Page 9 of 103 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL bogging, hesitating, no acceleration from idle thread

My Cars
    Don't know if this has been asked yet, (it's to much to read), but you guys are using the correct octane gas right? If you only get those problems with greater throttle, then that might be the reason.

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    Yeah, got that one covered. 92 FTW.

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    i want to push my car into the ocean if it makes a difference...

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    No!! BMWs can't swim!

My Cars
    e36 328 '97
    Guys,

I've got a very clean and smooth acceleration from every rpm level, after I installed this. Got 3 of these next to the battery. Also installed a grounding cable.

http://www.the-pivot.co.jp/product/se/raizin-e.html

And this improved my 0-60 time by 0.8 sec.

http://www.the-pivot.co.jp/product/se/raizin-s-e.html

Last edited by L36328; 01-29-2006 at 01:30 AM.
    Bilstein shocks|H&R springs|Eibach antirollbars|Bridgestone RE001|Foamed chassis|X-brace.|Camber plates|Voltage stabilizers|Grounding cable|Full Wurth soundproofing|Engine rebuilt|Gearbox rebuiltx2|Work in progress...

My Cars
    318i
    Bahh...I wish we all can fix this mystery. It's like some kind of disease passed on for E36s. My car has a problem going over 3,000+ RPM, it's so hard when other cars are running you over on the Hwy.

Starting at the 3,000+ RPM point, it starts to jerk like it does not have enough fuel to let the car move forward. I took it to a mechanic and he changed my vacuum boot which fixed the idle of my car only.

Later, I checked the check engine code and it gave me code for o2 sensors. I was told to reset it to see if it appears again. The check engine light appears every now and then. I'm thinking it's the o2 sensors but haven't thought about changing it because that may not be the main problem. Anybody think the o2 sensor has anything to do with this?

My Cars
    318i
    Does the correct octane gas have a great effect on the car? I heard from some people it doesn't make much of a difference. I don't know what the previous owner of the car pumped into the car so I wonder if that could trigger the problem. What's the right octane anyways? 89 for the 1995 318i, right?

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    ^^ not really, a tad slower due to timing retardation, but not to the point of our problems.

My Cars
    E46 M3; Triumph TT600
    Welcome a new member to the club of hesitation / bogging.

Mine just hesitates from idle to about 2 - 3k. No where near as bad as DMurrary's though.

BTW, Dan, have you checked your intake boot or your O2 sensor? The E30 is notorious for acting the way your E36 did in the video, or even a nasty vacuum leak.

I'm going to pull my plugs and iginition coils tomorrow. Next step will be a new O2 sensor.

The cats on my 92 325i are about 1 year old, just passed smog, so those should be still good.

I'll snap pics of my plugs and ignition coil boots for you guys too. Might as well start a well-documented trouble-shooting process.

- Jonathan

My Cars
    BMW318i s coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by dmurray14
    OK guys, over the past week I am amazed at the amount of people that have been having the same issue I've been experiencing - horrible bogging / hesitation. This is being presented in the form of hesitation that occurs when beginning to accelerate from idle up to about 2.5-3k where you then feel a boost of power and experience normal acceleration. For me, it's not only embarrasing losing launches against cars I know I should beat, but it's a safety hazard - sometimes I feel like the car can't even get out of its own way until after the 3k hurdle mentioned above. I know there are many of you out there with this SAME EXACT problem, and so far I haven't seen any solutions. So hopefully we can use this thread to gather information and figure out going on. Please share your symptoms, what you have tried, and anything you have noticied that is relevant.

My car is a 1993 325is.

Here is what I have tried:

Replace Spark Plugs - Seemed to help for a day or so, but then quickly lost hope. Same problem continued.

Clean MAF sensor - No improvement at all

Check Intake tubing for cracks - No cracks or leaks

Things I've noticied:

- Need a new valve cover gasket, little bit of oil in spark plug holes

- Still have original Bosch ignition coils

- Coil boots are worn, white powder on the end of boot (spark plug side)

- Have notorious VANOS rattle, can be heard in engine bay while revving engine.

- NO check engine light or codes

Please, share what you can so we can all get a better idea what's going on. I want my acceleration back!

Dan
    What is a vanos i know when i floor my car in low gears i get like a rasp in the exaust well i think its the exauset but its new so cant be!! does my head in
    E36 Alpine white club member #10

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwe30is
    Welcome a new member to the club of hesitation / bogging.

Mine just hesitates from idle to about 2 - 3k. No where near as bad as DMurrary's though.

BTW, Dan, have you checked your intake boot or your O2 sensor? The E30 is notorious for acting the way your E36 did in the video, or even a nasty vacuum leak.

I'm going to pull my plugs and iginition coils tomorrow. Next step will be a new O2 sensor.

The cats on my 92 325i are about 1 year old, just passed smog, so those should be still good.

I'll snap pics of my plugs and ignition coil boots for you guys too. Might as well start a well-documented trouble-shooting process.

- Jonathan
    Yep, new O2 with about 5k miles on it. Is there a way to check it with a multimeter or something?

Intake boot is fine, no cracks.

I switched in a used set of coils that I was told were good, made no difference. I guess they could be bad as well, though that doens't seem too likely.

Cats are probably on their way out...failed smog twice until I got the cats nice and hot, and passed no problem. That might just be a BMW cat trait though, from what I understand.

One thing I did notice - when I changed my plugs the old ones' tips were all white...don't know exactly what this indicates.

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    One thing I did notice - when I changed my plugs the old ones' tips were all white...don't know exactly what this indicates.

Dan
    Detonation, I think. Check out the picture at the bottom:
    http://www.bmwe30.net/cgi-bin/datacg...063&Section=15

My Cars
    '94 325is, '67 bug

Ahh!

well i have this same problem, just read through all 9 pages and decided to get some stuff to try and fix it. I'm gunna start with the O2 sensor, if that doesnt work i'll try the coolant sensor, and then i'll just throw in a fuel filter since i'm probably over due anyways. if it works i'll let ya'll know. good luck to all of you who have this problem cause it SUCKS!

My Cars
    BMW318i s coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by splinter
    What is a vanos i know when i floor my car in low gears i get like a rasp in the exaust well i think its the exauset but its new so cant be!! does my head in
    Bump!

My Cars
    1995 325
    VANOS is a system that changes valve timing. The 4 cylinder cars don't have it.
    1995 325I, tinted windows, K&N, debaffled airbox, Nighthawk low beams, BMW style #104 wheels, smoked corners, smoked sidemarkers, smoked taillights, M3 style heated mirrors, various interior bits, Bosal cat-back.

My Cars
    BMW E36 320i

I have the same problem (In the UK)

Ive read the Whole thread today

I have an idle issue too & sometimes exsperiance when on the motorway the car will missfire/lag for a few seconds then pick up again after doing this when stopped it will rev by itself between 2k rpm and 3.5k rpm.

Just to recap what people have done to fix this problem

The number of I's tell you how many people have changed that particular item and curred there problem.

Crank Sensor IIII<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Vacum Pipe I (Pipe from Vanos to inlet)<o:p></o:p>
    Coil packs II (High resistance bad, Lower the better)<o:p></o:p>
    O2 sensor IIIII (They Last 60,000 Miles)<o:p></o:p>
    CAT I<o:p></o:p>

I,m going to replace all my vacum pipes as the one from vanos is slightly weak and worn

then ill try replacing the O2 sensor

I also have a bit of oil on my plugs which i assum is the valve cover gasket needs replacing

My CAT could be worn to as it used to be a 4 Pot 1.8 but now has a 2.0 6 pot in it so it could have desstroyed it

Ill also clean my crank shaft sensor

Great Info in here Guys ill keep you informed as to my problem diagnostics

Cheers Tim

My Cars
    92 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Poole
    Ive read the Whole thread today

I have an idle issue too & sometimes exsperiance when on the motorway the car will missfire/lag for a few seconds then pick up again after doing this when stopped it will rev by itself between 2k rpm and 3.5k rpm.

Just to recap what people have done to fix this problem

The number of I's tell you how many people have changed that particular item and curred there problem.

Crank Sensor IIII<?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Vacum Pipe I (Pipe from Vanos to inlet)<o:p></o:p>
    Coil packs II (High resistance bad, Lower the better)<o:p></o:p>
    O2 sensor IIIII (They Last 60,000 Miles)<o:p></o:p>
    CAT I<o:p></o:p>

I,m going to replace all my vacum pipes as the one from vanos is slightly weak and worn

then ill try replacing the O2 sensor

I also have a bit of oil on my plugs which i assum is the valve cover gasket needs replacing

My CAT could be worn to as it used to be a 4 Pot 1.8 but now has a 2.0 6 pot in it so it could have desstroyed it

Ill also clean my crank shaft sensor

Great Info in here Guys ill keep you informed as to my problem diagnostics

Cheers Tim
    tim how did you clean your crank sensor? with what cleaner?

My Cars
    92 325i
    i have some progress with my car i brought it to bmw they did a fuel pressure test (wasn't the case) and then he plugged it in on the diagnostics nothing there as well. i asked the mechanic what he would do if it was his car. he said to start with the mass air flow. so for the fun of it i unplugged it and drove around with it unplugged and the car drove the same with it unplugged so i have a feeling its the mass air flow meter. i also found a shop that rebuilds those in my area for 140$ cdn so im happy about that. @ BMW that part cost 754$

My Cars
    BMW318i s coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by tomt30273
    VANOS is a system that changes valve timing. The 4 cylinder cars don't have it.
    Thankyou

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Guys,

I just bought a used MAF today. Will switch it in as soon as I get it.

Tim Poole, if it's alright with you I'm going to copy what you wrote and put it in the first post so people know what's been tried.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    93 325is, 86 318i, 92 626, 88 B2200, 93 VW Passat
    Yep, new O2 with about 5k miles on it. Is there a way to check it with a multimeter or something?
    A good code reader will show you the voltage fluxuation of the o2 with the car running.

I have had my car up on jacks for a couple months replacing various things. To combat this issue I just did a cat & resonator delete then welded in some high flow resonators (to quiet it down). I have not fired it up and/or drove it yet so I am not sure if it will help. I am going to drive it a bit then move on to replacing the o2. I am pretty convinced it has to do with cats o2's but it is just a hunch.
    I have already replaced the spark plugs which didn't do a da*n thing and valve cover gaskets would not be the issue unless oil was up to the connection (I do need one but autozone wants about 3 times more $$ than BFC vendors, so I need to wait for my next parts order).
    If my emissions theory does not cure the problem then I am heading straight for a compression test (which I will do anyway). If the compression is low then it is time for a S50.
    If none of the above fix it then I am going to a bimmer mechanic because I am tired of dumping money into guesses.

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    Just a dumb thought...real quick here: For those that replaced VCG's and/or coil packs, did you do spark plug boots as well?

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Spood
    Just a dumb thought...real quick here: For those that replaced VCG's and/or coil packs, did you do spark plug boots as well?
    Yes. Well, not new, but they were changed out.

I have the MAF covered, someone buy something else and try it. If we all try something, maybe we can find a solution.

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    I want to try crank position sensor-- hmm lemme go see how much these cost

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    Crankshaft Position Sensor, 325i/is/iC (1992-95), M3 (with 3.0 engine)
    Brand: AB Elektronik [Photo]

12-14-1-726-066-M375 $93.00

Page 9 of 103 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast