Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003 530i Owners Tell me YOUR story

My Cars
    03 CLK 320 97 Mazda Milly

Question 2003 530i Owners Tell me YOUR story

I couldn't find anything specific to my questions in my search, sorry if I missed something. However, here's what I got for you 2003 530i owners.

I have it narrowed down to a 530i auto or manual 6spd. I want the sport and permium package if I can find it and 35k or less miles. I don't think I've ever put this much thought into a car purchase and really trying to do my research this time.

I hear some good things on the boards but on the other hand, some bad things from people that know people that own 530's and 540's.

Here's what I am hearing.

1. windows break and won't go up/down
    2. Door handles coming off stop working
    3. A/C going out (pricey for any car!!)
    4. Lots of creaks and squeeks.
    5. Digital LED guage lights going out.
    6. Suspension issues
    7. Shortly after the 4 year mark (when warranties expire) all the bad things start happening.
    8. Various electrical issues

Right now I have a 97 Mazda Millenia that has been very reliable, never left me stranded except for dead battery. Everything still works minus a bad air vent. 108k miles with maybe $2000 in repairs (including timing belt) for its entire life. And I really didn't treat it that good, but I'm not that hard on cars anymore. Besides you can't really beat on that car, it just doesn't have any balls to begin with. Before that I had a 94 Z28 6sp, beat the living crap out of it every day of its life, saw drag stips, autocross and burn out contests, sold it at 105k miles with out a repair except a new clutch.

For whatever reason I'm nervous about expensive BMW repairs. I want a high quality sporty car that is reliable. Anyone had issues with BMW honoringthe warranty after buying a used one (non certified)? I looking at a lease buy back through a broker.

Now what are your real experiences with YOUR 530i cars? I would really appreciate honesty if you can. If I buy now I'll have about a year of warranty left, assuming BMW owners ALL cars under 4 years 50k miles.

Thanks folks! I can see by this board becoming a BMW owner is more than just the car, its a society.

My Cars
    04 Mazdaspeed MX-5
    I own a 2002 530i w/the 5-speed automatic.

One of the big issues you missed in your list is the cooling system, which is sub-par on these vehicles and needs to be watched. My upper radiator elbow disentigrated at 30000 miles, but was covered under warranty.

Another issue that I ran into is the rear door vapor seals. They tend to go bad on these cars for whatever reason, but the replacements are supposedly better.

You mentioned the suspension issues, and they do exist, but I think that the 6-cyl cars don't have them as badly. The 540i's and M5's seem to show the ball-joint issues much more often, but that may be my imagination.

On a sport package equipped car the tires wear quickly, especially the rears.

The 530i is my personal favorite, but it is no muscle car. I would classify it as a sports sedan, but not of the extremely fast type, more of a joy to drive and play with. They are pretty quick in town, and have plentiful power, just not as much as the 540i. Mileage is pretty good, however.

As for the manual, it is a 5-speed in all E39 6-cylinder cars. The 6-speed was not introduced until the next model.

As for the warranty issue, buy a CPO car, the extra 2 years of warranty is definately worth it and there are no shortage of those cars around.

Good luck, and I hope to see you here as an owner soon!
    Slow cars are quite possibly the most fun to own: you can push to extract all the performance you want on a daily basis without getting a ticket.

My Cars
    Thanks for great reply! very helpful.
    Last edited by bloud; 07-17-2006 at 09:04 PM.

My Cars
    2007 530xi
    can't compare a Jap with german in terms of reliability but if Bimmer is maintained properly, then you probably are NOT a Broke Man Walking. Definitely a I6 over V8..less issues...great power and mileage. I would recommend somekind of warranty if you're not a mechanically inclined. Some after market warr are good (as long as they are not out of business !!)
    Look for maintenence records before you buy. I would say no. 8 is popular among these cars though and no 5 may be issue (but can be solved with BMWNA help !). Cooling is what you should look out for....could be issue with thermostat and water pump.
    E39 I6 recommded by consumer reports. Good luck.

My Cars
    Bmw 540i/6; 530i/5
    i have a 03 530i...it is a 5 speed...but its got 58k miles....make me an offer if ur interested..!
    good luck shoping

FS:NEW_BF_Goodrich_245/35/17

My Cars
    DavidHefAJ
    03 530i sport/premiuim/nav

absolutely love it. i can attest to the rear door vapor seal problems though. is it just me or does it seem extremely cheesy that this "vapor seal" is really nothing more than plastic sandwich wrap stuck to the inside of the door with black goop? seems BMW could have done MUCH better in a high end luxury car.

My Cars
    jjd228,

thats a sharp car, which color is that? The precisely what I am looking for.

My Cars
    2003 530I Auto

I own one 530i (2003)

I have owned it for about 5 weeks now. I love it. It is a great car.
    I bought it with 25K miles on it and it has warranty left till jan 07. I am leaning towards buying extended warranty from warrantydirect. I think I will sleep better at night.

I own a Mercedes and I just cry when I go to the dealer, as they normally put a 1K dent in my wallet.
    Sweet 2003 530i ... You gotta love this car.
    Mods: HID Upgrade(MTEC, removed and dumped the Umnitza crappy HID and Angel Predator ICE), DICE Ipod, Bluetooth phone

My Cars
    DavidHefAJ
    Quote Originally Posted by bloud
    jjd228,

thats a sharp car, which color is that? The precisely what I am looking for.
    its "Sterling Gray"... absolutely immaculate, inside and out.

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i / 2004 Acura TSX

Buy a CPO !

I just picked up a 2003 BMW 530iA with an extended warranty from BMW. Its a really good warranty package and you can also get a maintenance package on it (some cars already have it). The maintenance package is fantastic, no charge for brake changes, oil changes, wiper blades...pretty much all the regular stuff excpet for tire rotation/balancing/alignment.

The car has 48K miles on it and i have a 100K mile warranty and maintenance plan.

They even gave me the 2006 Navigation DVD with the car. Its a good idea to go to the dealer and get a certified vehicle, it maybe slightly more expensive, but well worth it in the long run !

If you finance the car, then you s hld def get it from a dealer, they are offering really good deals. 2003 3-series are going at 3.9% and 2003 5 series at 4.5% (with good credit history obviously) !

take a look at it, they are also much more professional than the smaller dealers !

good luck !

-n

My Cars
    2003 Jetta GLI
    I am picking up a 2003 530i Manual Tranny w/ sport / premium / etc tomorrow. 42,000 miles (not CPO).

How reliable are the aftermarket warranties? I generally feel that it's not worth it, but...

My Cars
    '03 E39 530i
    Owned the car since new and there has been NO problems with the car. Engine coils were replaced under recall and still runs like new @ 50k miles.

My Cars
    '03 E39 Sport w/Nav
    I also recently bought a 2003 530i w/Nav/Sport/Premium packages Black_on_black. It has 53,000 miles on but got the 4yr/50k extended aftermarket warranty just in case (Easy Care Gold). I love the car thus far have really owned it for one week, so it is still to early to determine any issues. I would recommened though that you find a real good clean and well maintained bimmer. If you get one used, make sure you all the service history reports and carfax info. I was lucky as the prevoius owner had it under a lease agreement (3yr) and he had a record of all service and work done to the car, clean title and all.
    From I have being seeing in these forum and best for long run in ownership I'd say go with the 6cyl....but then again that is my biased opinion since I own a E39 6 cyl.

"Hmmm splurt...Hmmm... you taste so good!" (First words when she hopped in my E39 for the first time and took her out for a spin)

My Cars
    04 545i sport
    Ive had my '02 530 for about 10 months now, bought it w/ 74k miles, lease return with no warranty and have only experienced a couple minor problems. I do have the pixel display problem, there are about 18 lines "burnt out" and its basically illegible but Im working with bmwna to get it replaced. my a/c compressor hasnt failed, but I did have it recharged at ~91k miles and it made a huge difference, its alot colder now. the only other issue Ive had is the auxilary fan died and was causing the car to almost overheat during long idles, but that was only a few hundred $$ to have fixed, and from what I understand is a common problem with any 5 series. the other things Ive had done to it are just regular/preventative maintenence things...and as far as creaks/squeaks/rattles go, I have NONE at all and I have a very unforgiving ear I think its quite impressive that my car w/ 98k miles has no rattles and my dads 04 honda accord with ~18k has a ton haha...

overall the car has been near perfect for the 24k miles Ive had it, way more reliable than my much lower mileage jeep and land rover were...get a 530 youll love it, just try and find one with sport pkg and as said above, CPO is a big plus! good luck with your search!

-Jonathan

2004 BMW 545i sport: current
    2005 Cadillac Escalade: sold
    2005 LR Range Rover: sold
    2006 Infiniti M45 sport: sold
    2001 BMW 540i sport: sold

My Cars
    '02 530i/A
    I also bought an '02 530i/A with sport/premium packages, shades, navigation (CD-based), and premium sound. This one also came to me with 74,300 miles, but it is a CPO-warrantied one. That's fortunate because I've been fight a vibration problem and thus far (6 weeks), the dealer has replaced all 4 tires, straightened 3 of 4 wheels, and changed the upper thrust arm bushings.

My OE battery also gave up, they replaced that free of charge too. Like Jonathan's, mine is also free of ANY squeaks, creaks or rattles. My dash has no failed pixels, and the A/C has always been cold as ice, and I have seen no signs of any impending cooling system failures (knock on wood) though I've been keeping a close eye on it.

Would buy again!

My Cars
    2003 530 sport sedan

No Problem here

ive owned two 5 series and one 3 series, ive always have had extemely good luck with these cars, i currently own a 530i, with the sport package on it...i sold my 1997 525i last year with 170,000 miles on it, which i had for three years with no major problem, ive even had a 1975 2002 model, which had 250,000 miles on it...lol

My Cars
    02-530 stick Blown
    E39 530 don't come with 6 spd manual just 5-spd BTW.
    Must have options
    Sport package
    E39 530 sport package 5-spd is the best damn sedan in the world.
    It's an awsome car, it's so smooth but yet sporty, and the feeling is just unbelievable.
    Things to be taken care right away if you live in the cold climate.
    CCV system
    Cooling system
    Suspension.

Other then those three mentioned, this car is very dependable. And one more bad news is it has the generic M54 engine it tends to consume a bit of oil after 70K miles.

My Cars
    2003 530iA Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bloud View Post
    For whatever reason I'm nervous about expensive BMW repairs. I want a high quality sporty car that is reliable. Anyone had issues with BMW honoringthe warranty after buying a used one (non certified)? I looking at a lease buy back through a broker.

Now what are your real experiences with YOUR 530i cars? I would really appreciate honesty if you can. If I buy now I'll have about a year of warranty left, assuming BMW owners ALL cars under 4 years 50k miles.

Thanks folks! I can see by this board becoming a BMW owner is more than just the car, its a society.
    Welcome and best of luck in search, be sure to let us all know how your search goes. I too am in the market for a 2nd E39 since I just sold my 2001 525i.

As for repairs... for me the key is DIY. I just replaced the thrust arms and front and rear window trim on my 525i before I sold it to my sister. You will definitely save yourself a ton of money by doing your own repairs.

As far as the 530i I think you are on the right path, I would definitely look for one with all the bells and whistles. My 2003 Sport has the NAV, Xenons, Cold Weather, Sunshades and it is a pleasure to drive.

Spend some time reading this forum and you will be able to fix just about anything on your car.

Not sure where you are going to find a 6yr old BMW with a factory warranty but I am willing to learn. BMW did give me the "goodwill" instrument cluster replacement for my 530i but they were not obligated to. I always viewed myself as the warranty when it comes to fixing things!
    Last edited by jagerhund; 05-10-2009 at 09:49 PM.
    2003 530iA Sport - Titangrau Metallic/Schwarz Montana
    Build Codes: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW. Born on date: 09/02, Dingolfing, Deutschland
    |NAV MKIV WAZE | PP | CWP | Xenons | Style 42s | Rear Shades | OEM ULF Bluetooth | Euro Armrest | Beisan Vanos Seals | OEM Aux Input |

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I would love to have a manual 5-speed transmission 530i sport!

They are very hard to find, and even more rare to find one that has been maintained by an ethusiast.
    Too bad the economy is preventing me from doing anything...
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 05-11-2009 at 08:09 AM.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    3 years now on my 97 528, bought with 90000 miles, now has 152000 miles. Few real big issues, purchased with a major components aftermarket warrantee just for peace of mind. Did some minor suspension repairs, an oil pan sensor, a purge valve, an ignition switch brakes and the occasional frozen door lock, otherwise has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. Many of the issues you mention while common are not really chronic, many are common to any vehicle the only ones that are Really specific to these cars are the cooling system, and sometimes the dash LEDS, everything else you list are simply things that happen to any car as it ages.
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    530IA
    Time to change that photo. The snow is gone and it must be washed by now?

Quote Originally Posted by NNY528I View Post
    3 years now on my 97 528, bought with 90000 miles, now has 152000 miles. Few real big issues, purchased with a major components aftermarket warrantee just for peace of mind. Did some minor suspension repairs, an oil pan sensor, a purge valve, an ignition switch brakes and the occasional frozen door lock, otherwise has been one of the best cars I have ever owned. Many of the issues you mention while common are not really chronic, many are common to any vehicle the only ones that are Really specific to these cars are the cooling system, and sometimes the dash LEDS, everything else you list are simply things that happen to any car as it ages.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    holy thread resurrection! OP is from 2006!

My Cars
    '02 530i manual
    Quote Originally Posted by theshiznet2004 View Post
    holy thread resurrection! OP is from 2006!
    Yeah, I was about to dish out my dirt when I realized this. The guy probably didn't buy it since he hasn't posted anything since.

My Cars
    Nope I didn't buy it. Now looking at X5's as we have a little one coming. Wife won't part with her CLK and getting a baby in and out of the back seat of that will be a real pain.

I ended up with a new 2006 Passat V6 with sport and luxury pkg at the time. It's been a great car with very good performance every option imaginable and a price you just couldn't beat. No it doesn't drive like a BMW, but you'd be surprised the power and handling it does have. We will keep it.

My Cars
    '02 530i & '09 335d
    You son of a bitch! Turning on us like that.
    I hope you rot in hell..

Nah jk, the X5's are shweet. We had an '03 X5 4.6L w/ sport and that mofo was fast.
    And was a tank. We got in one accident where this guy was fish tailing around at a pretty high speed >50mph and he was sliding to the left (where we were) and hit the passenger side front wheel and then bounced off and the driver's side rear of his car slammed into the pillar and part of the rear door (where I was sitting)
    We walked out fine, no bruises nothing. Even though it pushed us into a bank on the left. Anyways, the mofo broke the axel or twisted and it was some serious damage, enough that it was totaled.
    Another time was I was with my sister and she was driving and we were just sitting at a stop light listening to biggie when boom and we only scooted forward like a 1.5ft and we get out and here is this guy's bumper is cracked and shit (ruined) and we have the tiniest scratch. I was laughing pretty hard.
    But I loved the car and would buy one.
    GET ONE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast