Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 / S54 swap... doing it the hard way.

Rob Levinson is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes

E36 M3 / S54 swap... doing it the hard way.

For those of you familiar with other drivetrain/engine swaps we've got here in the "UUC family", you've seen that we do it "the hard way" - no shortcuts, no hackjobs.

If it doesn't run like it came from the factory... or, more specificially, if it's got problems from incomplete re-engineering... than I'm just not interested.

That's the exact case with this E36 M3 I've got, getting the S54 transplant.

Here are some of the ways that E36/S54 swaps have been done:

1) "Racecar" style with a standalone engine management system. Works great for a racecar, but all of the various weather tuning and add-on features for a street car are not present. For example, cold-weather starting/running may be compromised, no emissions controls, won't pass OBD-II port scan emissions testing in many states, no traction control, no EWS, sometimes no ABS, etc.

2) Merged systems - leave the E36 DME in place to control most chassis operations, stick in the E46 M3 DME also just to control the engine. This is easier, of course, as it does not require the custom tuning and sensor installation of the standalone system above. Many of the same problems persist, however, including emissions testing problems, no traction control, and possibly problems with ABS and gauges depending on installation. An even bigger problem is the lack of correct signals going to the DSC system, which will then trigger fault codes that reduce engine power. The engine still has more power than the original E36 engine, but not the full power that it should. The reason the E46 M3 DME and wiring cannot simply be substituted for the E36 electronics to regain these functions is that they will not interface with the E36 speed sensors, emissions components, or instrument cluster. The majority of the chassis signals, and even how the signals are run to the instruments, has undergone a major generational change from E36 to E46.

3) The rare S54-powered Z3 M roadster/coupe harness has been discussed as a possibility, and I believe we are the first ones to actually attempt to implement these parts. It makes complete sense, as the Z3 is an E36 variant, and it would appear that BMW has already done the S54 integration for us, right? Well, not so right... while the harness is a good headstart in that it uses the same speed sensors and even the instrument cluster can be swapped over, it does turn out that there are some very big changes that BMW made for this limited edition model. Indeed, many of the advanced E46 electronics changes are in there and problematical for fitting to the E36. But there is a bonus... for going to all the effort, the E36 will inherit true DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) and TPM (Tire Pressure Monitoring). We are relying on the BMW electronics expertise of Brett Anderson at KMS (http://www.koalamotorsport.com), who has completed a dizzying variety of BMW drivetrain swaps over the years.

Our project is very near completion at this point and I will continue to post pics here as we move along.
    Last edited by Rob Levinson; 10-16-2007 at 04:49 PM.
    ----------
    NOT with that company any more.

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    The innocent M3, at this point already equipped with the first E46 M3 gearbox swap from a few years ago (click here for details) and the full UUC catalog:

Front clip of the S54 Z3-M (only 18K miles!) as delivered from Zionsville Autosport to KMS (KMS is one of the few shops in the world capable of sorting out this wiring):

Note the wiring bundle on top of the engine... this is every chassis wire from the Z3, carefully pulled out intact so that we would have every sensor used. Also, see the special Zionsville Autosport radiator specifically for the S54/Z3, which means it will be perfect for the S54/E36.
    Last edited by Rob Levinson; 10-05-2007 at 02:47 PM.

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Delivering the car to KMS in Ohio:

Ohio weather is very weird. The day the car was delivered was sunny and hot. Barely 10 days later, where's the M3?

We knew the motor fit physically:

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Ceramic-coated long-tube headers... oops, we need longer studs for the thick flange!

To get the DSC from the Z3, the Z3 steering column is required because it has the steering angle sensor built in:

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    REAL simple wiring job, right? Maybe not so much...

My Cars
    A Junky One
    cool swap Rob, must cost a lot in parts and labor!!!

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Neat!
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    95 BMW M3,01 AUDI S4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Levinson View Post
    REAL simple wiring job, right? Maybe not so much...

OMG!

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by Black96m3 View Post
    cool swap Rob, must cost a lot in parts and labor!!!
    The funny thing about this project, like others I have done, is that it was first a concept... and that concept just waiting for the right donor. I waited six years to find a complete wrecked S54 Z3 and grabbed it when the opportunity presented itself. Sad to see one of those get destroyed - but at least that one was a horrible color!

- Rob

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by rao View Post
    Neat!
    ...says the man with twice the displacement in his transplant. Now, I'm not saying I'm jealous or anything like that, but...

- Rob

My Cars
    e30, e46, Super Duty
    Good stuff Rob! Keep us posted!
    1991 e30 318is Slicktop - Gone
    1996 LS1 Z3 - Gone
    99 e46 323i - Gone
    2003 e46 xiT - Hers
    2014 F-250 CC- Mostly stock

The funny thing about this project, like others I have done, is that it was first a concept... and that concept just waiting for the right donor. I waited six years to find a complete wrecked S54 Z3 and grabbed it when the opportunity presented itself. Sad to see one of those get destroyed - but at least that one was a horrible color!

- Rob

Which headers did you go with? I don't recall seeing many "long-tube" headers being available for the s54.

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by 96cosmosM3 View Post
    <caddyshack>

Al Czervik: Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?

[looks at Judge Smails, who's wearing the same hat]

Al Czervik: Oh, it looks good on you though.

</caddyshack>

No offense if you like SmurfBlau, but every time I see that color, I see an opportunity for Avus or Estoril blue sadly missed.

Which headers did you go with? I don't recall seeing many "long-tube" headers being available for the s54.
    Supersprint style... they're considered "long tube" compared to the shorty CSL headers or any E36 headers that would mate to the OE midpipe. Midpipe with custom high-flow cats and rear exhaust are also to be fabricated specifically for this car.

- Rob

My Cars
    95 Avus Blue M3///96 Boston Green 328i
    You plan on fabricating this into kit form later?
    ----Dave----

My Cars
    4 m52s,m50,m20,s52
    So how far are you guys into it now?

Cheif Senior Hitman Engineer 1st Class

BfcOT Mafia

My Cars
    MTree
    Subscribed

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmym3 View Post
    You plan on fabricating this into kit form later?
    I'm not looking at it that way right now - this is simply a project that I personally wanted to do, and of course it's a great showcase for further testing/proving of our E36 performance components.

As far as a "kit", so far the really hard part is a lot of difficult re-wiring and wiring integration between old and new systems. To repeat that is more of an instruction guide than a box of parts.

The midpipe and cat-back could be duplicated. There is still some tuning ahead to dial in the performance and sound.

- Rob

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by M///BMW View Post
    So how far are you guys into it now?
    Aside from completing the exhaust and cleaning up the wiring, it's basically done. Waiting for a new DME to arrive to replace the one that was damaged, due in from Germany in about a week.

- Rob

My Cars
    m3 saloon
    wow, I am definetly subscribed!

My Cars
    The level of work involved in this, even to do it "race car style" like you mentioned, has kept me from doing it 2 years in a row as a winter project. Good luck, Rob & co.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Can a standalone ecu be used just to manage the engine while keeping the e36 DME? Just like when you use both e36 and e46 DME's, but instead replace the role of e46 with the standalone.
    Active Autowerke C38 stage 2 on 95 dakar yellow M3, 30k miles
    .080 mls headgasket, ARP headstuds and obd2 valve retainers; Stewart water pump; Dunlop Z1's on staggered CSL's.

387whp, 296wtrq --- girls dig dakar

My Cars
    E36 x3
    Nice project. Subscribed.

WTB
    : 94 325is M-Technic

-----> Pm me if you have or know of one. <-----

My Cars
    Avus/Black 97 328is
    Very nice. This is cool. I've always wanted to see a very clean S54 swapped E36 M3. This should be good, make sure to post as many pics as possible.
    For Sale, E36
    92-95 Non M Airbag-$50
    21.5# injectors(50k miles)-$60
    Crystal Clear 4 door corners-$20
    Grey 2dr C Pillars covers-$30
    Grey Sunvisors-$30
    Grey Sunroof Motor cover-$10
    Grey Sunroof trim peice-#10

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...d.php?t=566229

BMW Tech Expert
    BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMW and Mercedes
    Quote Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
    Can a standalone ecu be used just to manage the engine while keeping the e36 DME? Just like when you use both e36 and e46 DME's, but instead replace the role of e46 with the standalone.
    Yes, but you would still have most of the same problems... no OBD-II port scan capability (for diagnostics and emissions), no traction control, potential running issues with changing ambient conditions, etc.

Which method is chosen really depends on the intended use of the car. The standalone method is ideal for a true racecar and will deliver more power.

The method I am pursuing is with the goals of a "factory built style" car that runs and drives great with no problems or compromised features... as though BMW had not discontinued the E36 chassis and the development progressed from Euro S50B30, to S50B32, to S54. Sort of an "M3 Evolution II".

- Rob

My Cars
    95 M3
    Yes, but you would still have most of the same problems... no OBD-II port scan capability (for diagnostics and emissions), no traction control, potential running issues with changing ambient conditions, etc.

Which method is chosen really depends on the intended use of the car. The standalone method is ideal for a true racecar and will deliver more power.

The method I am pursuing is with the goals of a "factory built style" car that runs and drives great with no problems or compromised features... as though BMW had not discontinued the E36 chassis and the development progressed from Euro S50B30, to S50B32, to S54. Sort of an "M3 Evolution II".

- Rob
    What if it's an OBD1 m3 to begin with? I guess what I'm getting it is that I had thought using a standalone to manage just the engine would have been the cleanest and simplest solution and I'm just wondering whether it is.

Austin
    Active Autowerke C38 stage 2 on 95 dakar yellow M3, 30k miles
    .080 mls headgasket, ARP headstuds and obd2 valve retainers; Stewart water pump; Dunlop Z1's on staggered CSL's.

387whp, 296wtrq --- girls dig dakar

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast