Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idle Control Valve Write up; ICV clean DIY

My Cars
    Ford Falcon Utility, Kia Sportage,Hilux, BMW 318i

Exclamation Now im confused

Firstly well documented write up, and wonderful follow-ups.

After having my '95 318i breakdown not to long ago it was tow truck home and and evening of head scratching and a garage full of stale smoke, thankfully not from the car but rather my lungs.

The smoke from the car had occurred earlier, anyways I'm assuming all the hoses around the ICV are vacuum. After the overheating escapades i poured water in my radiator after realising i had a loss somewhere along the line and, viola water coming out right near the ICV, a split hose from what i can see.

Now if anyone could explain how this could come to be it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

My Cars
    1994 318

Freaking Idle Control Valve!

Mr. M, Nice pics! Very nice! I have a couple of questions. I took the ICV out and cleaned it per your instructions. I checked all hoses and found that the one leading to the air box was cracked, near the top. Will this crack give false air and subsequently a rough idle? The car cranks, but turns over intermittently. I then unplugged the ICV, and it works like a champ. What problems will I run into if I leave it unplugged? Also, is it the cracked hose that is giving me the problem or the ICV itself? Thanks

My Cars
    2001 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by 318is4me View Post
    Mr. M, thanks for the instructions, I started working on mine today, but it got dark so I decided to finish tomorrow. On the first picture I noticed that you rubber boot is cracked. Did you replace yours? The reason why I'm asking mine has the same problem and I'm wondering if it also is contributing to the rough idling. I'll try to finish cleaning my ICV tomorrow, so hopefully it fixes the problem. Also did you have to reset your check engine light or did it just go away?
    Yes, you MUST replace the hoses and rubber intake boot if you find cracks on them. They will contribute to rough idling even after cleaning your ICV.

The boot is about $30 at the dealership and the two ICV hoses are about $10 and $18.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

My Cars
    1991 325i Coupe
    Holy crap us 92'ers have it so easy. I took off the whole upper manifold only to realize I didn't have to . Cleaning the ICV worked ok until I took the car for a hard drive. After the hard drive and working the RPM's it idled perfectly.

My Cars
    '02 330it
    Should the ICV mechanism move freely or should there be a little spring loaded resistance when moving it around???

My Cars
    1991 325i Coupe
    mine didn't move at all

My Cars
    '02 330it
    I know this thread is about DIY cleaning but I was wondering if anyone knew if the ICV is bad if it is giving low resistance with the multimeter? The bentley shows it shouid be 20 (+/-5) ohms but mine comes out to 10.

My Cars
    03 540i, 98 323is (sold)
    clean the icv last week using OP instructions. fairly straight forward, but it was a pita to get to the icv (on a M52B25). cleaning was cake and putting the hose all back was easy, took me 2.5 hours, 1/2 just trying to find the icv.

My Cars
    '02 330it
    Can you clean the ICV with WD-40???

My Cars
    94E36 m42 SEDAN
    Quote Originally Posted by 18rabbit View Post
    No! Don't use it. You buterfly will get dirts go for carb cleaner

I know this thread is about DIY cleaning but I was wondering if anyone knew if the ICV is bad if it is giving low resistance with the multimeter? The bentley shows it shouid be 20 (+/-5) ohms but mine comes out to 10.
    I don't think so.

I kinda recall from the bentley book seeming they just listen for the vacuum suction something.

But for me, just diagnose w/ carsoft, no guessing game though.
    Last edited by psyyambmw; 12-12-2008 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    Yeah don't do that. You want it clean and dry. Fuel has its own lubricating properties. Any oil will just muck it up and your idle will really be fubared.

My Cars
    M54,M52,EJ25
    WD-40 is not safe, nor is carb cleaner. Use throttle-body cleaner that is marked teflon safe.

330ci ZHP + ZPP + ZCW - SilberGrau on Black Heated Leather - 6MT - Adaptive+Dynamic Xenons
    328is ZPP - Black on Sand Leather - BBS RX - ZKWs
    Subaru BG Outback 5MT - Blue/Gray - WRX Wheels + Altimax Arctics

My Cars
    '94 BMW 318i

Wd-40

I was minutes away from cleaning the ICV and spraying some WD-40 into it, until I read the last few posts. Why oh why?

I had a rough idle/stall problem after starting about a year ago, I did this DIY, cleaned the ICV with Throttle body cleaner (no mention of teflon safe on it), and the problem went away completely, started like a new car. For one year. Now the problem is back. When I start the car, it starts fine, revs gently to 1500, then just as gently drops to 0 and stalls. I can usually fix it, but letting the revs drop to about 500 until the engine starts to die and throb violently (I know, not good) and giving it a bit of gas, the throbbing / rocking violently seems to solve the problem (probably creating other problems at the same time).

I've seen in other write-ups of this DIY that people spray WD-40 into the ICV. This makes sense to me and I don't see how it would hurt, as long as you don't just douse it in WD-40 and make sure the WD is on the valve only and not on the hoses.

Can someone please reply and explain why WD-40 won't work or is bad, please. Thank you in advance.

*edit*

Answer to my own question: I was hoping to use WD-40 to lubricate the ICV as well as clean it. Having done a bit of googling, I discovered that WD-40 is not a lubricant at all and evaporates after a while anyway. So then, a new question: what can I use to lubricate the ICV. I imagine oil of any kind is a bad idea, or is it? Please help.

How about Dry Teflon lube?
    Last edited by L3B0W5K1; 01-09-2009 at 08:53 PM.

My Cars
    2000 740i Sport, 69 GTO
    On my 93 318 I didnt have to remove the intake. The hose curved around the intake to the idle control valve. I could remove the idle control valve and all with out removing the intake manifold.
    1969 GTO Warwick Blue/Parchment
    2000 740i Sport 6 speed

My Cars
    1993 BMW 318i
    Delmarco,

12 AIR HOSE HC1/2 1 09/1994 13411739650 $18.41 $26.00
    Per Pelican, the part number is for the hose with the Y-shaped connectors, whereas the one in the picture is not Y-shaped.

I recently bought a 1993 318i and the previous owner alerted me about the rough/intermittent idle issue. He said it needed a new ICV since he had cleaned the old one and the problem went away, but came back.

So I replaced the ICV and the same thing happened. Car ran out great for a week, but now the idle is once again bouncing between 500 and 1500 rpm.

I did notice that one of the hoses was taped up when I replaced the ICV, so I will replace those and see what happens.
    Last edited by hellig; 09-15-2009 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3

1998 m3 s52 icv access

for a 1998 m3 s52 ... not sure if same as m52 ?

No need to remove manifold ... however you should plan on cleaning the maf and throttle .. because you will have access to these while getting to the icv.

1. Remove MAF
    a. spray clean with maf cleaner
    2. Remove rubber boot
    a. check for cracks
    b. note: the hose connected on bottom of boot will lead you to the icv
    3. Remove 1st throttle (two 10mm bolts)
    4. Remove 2nd throttle (four bolts)
    a. you may want to purchase a new gasket when you reinstall

5. To remove icv
    a. icv is held in place by a metal bracket (with a rubber strap) which
    is secured by two bolts to the body of the car.
    b. to find the bolt
    1. follow the oil dipstick holder to where it is secure to the body of
    of the car by one bolt.
    2. above the dipstick bolt is the two bolts that secures the icv
    c. Remove all three bolts that hold the dipstick and icv
    d. remove the hose that connects to the icv
    e. Now grab hold of the icv and pull down until it pops off
    (it is only held in place by a rubber connector so just pull it down)
    f. disconnect the sensor connector and remove the icv
    6. Clean the heck out of the icv .. don't reinstall until you hear the click
    sounds as you turn it side to side.

good luck ... this shouldn't take long .. but you'll need to wait til parts are dry before reinstall.

My Cars
    e36 318ic
    i have a 1996 318ic with a manual 4cyl motor. and my ICV isnt where this write-up says it should be. wheres it at???

My Cars
    94E36 m42 SEDAN
    Ya motor is an M44 mate.

Does it look like this?

So, the ICV is the item# 9. A lot more easy to service though.

Here's realoem link for ya further info http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...g=15&lang=enUS

Good luck
    Last edited by psyyambmw; 10-27-2009 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '01 BMW 540i, 65 Mustang

This made it EASY to do, even for a novice to BMW's!!

This is GREAT! I took mine apart exactly like these steps and it was EEEEEEEEEEEEASY!! I have never workded on a BMW before but this made it VERY easy to do. We have been having the same rough idle issue and the clown down at MIDAS who does work "on the side" could NOT get the car running any better! I hope this works after I put it back together! My ICV is now drying out after it's alcohol bath! THANKS A BUNCH for this post!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.M View Post
    Note: If you cannot see the images, please PM me for them and I will email them to you.

So I did a search on cleaning the idle control valve and came up with question threads that had no answers. The DIY on bimmerDIY is essentially useless, so here’s one I hope will be of more use to M42 owners

If your idle is rough, changes rpm's, or just fails to keep the engine running, your IVC may be clogged and in need of cleaning. I was having a slightly rough idle and decided to do mine.

This DIY / write-up will require the following tools/supplies:
    Flashlight would be helpful.
    11mm socket
    Flathead screwdriver
    Throttle body (TB) cleaner
    OEM hoses if in need of replacement
    Throttle body gasket and intake manifold gasket (not technically necessary, but a good idea)

It took me about an hour to remove, clean, and put back the ICV. Plus I let the hoses dry (while out of the car) for about 20 minutes on top of that.

First, start by opening the hood with the engine off and hopefully not too hot, as you will make contact with the block and the intake manifold.

You will take off the intake tube, shown below, by loosening the screws at the blue arrows, and pulling off the hose at the red arrow. Then pull the intake tube off completely.

Next, you remove the throttle body, by four 11mm bolts. The top two are shown with red arrows below. The bottom two are on the bottom of the TB, in the same position as the top two.

Move the throttle body off to the side, to gain access to the upper intake manifold, like this:

Next, we'll disconnect the hose connecting the manifold to the ICV we wish to remove and clean. Behind the manifold, at the back of the engine bay, is the hose. Just twist it off, as shown by the red arrow.

Now it's time to remove the upper intake manifold. Undo all 5 of the 11mm nuts attaching it to the lower manifold. The nut locations are highlighted below with red arrows. The nut in the rear of the engine bay is hard to get to, but a small 11mm socket and 1/4" drive ratchet should get it out.

Next, carefully remove the manifold, by slowly lifting it up. I pried it off woodworker style using the backside of a hammer against the block. Be sure to remove it evenly though, lifting it up equally on all sides. Otherwise it will get stuck on the bolts on the manifold's drivers side. It is easiest to place it as shown:

Now we have acces to the ICV. As shown below, it is attached with a rubber strap at the point shown with red arrows. The blue arrows indicate the electrical connection, which pulls of when you press down a wire clip. They also point to the hose connections, which you will also want to remove. Note the arrow on top of the ICV. It points TOWARDS the block. The part label with Bosch and the BMW part number written on it also face the front of the car. This is important. You want to put it back facing the correct direction.

Now, take the ICV and clean it. The image below shows the ports into which the tubes were plugged, and air flows, with a blue arrow. You'll want to hit it with an old toothbrush and a gratuitous soaking with the TB cleaner. You may choose to clean the throttle body itself while at it with some paper towels and the cleaner.

Let everything dry, and clean off the hoses if you'd like. One of mine was cracked and therefore replaced, but washing the oil and grease off of them will help them last longer. Replace any that are cracked! They will make your idle worse and allow unfiltered air into the engine = bad. Be sure to let everything dry, especially items that were cleaned with water (hoses.) Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure to connect ALL the hoses - double check!

And you're done! My idle was substantially smoother and more consistent. It made a huge difference! Good luck, and PM me with any questions, or if you are having trouble viewing the image.

Regards,

-Robert
    Hey budy, check out my reply. I did it just as the original poster showed. We have a 94 318is Auto and it looked just like the pics in this post. It was VERY EASY and I have NEVER workded on a BMW b4. Go for it.......you can do it billy madison!
    Last edited by richboss302; 11-22-2009 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 328i & 94 318I
    what are the two hole under the upper manifold, because i am doing a swap on a 1994 318i with an m42 motor i have everything hook up right but under the upper manifold i have two hose that i cant figure out where they go.

please help.

My Cars
    1993 bmw 318i
    hey guys i know this is totally different than what your talking about but i have a 93 318i. Ive had a bad problem with cold starts. It takes bout 3 to 5 minutes to start just spittin and sputterin tryin to to start then it will start and idle up then idle down and die. It'll do that three or four times and then finally itll start and idle then go up and down almost dyeing till after bout 6 to 7 minutes itll smooth out and run fine once the temp gauge comes up. I pulled the codes and it said temp sensor replaced and it didnt change anything. Well then the other day i pulled up at parts store and killed it when i came back out it wouldnt start just crank crank crank no hit at all. So I disconected the battery and let sit for a minute hooked it back up and it started right up. Its done that a couple times since. Well now today I drove my car all day starting and stopping no problem several times today. When I got home i backed it up on ramps and was doing some measurments on the exaust and when i went to start it it wouldnt start. Ive tried the battery thing like usuall and it worked so i drove to the store and it ran fine killed it went in come back out started back up come home. When I went to leave again guess what it wouldnt start. I tried everything like usual plus more and what itll do now is after i disconect the battery for a few minutes itll start rev up to about 2500 and then die and then i have to start over again. I am at an end and dont know what else to do. Do any of you have any ideas....?? I think maybe DME or fuel pump???

My Cars
    1997 740i 4.4V8 and a 1988 325i touring
    I think I need to do this to my 96 318ti. I replaced my temp sensor. But had no luck. When she is cold she idles way to low and goes to stall. So I have to sit there every time she is cold and keep her revs about 2k for a min, then she is less likely to stall. When cold she idles about 400 when hot 1200. Think this is the icv?

Thankyou
    matt

My Cars
    1994 318is
    Matt- Sounds like it very well could be the ICV. I was having somewhat similar problems with my 318is, and cleaning the ICV and throttle body helped a lot. The boot before the throttle body had a small rip, and I think all kinds of sludge was getting in. Replacing the boot and cleaning these areas made a big difference. I also found a cracked vac hose, and got to know the car better. It cost nothing but $4 for a can of cleaner (although I think starter fluid worked better?), took about an hour or two, and solved many problems. Why not?

PS Don't spray the cleaner directly into the throttle body.

PSS Have a full socket set with extenders and a angle or flexy extender, and a magnet on a stick just in case. Also, snap a few quick photos after each part comes off, just in case you get distracted or delayed before putting everything back together.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by NYCHighwheeler; 03-15-2010 at 12:24 PM.

My Cars
    1997 E36 (Euro) M3
    You need clean your ICV, and also your intake path :MAF, and Filter mainly. Actually this should like a routine thing specially if u r living in a dry place.

here is a DIY for the ICV cleaning:
    http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/b...aning-diy.html

My Cars
    e30.
    I did this to my M42 today. The idle is rock solid now. Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast