Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I buy a high mileage BMW?

My Cars
    e39 Touring

Should I buy a high mileage BMW?

I have a friend who will sell me their 1993 325is cheap. Has approx. 230,000 miles - passed NJ inspection. Looks clean.

Any words of advice before I jump?

My Cars
    1987 535(sound provided by Byzanz)
    If the price is right do it, get it checked out first but if it has a year of inspoection why not...it really depends on how cheap it is. The car I just bought had 179,000 on the clock and I already got it up to 180,00, drove it 100+ miles without a hiccup.

My Cars
    97 e36, 86 e30, 88 924S
    If it is cheap, sure. Get it checked out if you can. Do a compression test, look at all the suspension bushings and ball joints, and wheel bearings. Is it auto? How does it shift? Does it leak or look wet underneath? Just plan on having to repaire something soon. Good luck.

My Cars
    98 540i Sport

high mileage

I gave my son-in-law my 88 735i two years ago. Now he has 222,000 miles on and it is running fine.

It's not just the engine to be concerned with, but all the moving parts.
    interior door handles, window cranks/motors, sunroof, AC,. Suspension and exhaust can be expensive.

If it was well cared for, you can try to get another 100k miles.

That was good advise about the right price. You know a dealer would not really give anything for it on a trade in.

Good luck,
    Colby

My Cars
    R53
    M50s are pretty much bulletproof. if the car has been taken care of, and the price is right, u should be fine.

My Cars
    98 M3/4
    High mileage is kind of an understatement.

Our e28 535i was bought in 87 and used as a daily driver even still to today. Has an excess of 250mi's(odometer stopped at around 200 several years ago).

Things to look out for are old radiators, waterpumps, cooling system, electronics, and power steering.

My Cars
    Fast s30 Z / Slow e92 M3
    check the service records, if it had all the problem parts replaced, ie timing belts, radiators, pumps then it should be good to go.

My Cars
    95 Cosmos M3...
    What are they asking for it?

My Cars
    tank
    how cheap is cheap?
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

My Cars
    bmw
    stay away, high mileage bmws (or any cars outside the toyota family for that matter) are very mingy indeed. Spend a bit more & get one with lower kms that's been looked after, otherwise you'll just end up with an endless money pit... and bmw parts are not cheap

My Cars
    tank
    Quote Originally Posted by silas View Post
    stay away, high mileage bmws (or any cars outside the toyota family for that matter) are very mingy indeed. Spend a bit more & get one with lower kms that's been looked after, otherwise you'll just end up with an endless money pit... and bmw parts are not cheap
    I personally would buy a 150k mile car that is been maintained to death by an enthusiasts vs a car that is 75k abused miles that is approaching some scary maint. bills at big scheduled maint. routine.
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

My Cars
    bmw
    Quote Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
    I personally would buy a 150k mile car that is been maintained to death by an enthusiasts vs a car that is 75k abused miles that is approaching some scary maint. bills at big scheduled maint. routine.
    True, but I'd personally run from anything with 200,000+ miles. Unless it's a rare sports car or has some special personal meaning to you, I really don't think it's worth the trouble.

My Cars
    tank
    True, but I'd personally run from anything with 200,000+ miles. Unless it's a rare sports car or has some special personal meaning to you, I really don't think it's worth the trouble.
    he did say cheap...how about if it was $100 and he was a DIYer?

My Cars
    bmw
    Nothing is cheap or free, and he'll find out what I mean the first time he takes it into the shop.

By all means tho, it's not my money so who am I to say?

My Cars
    '91 535im, '86 528e, '86 325es
    I'd personally run from anyone with 8 posts and clearly talking out of his ass.

My Cars
    tank
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Metal View Post

My Cars
    bmw
    SO intelligence is based on # of points? Then what's your excuse?

My Cars
    SO intelligence is based on # of points? Then what's your excuse?
    It has nothing to do with intelligence, but rather wisdom and experience. Here is what you have presented me with:

1) You had 8 posts at the time of your comment.

2) You have NO specific car listed in your profile, so we don't even know if you own one.

3) Your post regarding high mileage BMW's was an out-of-ass generalization that can be easily countered by thousands of BMW owners on this board who have taken their BMW's into the 300K - 400K territory, including myself. I had an e21 with 309K, an e30 with 240K, and currently have an e28 with 290K and an e34 with 140K. My neighbor down the street has an e28 with 413K! All these cars ran/run like new - just with rudimentary maintenance and replacement of consumable parts. It is true that maintenace on these cars is more expensive than on a Toyota or Honda, end even though I've seen high mileage Toyotas and Honda's, I've never seen a 20 year old example of those cars that FELT as solid as a BMW of that age.

My Cars
    bmw

1) You had 8 posts at the time of your comment.
    Would it have made a difference if I had 8,000 posts?

2) You have NO specific car listed in your profile, so we don't even know if you own one.
    Again, how is that relevant? Only those who have cars listed in their profiles are knowleadgable about them?

3) Your post regarding high mileage BMW's was an out-of-ass generalization that can be easily countered by thousands of BMW owners on this board who have taken their BMW's into the 300K - 400K territory, including myself.
    Sure, there are exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking, I would stay away from any car (not just bmw) with 230,000 miles. Why? Because chances are it had multiple owners, service records are most likely inconsistent and who knows what the car has been through.

I'm not saying junk your car the second it hits 200K, but lets face it cars don't last forever and bmw's are very expensive to fix.

My Cars
    135i
    Sure, there are exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking, I would stay away from any car (not just bmw) with 230,000 miles. Why? Because chances are it had multiple owners, service records are most likely inconsistent and who knows what the car has been through.

I'm not saying junk your car the second it hits 200K, but lets face it cars don't last forever and bmw's are very expensive to fix.
    It's all about the maintenance history of the car in question. If it has been thoroughly and well-maintained for the entirety of its life, then it really isn't an issue. If, however, it was abandoned, treated like sh**, owned by a 16-year-old (even though I am one, I acknowledge that some of my peers don't take the best care of their cars and drive 'em especially hard), driven mostly or significantly in the city, just not maintained very well, or any combination thereof, I would pass. In that case, you are just asking for trouble.

To the OP, I would definitely look into the maintenance and ownership history of the car. It might be hard to track down, but if your friend has receipts, then all the better. Otherwise, I might be inclined to pass.
    E82 135i: Alpine white on black leather; ZSP; ZCW; iPod/USB
    Previous Bimmers owned (from last to first): E46 M3, E34 540i/6, E30 325iS, E34 525i, E30 318i

My Cars
    E30, E36
    ding ding ding..... FIGHT

"Hanging from the nutsack of Treehouse Racing" - Rob C.

My Cars
    E30, E36
    ive seen a ton of bimmers with high ass miles as well. its stupid stuff that looks and goes wrong. Had a friend that owned an 84 325 (i think) but anyways... she had 460k miles on it. The windshield wipers didnt work but the paint looked awesome and it started everytime her ass sat down in it. the A/c even still worked. how bout them apples?

My Cars
    E30, E36
    not to mention i just sold a 94 honda accord with 260k on it, i mainted it for over 100k miles. i still fetched 2k $ for it and dude thought it was a deal. It goes to show, quality cars that get quality maintenance give you quality performance. Period.

My Cars
    Would it have made a difference if I had 8,000 posts?

Again, how is that relevant? Only those who have cars listed in their profiles are knowleadgable about them?

Look, silas. We got off on the wrong foot. You said something that I don't entirely agree with and the manner in which you said it left you open for a cheap shot to your ego - the whole "I'd run away" quote. I just couldn't resist because I'm a smart ass. Your point is noted. I'm sure you know more than I gave you credit for.

My Cars
    bmw
    Look, silas. We got off on the wrong foot. You said something that I don't entirely agree with and the manner in which you said it left you open for a cheap shot to your ego - the whole "I'd run away" quote. I just couldn't resist because I'm a smart ass. Your point is noted. I'm sure you know more than I gave you credit for.
    Yeah, Im just saying unless you know the person & car well, I'd not buy a car with that kinda mileage. No disrespect to those running high miles or anything, I hope mine reaches that mark someday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast