Thread: Headlight fuse location help

My Cars
    bmw

Headlight fuse location help

Guys i replace my headlight with 100W bulbs, now i need to upgrade the fuse , anyone knows where the fuse is located and what numbers they are.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Open the glove box and there'll be two tabs on the ceiling of it. turn those and the fuse box pops down. There should be a white card in there that tells you which fuse is which is a little slot at the bottom of the fuse box.

My Cars
    '00 330Ci, '07 350Z
    Why do you need to upgrade the fuse? If the fuse wasnt the correct value wouldn't it have blown as soon as you switched on your headlights? Or am i totally wrong?

I ask cause ive just upgraded to 100w bulbs myself and worried about potential problems.
    E46 330Ci: Umnitza P46 Headlights + Custom LED Halos; Eagle Eye smoked taillights; LEDs fogs; M3 bonnet conversion; M-Sport Front & Rear bumper; Replica M3 mirrors: Rear lip spoiler; Carbon fibre strut brace; Aluminium rear strut brace; H&R Sway Bars; LSD 3.15 ratio; F30 front & rear Brembo BBK conversion; ECU Remap; F32 Front Seats; GROM Audio

My Cars
    Subaru WRX
    Dude...that fuse was a certain rating for a reason...popping a fuse is a sign...not a sign to upgrade the fuse...lol....

Maybe this mod was tested safe by others...but if you are popping your OEM fuse with those lights...I would remove them asap. The OEM fuse was set to its rating to protect the rest of the car...moving up in the fuse rating is putting a higher load than BMW expected on the wiring....

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    You just have to find out how many amps your new headlights require and install the appropriate fuse. The 100 watt headlights shouldn't draw much more amperage than the 55's, though. You may have to install a 25 or 30 amp fuse instead of a 20. And that small of a difference from the original OEM fuse won't make an appreciable difference as far as the wiring is concerned.

My Cars
    Subaru WRX
    Watts = Amps * Volts

100w = 12V*XAmps

x=8.3 amps.

The original 55 Watt bulbs should be drawing around 4.6 Amps.

So its almost twice the OEM current draw.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    So the original fuse should cover it. If it's a 20A fuse like I'm thinking it is.

My Cars
    01 E36/8
    Does anyone know where the headlight fuse is for a 2003 325i. I looked in the glove box fuse location and it's not there. thanx
    01 M S54 Estoril Coupe (Fun)16 Mini Clubman S(Daily)03 325i (Wifes Car)Your never further away from oblivion than a distracted soccer mom in a SUV.

My Cars
    98m395m30032394318ic
    Just wire them straight to the battery. No fuse... Just kidding DO NOT DO THAT!. But methinks 20amps should cover the 8 or 9 amps those'll draw. If it blows something's wrong.. or maybe I am?
    Please feel free to correct me anyone...
    93 e36 vert / 95 E36 M3 Alpine / 98 M3/4 Estoril / 00 '46 Frankenbimmer CI , 68s / shark tooth injected driver bolster with slimline low gloss duct tape / angled front pass kidney grill with custom eject hood release / EE LEDs moisture sealed/ Pep Boys silicone / Google sky point OEM HIDs with glovebox leveling arm after wishbone install / custom BMW round pin diagnostic to USB cabin routed laptop with INPA for constant CE light delete / sock modded / t-shirt mod / clicking sound.

My Cars
    01 E36/8
    Quote Originally Posted by chefsboss View Post
    Just wire them straight to the battery. No fuse... Just kidding DO NOT DO THAT!. But methinks 20amps should cover the 8 or 9 amps those'll draw. If it blows something's wrong.. or maybe I am?
    Please feel free to correct me anyone...
    San Antonio. Cool I was stationed at Kelly AFB in the 80's. Roger that on the amps. I looked in the fuses in the glove box and only find lighting control fuse. I know there are dedicated headlight fuses. I just can't find them. Any ideas on where to look?

Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Open the glove box and there'll be two tabs on the ceiling of it. turn those and the fuse box pops down. There should be a white card in there that tells you which fuse is which is a little slot at the bottom of the fuse box.
    Found plenty of fuses unfortunately the headlight fuses are not there in my car.
    Last edited by 01MCoupe; 12-08-2009 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    01 M S54 Estoril Coupe (Fun)16 Mini Clubman S(Daily)03 325i (Wifes Car)Your never further away from oblivion than a distracted soccer mom in a SUV.

My Cars
    bmw e36 320i
    hi i try to find the headlight fuse i can't find it cuz i chenge the light for hid can u help me plazzzzzz

hi do you know were i can find the fuse bmw e46 318i 03 model????? for the headlight????
    Last edited by fantastice36; 03-15-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Bmw 116
    Hi does anyone know which fuse is for 2005 e87 headlight I struggle to find it thanks

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Do you love your E46? Then do not install 100w light bulbs!! Why? The wiring for the headlamps will NOT handle that amount of power. PERIOD. BMW engineers design the wiring harness to handle a specific amount of power, as measured in watts. Why? Cost and weight. The culprit is the current, as measured in amps. That is watts=voltage x amps. The factory bulbs are 55 watts if memory serves me. That means the wiring is designed to handled ~4.6 amps per bulb. 100w bulbs will require the wiring to handle more than 8 amps. That’s an 80% increase in current. Can you say electrical fire?

Secondly, the headlamp bowls will melt from the heat.