Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: E39 V8 over I6 Pros and cons

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

E39 V8 over I6 Pros and cons

Just wondering what the positive and negatives are on these engines in a nutshell...

My Cars
    06 E90 330i sp 6MT
    pros
    -"powa, powa and mo' powa" tiff needle
    cons
    -reliability
    -gas mileage i guess.
    - oh and steering system (recic. ball on v8 vs rack and pinion on i6)
    - loss of sweet bmw i6 sound
    '06 330i e90, 6MT, Sport, Premium, Winter, (AND FOLD DOWN REAR SEATS!!!) wohoo
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    97 540i & 98 Jeep GC
    I'm not sure "loss of sweet bmw i6 sound" counts as a con if its being replaced by a "sweet bmw v8 sound"
    Oxrageous: but you have a low intelligence level
    Oxrageous: no offense

My Cars
    2013 X3 35i MSport
    The V8 also isn't really any less reliable, though it can be more costly to maintain because of the extra stuff. More oil, more spark plugs, etc. Also the recirculating ball steering is not really a con, it's just as good as the rack and pinion - just different.

I would say:

Pros: Torque, not being impressed by the straight-line performance of an E36 M3 anymore
    Cons: Gas mileage, slightly more expensive to maintain

My Cars
    E39
    The 540 and M5 were the first V8 's BMW ever built I think...

If you have the I6, you own part of a very long line of refined engines.

My Cars
    2013 X3 35i MSport
    E34 530? E32 730 and 740? E34 540? BMW has been making V8's for a long time, and while they make a great I6 they also have their V8's down pretty good too.

My Cars
    E39 528i Sport
    BMW V8s are quite a bit more expensive to maintain, and it is not just extra fluids and spark plugs. Examples from personal experience:

Water pump:
    I6: $250 V8: $750

Valve cover gaskets:
    I6: $125 V8: $500

MAF replacement:
    I6: $315 V8: $400

Cat(s):
    I6: $1200 V8: $2500

Intake manifold gaskets:
    I6: never V8: always and forever ($$)

I try to talk myself into swapping to a 540i every once in a while because the power is just so impressive, but it's the little things that keep me with the I6:
    The sewing machine smoothness and the sing-song note from the motor. The V8 is fairly indistuinguished to me, though an exhaust might change that.
    I also love the linear feel of the rack and pinion steering. The rolling ball is noticeably dead on center, and less connected-feeling.

So, I conclude: V8: power!! and a throaty exhaust note with a quality exhaust. I6: everything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by ohnoes View Post
    I admit when I'm wrong, which is pretty rarely.

My Cars
    87 325is
    And don't forget that the 540's are known to eat radiatiors and expansion tanks fairly regularly (maybe every 60k?).
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    1997 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by racermp View Post
    pros
    -"powa, powa and mo' powa" tiff needle
    cons
    -reliability
    -gas mileage i guess.
    - oh and steering system (recic. ball on v8 vs rack and pinion on i6)
    - loss of sweet bmw i6 sound
    Powa -yes
    Reliability - maybe (but not bad at all)
    Gas Mileage - no doubt, I6 wins this
    Steering - Recirculating ball steering is not bad!!!! Its always I6 drivers that complain about it, not the people that actually drive a 540.
    Loss of I6 sound - Don't really understand how the M62 sound could ever be a downgrade from a 6 cylinder.
    1997 BMW 540iA (SOLD)
    1991 Toyota Pickup V6 4x4

My Cars
    99 BMW 540IA Sport/00 Camaro SS
    i know this is gonna sound derkish but i have 2 v8s and i honestly wouldnt trade the torque for anything in the world.. just blip the throttle and u get pushed into ur seat... greatest feeling EVAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! even tho the throttle response is miles greater in the 540 than the SS i still love hammering down the SS cuz it really throws u into ur seat but honestly its all about personal preference and financial situation.. i wanted the 540 cuz its fast and its fun and thats what i wanted from my 5 now obviously there must be a downside and there is.. poor gas mileage as was said earlier, a bit more expensive parts for fixing.. but ive had this car for almost a year and the most expensive thing i changed on it was the battery.. 160 CAD.. u gotta watch how previous owners take care of their cars.. mine has every single service record anything that has been done to this car has been documented i made damn well sure of that... the cooling system has been replaced along with the PDC and a couple other things but these were all covered under warranty.. now its not like you cant have fun wiht a 6 cylinder in fact the 528 will deal a fair amount of the crap u see on the road so really it all comes down to what you want and can afford... if you like the v8 by all means go for it .. its a great engine and believe me on this the sound can be just as nice as the I6, you just have to understand by buying the car you will be spending more in gas and parts.. if you're willing to live with that you will find the V8 is one of the most fun and reliable engines that BMW has done.

My Cars
    95 M3, 83 MBZ 300D
    No one mentioning the problems with the Nickasil lined engine blocks? Or was this only in E34's?

My Cars
    99 BMW 540IA Sport/00 Camaro SS
    well the thread title is E39 v8 over I6 pros and cons

My Cars
    2011 BMW 750i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by sirius600 View Post
    No one mentioning the problems with the Nickasil lined engine blocks? Or was this only in E34's?
    That was only a E34 problem and it was fixed in the later E34's. That problem was put to bed before the E39's even came off the production line.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 750i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Cacatfish View Post
    BMW V8s are quite a bit more expensive to maintain, and it is not just extra fluids and spark plugs. Examples from personal experience:

Water pump:
    I6: $250 V8: $750

Valve cover gaskets:
    I6: $125 V8: $500

MAF replacement:
    I6: $315 V8: $400

Cat(s):
    I6: $1200 V8: $2500

Intake manifold gaskets:
    I6: never V8: always and forever ($$)

I try to talk myself into swapping to a 540i every once in a while because the power is just so impressive, but it's the little things that keep me with the I6:
    The sewing machine smoothness and the sing-song note from the motor. The V8 is fairly indistuinguished to me, though an exhaust might change that.
    I also love the linear feel of the rack and pinion steering. The rolling ball is noticeably dead on center, and less connected-feeling.

So, I conclude: V8: power!! and a throaty exhaust note with a quality exhaust. I6: everything else.
    If you paid $750 to replace a waterpump you got taken for quite a ride. I hope it was fun!!!!!

My Cars
    2013 X3 35i MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by thejlevie View Post
    And don't forget that the 540's are known to eat radiatiors and expansion tanks fairly regularly (maybe every 60k?).
    The cooling system in the I6 isn't exactly bullet proof either.

Anyone else notice it's a lot of the I6 guys talking about all these really expensive and bad things about the V8's?

I hear those Ferraries are a real bitch to maintain and aren't reliable at all. I'd never want one, I'll stick with my Honda. It will never let me down!

Just sayin'...

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortec4800 View Post

Anyone else notice it's a lot of the I6 guys talking about all these really expensive and bad things about the V8's?

I hear those Ferraries are a real bitch to maintain and aren't reliable at all. I'd never want one, I'll stick with my Honda. It will never let me down!

Just sayin'...
    Ummmm, a 540 is the very next step up from a 528/530. A Ferrari is leaps and bounds from even the best Honda has to offer. The very reason I own a 528 is because I wanted a 5er, I originally wanted the 540 but I couldn't find one that wasn't thrashed and I had to re-think if I wanted to settle for less milage and higher maint. costs. I decided on the 528 for that reason. Sometimes I wish I had just a little more hp/tq, but that always passes and I'm happy. There are other threads like this. Each car is for a specific person, or we'd all have M5's. I could upgrade to the 540 today. But I'm jumping ship into a G35.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfdawg View Post
    Live the Yuppie life, drive the Yuppie car, pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, but like to pose as a Yuppie? Pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, don't make the Yuppie income, but like the Yuppie car? Be quiet and learn to get your hands dirty.

My Cars
    2013 X3 35i MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by mookish View Post
    Ummmm, a 540 is the very next step up from a 528/530. A Ferrari is leaps and bounds from even the best Honda has to offer. The very reason I own a 528 is because I wanted a 5er, I originally wanted the 540 but I couldn't find one that wasn't thrashed and I had to re-think if I wanted to settle for less milage and higher maint. costs. I decided on the 528 for that reason. Sometimes I wish I had just a little more hp/tq, but that always passes and I'm happy. There are other threads like this. Each car is for a specific person, or we'd all have M5's. I could upgrade to the 540 today. But I'm jumping ship into a G35.
    Naturally that was an exaggeration for a point, same effect to a different degree. All people have different models for different reasons, that's totally fine. Some people wanted better gas mileage, some people don't care about the power, some people couldn't afford the 540 or M5. I get that. It's when people try to justify their purchases with reasons that aren't really true that gets me. All the I6 guys telling me my V8 is horribly expensive to maintain and not reliable at all, when clearly that is not the case using my own personal experience (and I actually have personal experience with the 540, unlike many people claiming things in this and other threads like this) as a background. That's it.

And I've driven and investigated the G35 and I'm not sure why anybody would want one of those cheaply-made cars, but that's another debate for another day.

My Cars
    1999 m3 convertible 5spd
    New guy here.....I just picked up an 03 525it for my wife. I drive a e39m5. I have driven bmw's for about twenty years, turn the wrenches myself. I test drove the 540it. Nice car. Just didnt think it was needed for routine errands and kid hauling. Plus we were trying to get a little better fuel economy over the Suburban. I really like the way the 525 runs, smooth, consistent, and light. As for the steering I found it a bit heavy, but, the tires really need replacing. Maybe I am just used to the m5, which I initially hated. It has more of the bmw feel I remember from years past (pre v8 cars) I owned. In all two different motors for two different purposes. I dont think they are comparable. I hate to say it, but, I find myself jumping in the 525 for a quick errand. Fun.

As for maintenance, I think the 525 will be a bit easier on the wallet, than the s62 or other v8's.

My Cars
    2013 X3 35i MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by emccallum View Post
    New guy here.....I just picked up an 03 525it for my wife. I drive a e39m5. I have driven bmw's for about twenty years, turn the wrenches myself. I test drove the 540it. Nice car. Just didnt think it was needed for routine errands and kid hauling. Plus we were trying to get a little better fuel economy over the Suburban. I really like the way the 525 runs, smooth, consistent, and light. As for the steering I found it a bit heavy, but, the tires really need replacing. Maybe I am just used to the m5, which I initially hated. It has more of the bmw feel I remember from years past (pre v8 cars) I owned. In all two different motors for two different purposes. I dont think they are comparable. I hate to say it, but, I find myself jumping in the 525 for a quick errand. Fun.

As for maintenance, I think the 525 will be a bit easier on the wallet, than the s62 or other v8's.
    Now these are good, valid reasons to get the I6 over the V8. The I6 engines will be a bit easier on the wallet, especially over the S62 - but it's not by a huge margin like some suggest.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Naturally that was an exaggeration for a point, same effect to a different degree. All people have different models for different reasons, that's totally fine. Some people wanted better gas mileage, some people don't care about the power, some people couldn't afford the 540 or M5. I get that. It's when people try to justify their purchases with reasons that aren't really true that gets me. All the I6 guys telling me my V8 is horribly expensive to maintain and not reliable at all, when clearly that is not the case using my own personal experience (and I actually have personal experience with the 540, unlike many people claiming things in this and other threads like this) as a background. That's it.

And I've driven and investigated the G35 and I'm not sure why anybody would want one of those cheaply-made cars, but that's another debate for another day.
    I'll just say it's "more expensive", and to someone that doesn't do their own work, that could be a dealbreaker, having to go to the stealer for everything for an older car that is bound to need maint soon. Now as for the G35, I'd trade my nicely made '98 528i for a cheaply made 2003 G35 anyday. Again, it's what I want. And that's the problem here, people get caught up telling others what they should drive or looks good based on the they like. Are there more powerful cars or better cars out there? Sure, for the money I spend on a 2003/4 G35, I could eaisly get an eairler M5, but I don't want one. So there will always be those who say, my car is faster than yours, or cost more, or has two extra cylinders or that I only got what I have because I couldn't afford what they have. Fine. You win. Or do you?

Quote Originally Posted by smurfdawg View Post
    Live the Yuppie life, drive the Yuppie car, pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, but like to pose as a Yuppie? Pay the Yuppie price.
    Don't live the Yuppie life, don't make the Yuppie income, but like the Yuppie car? Be quiet and learn to get your hands dirty.

My Cars
    Drat

Just sayin'...
    I wonder what the V10 guys argue about.

My Cars
    97 540i & 98 Jeep GC
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketwagon View Post
    I wonder what the V10 guys argue about.

Their stock portfolios

My Cars
    2013 X3 35i MSport
    Quote Originally Posted by mookish View Post
    I'll just say it's "more expensive", and to someone that doesn't do their own work, that could be a dealbreaker, having to go to the stealer for everything for an older car that is bound to need maint soon. Now as for the G35, I'd trade my nicely made '98 528i for a cheaply made 2003 G35 anyday. Again, it's what I want. And that's the problem here, people get caught up telling others what they should drive or looks good based on the they like. Are there more powerful cars or better cars out there? Sure, for the money I spend on a 2003/4 G35, I could eaisly get an eairler M5, but I don't want one. So there will always be those who say, my car is faster than yours, or cost more, or has two extra cylinders or that I only got what I have because I couldn't afford what they have. Fine. You win. Or do you?
    I never said anything about what you should or shouldn't drive, I just said I didn't understand it.

I'm also not saying that the 540 is superior than the 528/530, only different. Like you said some people want different things than others, and for them the 530 is better. For others the 540 is better. But in a general sense one is not better than the other. Only different.

My Cars
    Drat
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavone View Post
    Their stock portfolios
    Yeah? You think the 760 guys pick on the M5 guys, or the other way around?

My Cars
    97 540i & 98 Jeep GC
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketwagon View Post
    Yeah? You think the 760 guys pick on the M5 guys, or the other way around?

Hmmm... Now THAT is a toughie lol

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast