Thread: Headlight Removal

My Cars
    BMW 328i

Headlight Removal

I need to remove the headlights in my z3 and i don't know how. Any write ups on doing this??

My Cars
    1997 Alpine White M3
    There are 3-4 hex bolts holding down each of the headlights. In the panel above the headlight, there are access holes where you can see the hex bolts.

(piece #14)

To reach them, you need a socket wrench and socket extender. The size of the bolts are 11mm I believe, but I don't really remember. Try a bunch.

After that, the headlights are only held by the bulbs and wiring still attached. You can twist the holders for the lowbeam, highbeam, and turn signal counterclockwise (i think) to unhook them.

(piece 4/5 and another similar cap for the turnsignal not pictured)

That should be it. Good luck

My Cars
    z3
    Hey guys, i'm about to change my headlights for LHD headlights.

Just recieved the LHD lights and they have some random red and black wires on the bottom with bare ends (no connectors) what could these be for?

Thanks

Seb

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Not sure what LHD headlights are, but the eBay headlights have a small bulb below the high beam (city lights)
    Kelvin

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Universally, Left Hand Drive. Only thing I can think of, would be the "leveling" motors used in European hdlts.

As for removing the assembly itself, you need an 8mm socket on an extension (to reach the bottom two fasteners) and you MUST hold the plastic "hex" they're screwed into so it doesn't turn. The "hex" is slotted on two (2) sides, so I use the flat-blade of a small screwdriver inserted in them to accomplish this.

Edit: all four (4) "hexes" show up in this picture. Upon closer examination, lets call them octagons...

Last edited by Randy Forbes; 07-26-2011 at 10:27 AM.

My Cars
    1999 //M Coupe
    See Rand'y Picture. The front two are very noticeable, right at the top front of each headlight. The other two can be seen looking down through the holes in the body of the car, one on each side of the headlight. They require an 8mm socket.

Also, when putting the headlights back on the car, you will likely find that it is difficult to reinstall the hidden screw to the outside of each headlight. To make it easier, I used electrical tape to tape the screw onto the socket and used that to lower it into place.

My Cars
    1998 Z3 1.9 and Audi Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanCWard View Post
    See Rand'y Picture. The front two are very noticeable, right at the top front of each headlight. The other two can be seen looking down through the holes in the body of the car, one on each side of the headlight. They require an 8mm socket.

Also, when putting the headlights back on the car, you will likely find that it is difficult to reinstall the hidden screw to the outside of each headlight. To make it easier, I used electrical tape to tape the screw onto the socket and used that to lower it into place.
    +1 on the tape (I used simple masking tape). It took me about five minutes of frustration to figure it out on my own.

My Cars
    99-01 M Cpe & Rdts, X5M
    Instead of tape, I tear off a (small) corner of a paper towel, place it over the head of the fastener, and then push it into the socket. That holds the fastener in just fine, and I can pull the socket off once it's started into the threads. A puff of (compressed) air will do away with the scrap of paper towel when I'm finished.

For the record, I used to use tape, and still do on Philips head screws, but the piece of paper towel is easier and faster for anything with a hex or Torx head.

My Cars
    1999 //M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
    Instead of tape, I tear off a (small) corner of a paper towel, place it over the head of the fastener, and then push it into the socket. That holds the fastener in just fine, and I can pull the socket off once it's started into the threads. A puff of (compressed) air will do away with the scrap of paper towel when I'm finished.

For the record, I used to use tape, and still do on Philips head screws, but the piece of paper towel is easier and faster for anything with a hex or Torx head.
    Quick question Randy, have you noticed on the outside screw that we are talking about that it needs to be somewhat crooked in the socket in order to clear the plastic of the headlight?

I am not sure if this is just because I have the Umnitza projectors, but with my housings I need to have the screw pointing somewhat off-center in order to get it started. If this is just because of my headlights, then your paper towel idea is a great one for others, but if this is a universal issue I am wondering how you went about working it with a piece of paper towel...