Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old do you have to be to work at BMW?

My Cars
    Slow E90 and a Fast E90

How old do you have to be to work at BMW?

I am really wanting to work for them. My uncle is the GSM at BMW in Melbourne, but I can tell he doesn't want me to work there because when i was 17, he said when I turned 18 they would hire me. Im now 19 and still no job there They is a "kid" that drives around cars in the service area and I think he goes to the same HS as my bro.
    Ian

My Cars
    purple ///m3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianbiz View Post
    I am really wanting to work for them. My uncle is the GSM at BMW in Melbourne, but I can tell he doesn't want me to work there because when i was 17, he said when I turned 18 they would hire me. Im now 19 and still no job there They is a "kid" that drives around cars in the service area and I think he goes to the same HS as my bro.

My Cars
    Vehicle
    My friend is 18 and works at a dealer

My Cars
    E30, E36/5, F350
    If you are going to be driving the cars, even around the parking lot, insurance requires you to be 18.

My Cars
    Cayman S
    Quote Originally Posted by HoJo View Post
    If you are going to be driving the cars, even around the parking lot, insurance requires you to be 18.
    We have a pair of 17 year old interns at our dealer that are insured.

My Cars
    '83 320is (v8)
    I used to work at a BMW dealership as a valet/lot porter. I had to be 18. Fun job, but I hate dealerships now after working there.

My Cars
    1991 325i, 2000 323i
    ya you got to be 18, my cuzin wanted to go work there but they said u had to be 18

My Cars
    86 325e Baur, 03 330xi
    theres a new kid at my dealer whos 17, so i guess u gotta be 17. Im 19, so it doesnt apply to me.

My Cars
    X3 3.0

My Cars
    5.0 (s)
    i started at my dealer in LA at 16. still working there. At work right now actually

My Cars
    2006 bmw 325 black on black interior
    u have 2 be 18 in most states. unless you have connections of course...

My Cars
    1997 318is
    There's a BMW plant in South Carolina, near Greenville. Driver's license age USED to be 15; not sure if it still is.

My Cars
    2007 328i, 2004 R1150r
    If you want to drive the cars, you have to be at least 18, with no speeding tickets.

When you're 19, they allow two voilations.

My Cars
    Slow E90 and a Fast E90
    What is a good way to ask if they are hiring.
    Ian

My Cars
    135i
    Quote Originally Posted by vdubkid View Post
    If you want to drive the cars, you have to be at least 18, with no speeding tickets.

When you're 19, they allow two voilations.
    Nope.

At my local dealer, you could be 16-17 (basically, valid DL) and be valet. $10/hr, too, with potential promotional opportunities once you get experience (and age, of course...and probably preferably a bit of a higher-ed experience). Valet people drive cars--and that's it. They have a group of dedicated illegal immigrants (just kidding) to just do washing and detailing.

My friend did this from 16 on and he loved it... not sure if he still does it. But he got to drive some sweet-ass cars, including an Alpina Z8s, E60 M5s, S/C'd E39 M5s, E63 M6s, 335 'verts (when they were fresh off the truck...one of the first to be unloaded on the East Coast, apparently), and virtually every other BMW model ever to have existed. I think he even drove a 3.0 CS (not sure if it was the E9 CSL or just the CS) and a lot of other classics. Why they are being maintained at the dealer is beyond me... the stealer could not even diagnose my former E30's electrical problem. Inept dumbasses charged me 2 hours of labor (@ $125/hr) for literally... nothing. Seems like the lot of them really aren't "enthusiasts" and just keep up on the "latest and greatest." Who cares about the classics, right? Anyway, that's another rant for another time/fread.
    E82 135i: Alpine white on black leather; ZSP; ZCW; iPod/USB
    Previous Bimmers owned (from last to first): E46 M3, E34 540i/6, E30 325iS, E34 525i, E30 318i

My Cars
    2009 135i
    What is a good way to ask if they are hiring.

ask if they are hiring

National Capital Chapter BMW CCA #367673

My Cars
    2007 328i, 2004 R1150r
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoes View Post
    Nope.

At my local dealer, you could be 16-17 (basically, valid DL) and be valet. $10/hr, too, with potential promotional opportunities once you get experience (and age, of course...and probably preferably a bit of a higher-ed experience). Valet people drive cars--and that's it. They have a group of dedicated illegal immigrants (just kidding) to just do washing and detailing.

My friend did this from 16 on and he loved it... not sure if he still does it. But he got to drive some sweet-ass cars, including an Alpina Z8s, E60 M5s, S/C'd E39 M5s, E63 M6s, 335 'verts (when they were fresh off the truck...one of the first to be unloaded on the East Coast, apparently), and virtually every other BMW model ever to have existed. I think he even drove a 3.0 CS (not sure if it was the E9 CSL or just the CS) and a lot of other classics. Why they are being maintained at the dealer is beyond me... the stealer could not even diagnose my former E30's electrical problem. Inept dumbasses charged me 2 hours of labor (@ $125/hr) for literally... nothing. Seems like the lot of them really aren't "enthusiasts" and just keep up on the "latest and greatest." Who cares about the classics, right? Anyway, that's another rant for another time/fread.
    Ah, well that's how the dealer at which I work. Mine's owned by UnitedAuto, so they probably handle things differently.

But it is mind blowing how many different cars one gets to drive. I got to drive e34-e60 M5s, M3s, M6s, 335s, and one 850csi. That was sexy.

My Cars
    Slow
    I'm 17 and I work as a valet/lot personnel

My Cars
    2004 Jaaaaaag
    Whats the issue with the speeding tickets? What if you possibly have 1 and your 18? anyone? You think you would still get the job?
    E34 525i
    03 Aprilia RSV-R
    98' Honda Superhawk 996

79' YAMAHA XS650 SPECIAL CAFE RACER

(GONE BUT NOT FORGTOTTEN)
    2004 JAGUAR X-TYPE
    2G ECLIPSE
    HONDA CBR 600
    MAZDA 626
    CALYPSO BMW 325I : ANSA EXHAUST : 17" CSL REPS : LPD STRIP : 15% TINT : K & N AIR FILTER : TINTED AMBERS : BLACK BMW ROUNDELS : SMOKED TAILS : BLACKOUT GRILLE : CF B & C PILLARS : CF E-BRAKE : SUEDE HEADLINER : INSIGNIA 1000W AMP : 12" KENWOOD KICKER : KENWOOD HEADUNIT : APEXCONE 10,000K HID : PREDATOR CHROMIUM

My Cars
    135i
    Quote Originally Posted by bbancsov View Post
    Whats the issue with the speeding tickets? What if you possibly have 1 and your 18? anyone? You think you would still get the job?
    Depends on the circumstances. I was told by the SM at my local dealer that "it depends." It is entirely up to the insurance underwriters... if you really want to know, find out who your local dealer (or their parent company, whichever the case may be) is insured by, and call them. Of course, this is all moot if your dealer has an explicit policy against hiring people with speeding tickets, but they usually leave it up to their insurance co. to decide since it really doesn't matter to them, per se. My dealer's employment application for service personnel asks you if you've been convicted of traffic violations as well as crimes, but doesn't go into specifics... until they ask for your DL # and do a BG check a few days later.
    Previous Bimmers owned (from last to first): E46 M3, E34 540i/6, E30 325iS, E34 525i, E30 318i

My Cars
    driveway.jpg
    I want to go appply at some point.. unfortunately, the dealership is about 30 mins away.

Kindof OT, but im really looking forward to taking my car to the dealership once my swap is done.. Im going to play dumb and ask for an oil change..
    theyll be like wtf....

My Cars
    Coming soon.
    I called my dealer, and they'd hire me as a valet...

...But I don't have that little peice of plastic that cops ask to see along with your registration....so thats out the window for the time being.

My Cars
    German Civic
    Around here, you can be a lot porter (valet) at 18. Need a clean driving record, though.

They won't hire you in sales unless you're at least 21, regardless of experience (I've known people who worked sales at Honda, Hyundai, Mitsubishi and elsewhere at 18-19).

Seems to be dealership discretion.

My Cars
    95 M3, 2017 Tacoma
    I'm 17 and work at a dealership in the prep center.

Schrick | AST | Vorshlag | CCW | Cobra | Kirk | OMP | Motion Motorsport

My Cars
    135i
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyxMidget View Post
    I'm 17 and work at a dealership in the prep center.
    You mean all that cosmoline and shiaat? I thought that stuff was toxic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast