Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: OBC pixel and button fix DIY...

My Cars
    1998 323ic
    lecchilo : thanks for the DIY...i just did it..took me about an hour because i couldnt find the right screw to take out the brackets, but the pixels work great now.

My Cars
    BMW E36 Cabrio
    thank you, i dit it also and it looks like new: 0 pixel failure
    THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    1993 325i
    Please help me with a button DIY. my temp button is stuck in and needs excessive force to bring up the temperature.
    Jim Conforti Chip, RE SSK, intake

My Cars
    96 328is
    Thanks for the post lecchilo, I did this DIY and got all but 2 pixels back on screen and it looks like new.
    Last edited by Riken; 01-08-2008 at 01:39 PM.

My Cars
    M3, '69 911 2.8SS, '70 9
    Good stuff! I just did the repair and it brought back all but one pixel. Good enough!

Thanks for psoting such useful info.

My Cars
    '93 320i
    I took some time tonight to try this on my poor OBC. Helped a whole bunch, but I still need to add a bit more tape to fully bring back my dead pixels. Great writeup, very easy steps to follow! Thanks alot man

'93 Bmw 32oi /// White leather, H&R race springs, Style 125 reps, Evo X wing

My Cars
    TT Stg2 M3, 17 S1000R
    Great write up! I just did it too, i got all the pixels except for one whole line. Thats okay though i can live with it I also did fix Temp button but not sure how long its going to hold up.

I didnt take too many pics but the most important one describing what i did to fix it.

Edit: Picture is below, its just how i folded the double sided tape over so it would make the little plastic piece hit the button a little easier. I dont know how long it will last like this but thats all i did...There may be a better/easier fix, i didnt read the whole thread sorry. Hope this helps anyone. Sorry for the blurry pic but you pretty much get the point. If you dont know how to get that out use this thread and this one:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...C+button+stuck
    Last edited by stanksbeamen; 03-09-2008 at 08:08 PM.
    '97 M3- GC Track/School|Spraco strut bar|X-brace|UUC Swaybarbarians|w/ VMC adj End links| UUC systemU|SouthBend stg5 clutch|Powerflex RTAB/LCAB|UUC Red Tranny mounts|M50mani|Greddy EBC|Innovate LC-1
    M52 Crank, Cams, Pistons, Rods:

My Cars
    TT Stg2 M3, 17 S1000R

Temp button Fix on OBC

'97 M3- GC Track/School|Spraco strut bar|X-brace|UUC Swaybarbarians|w/ VMC adj End links| UUC systemU|SouthBend stg5 clutch|Powerflex RTAB/LCAB|UUC Red Tranny mounts|M50mani|Greddy EBC|Innovate LC-1
    M52 Crank, Cams, Pistons, Rods:

My Cars
    06 Accord
    that orange screen type piece.....is that what makes the display orange?
    i've already fixed my buttons.....nail polish and a ready to expire credit card were my friends in that endeavor

BLEED GREEN CLUB #25

My Cars
    Trek 930
    Hello and thank you for the write up. I just tried it, but no luck. Still might play with it some more (nothing to loose). One question and one comment.

My PC board is quite discolored (brown) around the ICs. Similar, but more extensive (darker) then shown in picture #6. Have other people seen this and gotten their displays to work?

On my MFD, the grey posts (picture #4) were held on with T8 torx screw, instead of Philips head screws. This is from a '97 328is. Just FYI

Thank you

My Cars
    E36, K1200r
    wow! excellent write up man! will be really useful once i get the time to take this on thx.

My Cars
    00 M Coupe
    hey i have no electric skill when it comes to circuit boards and all that, but i just finished this and it worked. i just need to replace 2 of the bulbs and im good to go

My Cars
    '93 320i

'93 Bmw 32oi /// White leather, H&R race springs, Style 125 reps, Evo X wing

My Cars
    2001 330i
    good stuff

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

My Cars
    M3 1997
    Hey Ivan- great DIY fix. I took my time and followed your instructions. My display is showing 98% up from 20% before! Looks great. I could get anal and try for 100% display (wait 'till I get some more time) but for now I can read outside temp and see the time clearly! Anyone can do this fix so don't be freaked out, just take your time (took me 1 hour) once your in there all becomes clear. Simply follow the directions and recognize the obvious.
    This was awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

My Cars
    99 M3 Convertible
    anyone in central NJ wanna do this plus the button fix for me? Will come to you, pay $40 cash and provide the needed materials.

pm or email is best.

My Cars
    e28, e30, e36
    where is the button fix diy?
    BTW: i have a 11 button with dead pixels if anyone is looking for one?

My Cars
    97 328iC
    I'm looking for an 11 button to work on. I have another fix method that I'm trying because the one in this thread didn't work for me. Where in CT are you?

My Cars
    e28, e30, e36
    email pramos-1@hotmail.com

i have a dead range function button. don't know how to fix it.

My Cars
    E60 550i
    i tryed this fix on mine and it fixed all but 5 rows of pixels. I used the double sided tape and then electrical tape to raise it up. And at a tad above the line it still was missing 5 lines so i put more on and it just got worse. Wouldnt going over the line push it more against the board so it would be sure to get connection? Or should i take some tape off and see how that goes.
    Alpine E36 98 328i/5 - Sold
    Arctik E36 95 M3/2/5 - Sold
    Cosmos E36 98 M3/4/5 - Sold
    Boston E39 98 528i - Sold
    Cosmos E39 97 528i - Sold
    Cosmos E39 98 540i6M Sport- Sold
    Titanium E53 01 X5 3.0L - Current
    Titanium E60 05 545i Sport - Current
    Monaco E60 06 550i Sport - Current

My Cars
    09 Yamaha R6s & 95 325iC
    I wrote this a while back when I had my 328... since then I wasn't really on the forums cuz of school, etc. but now I'm back (with my M3) so I'll try to dig up some of the button photos and DIY (but it seems like the ones linked to above are great) and answer other questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Arctikz View Post
    i tryed this fix on mine and it fixed all but 5 rows of pixels. I used the double sided tape and then electrical tape to raise it up. And at a tad above the line it still was missing 5 lines so i put more on and it just got worse. Wouldnt going over the line push it more against the board so it would be sure to get connection? Or should i take some tape off and see how that goes.
    Pushing it against it is what generally works because the original piece gets loose/deformed... you might simply have a bad connection between the board and strip so pushing it against it does nothing still... I'm not sure about that though but I do remember using a regular pencil to make connections work better (as recommended by the guy who first showed me how to do this)
    -Ivan

My Cars
    BMW

Thank you!

I just fixed my OBC. It took about 3 hours. Some things to bear in mind:

1) Take the bulbs out!
    2) I used 1.1mm thick 3M double sided tape. You might want to go with something just a bit thicker.
    3) Be extremely careful with the cover that is attached to the circuit board. I peeld some of the stip off and it was hard to line up again!!
    4) Take your time!

My Cars
    328is
    Great write up and very helpful. If you follow the instructions here, it will tak eyou about 5-10 minutes to get it apart. I had to use a "star" screw driver to get the 2 screws out of the back, but when I finally got mine apart I found out why it was not working properly. The connector strip that is connected to the circuit board and the white plastic frame is ripped in half. Oh well, it was an effort and I truly appreciate your help with this write-up.

My Cars
    M3
    I have the 7 button OBC, and I tried this fix on it, and it is completely different. However, here is the good news... I still fixed it 100%! It looks amazing now! And I was about to buy a whole new unit! I had about 10% display before, all the pixels were faded or "burned". After opening up the OBC and playing with the parts and cleaning certain parts, I put it back together and it worked perfect. So if anyone has the 7 button OBC, email dsenos@rogers.com and I will help you out. -Dave.

My Cars
    94 318i - 91 Civic dx
    This is great, when i bought my car the obc never lit up, and now that i fixed it, i finally know what it looks like, its amazing. But, what's the memo button for?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast