Thread: passenger side low beam doesn't turn on sometimes, I have HID's ??

My Cars
    99' Fern Green M3

passenger side low beam doesn't turn on sometimes, I have HID's ??

Recently I started having a problem with my passenger side low beam. The light just doesn't turn on sometimes when I turn on my headlight switch. Sometimes I just turn the switch on and off multiple times and it'll turn on, but sometimes they don't turn on at all, and other times, they just come on after having the headlight swtich turned on for a while without touching it.

I have HID's installed, I know for a fact it's not the HID's fault because I've switched them back and forth and they work fine on the drivers side, so i'm assuming it's something else with the actual wiring or maybe not enough voltage? Also I get a low beam failure on my OBC. So has anyone else had this problem? I don't know where to go from here so i'd appreciate any help. Thanks

My Cars
    01 LSB M3 Coupe
    I have had the same problem but with my driver's side low beam light. It has only happened like 4-5 times so far, but it is starting to get on my nerves. I also have HIDs installed but never get a LBF, due to the fact that i disabled it. I am going to be going with new HIDs soon, so if i find something i'll let you know.
    -Matt

My Cars
    99' Fern Green M3
    Quote Originally Posted by enzof355f430 View Post
    I have had the same problem but with my driver's side low beam light. It has only happened like 4-5 times so far, but it is starting to get on my nerves. I also have HIDs installed but never get a LBF, due to the fact that i disabled it. I am going to be going with new HIDs soon, so if i find something i'll let you know.
    -Matt
    Cool thanks, well I can tell you that might not solve the problem, it started happening a while ago when I had a different set of HID's, then I switched those HID's for a new set, and it started happening again a few days later with the new kit also.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Add me to this list 'cause I have the same problem. My passenger sometimes doesn't turn and get a LBF. ?????
    Racecar: 1992 Civic SI ITA/H4 (SEDIV #24)
    Co-Owner: Design Garage, LLC for all your tshirt screen printing needs
    Good Guys: IPGParts.com - LAMIN-X Protective Films - Koni - Discount Tire 407.275.8133 - CW Pence Rebuilders 407.831.8197

My Cars
    99' Fern Green M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Richy Gonzalez View Post
    Add me to this list 'cause I have the same problem. My passenger sometimes doesn't turn and get a LBF. ?????
    Alright, I found the issue with mine. Traced it to be the 9006/9005 adapter plugs in which the pins were worn out and in one, the cable was coming off also. So I cut the bad plugs off and put in some better shaped ones, and voila, the lights turn on all the time perfectly. however, I'm still getting a low beam failure on the obc, so I have to check that out now

My Cars
    97 Arctic Silver-Dove ///M3
    Kinda sounds like the issue I had. Crap in the relay. Replace it with a cheap autozone one, or you can try to clean it out, but dont hit the windings on the inductor. Then electrical tape the crap out of them so it doesnt happen again!!!
    What happens is that there is so much stuff in there that the relay can't be thrown, so the power never gets to the ballast, and the light doesn't ignite. Sometimes if you hit a bump with the switch on, it will help the relay out enough to get through the crap.... just my $0.02.

|AST4100 w/ Vorshlag CC Plates|UUC Sways|X-Brace|255/40/17 NT01s|M50 Manifold|Dinan Software|PF FCABs|UUC RTABs|UUC Subframe Bushings|Hawk HP+|Stewart's H20 Pump|Mech Fan Del. with SPAL puller|TFX retrofit w/ E46 shrouds|AFE Intake|APEX ARC8 17x9|VM Swaybar endlinks|CDV Delete|Subframe Plates|Poly Diff Bushings|
    97 M3 Coupe
    06 E90 330xi
    02 X5 4.4
    93 325i SOLD

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmer213 View Post
    Alright, I found the issue with mine. Traced it to be the 9006/9005 adapter plugs in which the pins were worn out and in one, the cable was coming off also.
    Mine had the same issue. Even lightly touching the plug and play connector would make it come on. I was just able to open it and bend the pin for a tighter fit.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    1976 2002 & 1996 ///M3/2.5CSiTurboLOLZ
    I had the same shit after a rainy or windy day, just corrosion in my connectors - went away once it got sunny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    Mine had the same issue. Even lightly touching the plug and play connector would make it come on. I was just able to open it and bend the pin for a tighter fit.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    9/10 times electrical issues can be traced to bad connections.
    Something many people forget or ignore.