Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heater core removal - does the heater box have to come off???

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325

Heater core removal - does the heater box have to come off???

I just spent almost 2 hours removing the heater core out of a friend's parts car. It is the same style as mine and it's known good. As easy as it looks, held on only by 3 torx screws, we thought it was a piece of cake. We removed the water valve and upper outlet pipe, then when it comes to sliding the heater core out, it hits the steering column with only about a quarter to a third of the heater core out!! There was absolutely no way it could slide out without either removing the steering column or the heater box!! Well, since he is parting out the car, we ended up taking out the dash and the heater box. It wasn't all that bad, since it was a parts car. But I don't feel like taking everything out to replace my own car. Can someone please advice how or if the heater core can come out with minimal disassembly????

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingches View Post
    I just spent almost 2 hours removing the heater core out of a friend's parts car. It is the same style as mine and it's known good. As easy as it looks, held on only by 3 torx screws, we thought it was a piece of cake. We removed the water valve and upper outlet pipe, then when it comes to sliding the heater core out, it hits the steering column with only about a quarter to a third of the heater core out!! There was absolutely no way it could slide out without either removing the steering column or the heater box!! Well, since he is parting out the car, we ended up taking out the dash and the heater box. It wasn't all that bad, since it was a parts car. But I don't feel like taking everything out to replace my own car. Can someone please advice how or if the heater core can come out with minimal disassembly????
    I didn't have to remove the heater box or the column to do mine. YOu are gonna scuff it a little wiggling it in there but you will likely not hurt it. Mine is still going fine after more than a year later.
    Also, these things are like little radiators, part plastic. You should really cough up the $80 and go new.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    Quote Originally Posted by SWISS View Post
    I didn't have to remove the heater box or the column to do mine. YOu are gonna scuff it a little wiggling it in there but you will likely not hurt it. Mine is still going fine after more than a year later.
    Also, these things are like little radiators, part plastic. You should really cough up the $80 and go new.
    Can you show me where you can get one for $80 new? I would go new if I can find out for sure what the problem is. No one seems to be able to help me with my other threads. I am not sure if it is the water valve, the heater core or what it is. The water valve itself isn't cheap either. I actually bought a new one but it was stolen out of my storage locker last week. If the heater can be taken out without removing the heater box like you said, it is an easy job. So if the heater ever fails again, it's not too hard to replace. For now, I need know how you can wiggle the thing out and in there!! The heater core protrudes maybe 1/3 at best before it hits the steering column, do you try to force it downwards?

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    I just spent an hour trying to remove mine without taking the heater box out. You must be a genius or your heater core did yoga.

I took some photos to show how much the heater core sticks out and in comparison how much has to come out:

My Cars
    1991 318is
    From BMW factory manual:
    heater core.jpg
    Do you have the rear outlet?

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    Can you see the first picture? It is as far as it can come out.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    You know none of these manuals (Bently, Haynes) describe the process of removing heater cores with plastic inlet pipes. I am beginning to think the ones with plastic pipes are positioned different and are wider and longer!!! See the two different pictures on realoem.com They use completely different style heater boxes too:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...21&hg=64&fg=15

Mine has the kind at the bottom. There is absolutely no way to take the heater core out without dropping the heater box or removing the steering column.

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...%3Den%26sa%3DN

How can you remove the steering column?? The bolts that hold the steering column can not be removed. Or is there an easier way to get my heater core out???

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    LOL

Mine is an 89 and looks like the second one. May as well replace the dash if it's cracked since that will be coming out.
    Isn't there two bolt holding the column to the metal support ? If so swing the column down maybe and get the clearance needed.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    I don't feel like ripping everything out. I can't believe I have "the other kind" of heater core. I think the e30s without AC has the kind I have. My friends '90 318i convertible has the same kind, which is where I got the replacement core from. Believe me, I tried everything before we decided to rip out the dash and the heater box.

The 2 bolt you are talking about have been ground off from the factory so there is no way of gripping them. I am thinking about grinding them off and replace them with regular bolts, and if the column swings down like you said I'll be on top of the moon. Can someone confirm??

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    I feel like just cutting out the heater box glue it back together afterwards!!

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    Am I the only one that has ever encountered this problem???

My Cars
    87 330is 87 vert
    Sorry for the jack, butwhen my fan is on 1-3 it makes a squeak noise, its probably the most annoying thing ever. I think its the bearing? any ideas?

Since I hijacked the thread a tad I will take a look at the heater core, and take a few pictures and also look to see if I can move my steering shaft and get back to you!

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    Sounds like it is your blower motor. I don't believe you can replace the bearings unless you can take apart the motor. Maybe you could try to spray some lube on it. Very easy to get to the motor, pop the hood, take off the centre panel and you will see it.

My Cars
    87 330is 87 vert
    Cool thanks, I will take a look at the steering shaft to see if I can move it for ya!

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Greglatta View Post
    Cool thanks, I will take a look at the steering shaft to see if I can move it for ya!
    Thanks! I plan to attempt replacing the heater core again this weekend, hopefully by then I'll hear from someone who's done this before.

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    ahhhhhhhhh.....HEAT!!!!

My Cars
    S52 times 2
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclingches View Post
    ahhhhhhhhh.....HEAT!!!!
    ok so what did you do? cut bolts, remove dash??

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    C-section!!

Not pretty, but I'll post pictures later. I need to have some lunch now....

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    I wasn't going to rip out the dash and removing the steering column is just iffy. So this is what I did:

Took the console out, removed the duct and connector, undid the hoses, loosened the pipes, removed the 3 screws holding the heater core. I tried to look for a way to get it out once more but it's hopeless.

So I did this:

The plastic is real thin and was very easy to cut with a hacksaw blade. I thought I had got it but there was another layer that guides the core so had to cut it too:

Easy, so out comes the core!

Then I simply put the good core in, and bolted everything down. Started the car, made sure it works and no leaks. Got new O-rings for the pipes to core.

I used seam sealer to seal all the gaps, and used aluminum tape to cover everything.

I put everything back on, she still looks good to me:

Yes, it's a hack job but it's not a show car. I am so glad to have heat in the car!!

My Cars
    87 535I
    I wish mine would be as easy as yours was. I have the dash out now.

Mine has AC. So it looks like I will have to discharge my ac to remove that to get to the heater core.

My Cars
    88M3-89M3-91MTech-98528i
    OMG, what a nightmare. i dont blame you for chopping the box to get it out. You may be right about the AC cars because virtually all E30's in the US had AC and the other style core. Changing it is as easy as disconnecting the pipes and just sliding it out.

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Lol at cutting the box ! When I read your first post, I automatically looked at your avatar to check location. I've only seen this kind on cars w/o AC.

Can you do me a HUGE favor and verify if your car has a cabin filter?
    e30 84 340i m6x powered.
    e34 89 535i 5speed - current DD
    e24 89 635csi - maybe a DD?

e34 93 525i (m50tu) - gone
    e39 540i 6spd m-sport - gone
    e53 x5 4.4l - gone
    e30 89 325i (m20) - gone

My Cars
    1987 BMW 325
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf08 View Post
    I wish mine would be as easy as yours was. I have the dash out now.

Mine has AC. So it looks like I will have to discharge my ac to remove that to get to the heater core.

If you have AC, you have it easy. The heater core will slide out.

Quote Originally Posted by 84318i View Post
    Lol at cutting the box ! When I read your first post, I automatically looked at your avatar to check location. I've only seen this kind on cars w/o AC.

Can you do me a HUGE favor and verify if your car has a cabin filter?
    It didn't have a cabin filter, at least I didn't notice one.
    Last edited by cyclingches; 10-16-2009 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    88M3-89M3-91MTech-98528i
    This is the first time seeing detailed pictures of the non AC style setup and the reason why it's hard is because it's much farther back (closer to firewall) than the other style. The entire heater box is different. With the other style the box is right behind that dash brace and floor duct so it doesn't hit the steering column.

Last edited by reelizmpro; 10-16-2009 at 02:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast