirt and especially wax. For some reason (mostly because I never have peanut butter in the house) I've never tried it before. It sounded kind of messy. Over the years I've used tons of stuff to clean my moulding and trim pieces including soap and water, simple green, and several plastic cleaners. I always finish with a coat of Lexol vinylex as I found several years ago it makes the trim on my E36 M3 look the best. So tonight I tried peanut butter and it works unbelievably well. From now on that's all I need. Just simply clean with soap and water and then hit it with the peanut butter. It has the oils in it to lift the dirt and wax and the slightly gritty texture of the PB is perfect to 'scrub' the parts. I actually used soy butter stuff (just like PB but made with soy) because that's what I had and it worked as good as you could ever want. I can't recommend it enough - I wish I tried it years ago it would have saved a lot of time...

Last edited by brianc; 11-19-2007 at 03:49 AM.

My Cars
    95 M3, 99 Trooper
    Tasty ! must try! how do you remove the trim pieces? and how do you clean it off?

My Cars
    96' 328is, 94' 318is
    wow looks great... yea, how do you get the peanut butter off, after you rub it on? Do you just continue to rub until its off?

1996 328is Schwarz II Black

18" ///M3 wheels l Bilstein Shocks l H&R Springs l Brembo Rotors l CAI l smoked tailights l clear corners l AC Schnitzer Pedals/Shift Knob/E-brake Lever l 15% tint l 8000k HID l Clutch Stop l NEXT: DEPOS/Chromium/HID

My Cars
    S50 ///M Coupe, DSM
    peanut butter is the best.

read post #10, atleast some people take advise.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=867169

My Cars
    e46 m3, e28 m5
    thats wierd. I'll have to try it sometime. Although does it leave a PB smell on it after?

My Cars
    2JZ FD3S, 2JZ M3, 95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tsweers89 View Post
    thats wierd. I'll have to try it sometime. Although does it leave a PB smell on it after?
    more importantly does it taste good afterwards?
    -Andrew Mensah

My Cars
    1991 BMW 535i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by TheM3nsah View Post
    more importantly does it taste good afterwards?
    Actually, yes! After I finished my friends car, the dogs came over and started licking the car so I had to finish the trim off with Natural Shine to take away the smell/taste!

My Cars
    97' 528i, 09' 328i
    this just seems like it would make a horrible mess....am i wrong?

My Cars
    1999 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by grahamggg View Post
    this just seems like it would make a horrible mess....am i wrong?
    evidently...yes
    Jeremy

///
    M3 Titanium / Dove

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Smooth Jif.

You have to stay away from the crunchy stuff and the bacteria contaminated brands.

I understand that the pros over on the detailing boards insist on Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter. And, of course, there's a new Z-Butter coming out soon. It's supposed to be 99% optically perfect peanut butter.

Steve
    2001 530i/5 S+P CDV delete/Akebono ceramic pads/M5 SSK/RedLine MTL/M5 rear sway bar
    BMWCCA Member #337964

My Cars
    E36 M3
    it's not a mess at all - you just need two towels, one to work on and one to wipe off. When you apply the peanut butter you rub it in kind of and go back and forth like you are cleaning it. It gets oily and sort of rubs in. Then you just wipe it off with another towel. After that it's pretty much clean - ready for vinylex or other protectant. You end up with a somewhat dry peanut buttery towel but just throw it in the wash. As I mentioned above I used used the soy stuff and it worked so well I was shocked. I've actually never got my trim that clean - the parts look brand new. Usually I still have some wax residue before giving up and applying the vinylex which covers it up for a few weeks.

My Cars
    90 IROC, 91 Z28, 89 K5
    never woulda thunk to use PB to clean my car. I'll have to give that a shot. anything we can use Jelly on, just to make it complete? : )

My Cars
    97 M3/4
    I would try this on the 5er that I have but unfortunately, allergic to peanuts/peanut butter FTMFL .

My Cars
    Buying a 03 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by M Power623 View Post
    I would try this on the 5er that I have but unfortunately, allergic to peanuts/peanut butter FTMFL .

damn bro i feel for ya. i couldnt live life being allergic to my own nuts.....lol

My Cars
    2JZ FD3S, 2JZ M3, 95 M3
    got bored after taking exams and decided to do it...u decide for urself before > after

-Andrew Mensah

My Cars
    2000 M5
    AutoGlym Vinyl and Plastic reconditioner works best

It is in the form of a gel so application wise it works the same way.

Canadian European Car Magazine & Forum

My Cars
    528i
    i heard this works great and looked it up and im going to try it this weekend. so i guess all i have to do is stay away from the crunchy peanut butter and just get the smooth peanut butter i will be good. my question is how do we take off the trimming on the car without breaking off the clips?

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by BinagMW E39 View Post
    i heard this works great and looked it up and im going to try it this weekend. so i guess all i have to do is stay away from the crunchy peanut butter and just get the smooth peanut butter i will be good. my question is how do we take off the trimming on the car without breaking off the clips?

You don't. Expect to break at least half the trim clips.

Use a nylon trim tool to gently prise off the trim. A screwdriver will scratch the paint, and pulling trim off with your hands may cause the trim to bend or get wavy.

Honestly, if I were using peanut butter, I'd just leave the trim on the car, and not worry about taking it off. The only time I've taken off my exterior trim is so that I could re-dye the trim with Forever Black while PuckMan was polishing the paint.