Page 4 of 103 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL bogging, hesitating, no acceleration from idle thread

My Cars
    2002 Laguna Seca Blau M3
    You have all checked the rubber bit that connects the airbox to the intake plenum for cracks correct? Screwing up the vacuum at low RPM is a big deal...will make the car run like crap.

My Cars
    Avus M3
    I had a problem similar although its hard to tell in what kind of scale we'r talking about without acctually driving eachothers car. anyways I fixed my problem by replacing a vacum hose that goes from my vanos to ... ehh I cant think of the name of that part but i got a pic.

I replaced it because a huge part of it had ...melted away.
    well that def fixed my crappy accel at low rpms. dunno if it helps anyone.

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by camiloteram
    I had a problem similar although its hard to tell in what kind of scale we'r talking about without acctually driving eachothers car. anyways I fixed my problem by replacing a vacum hose that goes from my vanos to ... ehh I cant think of the name of that part but i got a pic.

I replaced it because a huge part of it had ...melted away.
    well that def fixed my crappy accel at low rpms. dunno if it helps anyone.
    More info please! Didn't know there was a vaccuum line to VANOS. Can you get a better pic of it, and where it connects?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    BMW 318is 95

Self-Diagnostic program

I dont know if this will help anyone but I found in the chiltons manunal that all models 89-95 E30 and E36, have a self diagnostic on board system that will pull trouble codes for on the das with the check engine light. Its like a " flash " numbering system, start by turning ignition switch to on positon, engine not running, press accelerator pedal to the floor 5 times within 5 seconds, check engine light will stay on for 5 seconds, then flash once, then begin flashing the first fault code, one flash for 1, two flashes for 2, 3 for 3 and so on, after the whole code is done the light will stay on for 2.5 seconds before going to the next code. All codes are 4 digits. If you have the chiltons manual it gives you the list of trouble codes, if you dont have the book it would be best to purchase one. I ordered mines from http://www.repairmanual.com/automobiles/1995/5/316 go with the chilton there more direct.
    95 318is, auto, Burgundy, factory alloys, no mods, 104K miles

My Cars
    Avus M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dmurray14
    More info please! Didn't know there was a vaccuum line to VANOS. Can you get a better pic of it, and where it connects?

Thanks,
    Dan
    well dont even know if its the vanos, dont even know if its a vacum line, but that is what we bought at the car store, and it worked just fine. here is a better pictures, the line goes back under the third or 4th of those fuel ...injectors... if thats what they are called. its kinda hard to spot.

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Did you have to take the manifold off?
    Dan

My Cars
    Avus M3
    no i think i took off the cover of the oil filter for more room. mess around with it tommorow, check the line for holes or.. melting, i mean, if it happened to my car it can happen to any e36 ...

My Cars
    BMW 318is 95

On board self Diagnostic

I dont know if this will help anyone but I found in the chiltons manunal that all models 89-95 E30 and E36, have a self diagnostic on board system that will pull trouble codes for on the das with the check engine light. Its like a " flash " numbering system, start by turning ignition switch to on positon, engine not running, press accelerator pedal to the floor 5 times within 5 seconds, check engine light will stay on for 5 seconds, then flash once, then begin flashing the first fault code, one flash for 1, two flashes for 2, 3 for 3 and so on, after the whole code is done the light will stay on for 2.5 seconds before going to the next code. All codes are 4 digits. If you have the chiltons manual it gives you the list of trouble codes, if you dont have the book it would be best to purchase one. I ordered mines from http://www.repairmanual.com/automobiles/1995/5/316 go with the chilton there more direct.
    95 318is, auto, Burgundy, factory alloys, no mods, 104K miles

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    Yeah its pretty much known.. It should apply to all OBD I cars

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by ELLISJAY
    Why post twice? It showed up fine the first time.

Check engine light diagnostics are kind of pointless when the cehck engine light isn't on...
    Dan

My Cars
    97' 318i Sedan
    Just wanted to post that after completing the change of spark plugs, valve cover gaskets, plug seals, fuel filter, & thermostat that I'm having no cold start issues, no bogging, no hesitation, and no problems with running.

Also went back to 89 octane from 91 which I will go back up to and see if it again affects running.

My Cars
    BMW 325is, Acura 3.2TL
    I have the same problem only I think it feels starved for gas. Kind of like the injectors won't chance a flooded piston and are holding back. I've changed all the same things. My cars a 95 325is auto and it also wants to seek a gear change at 55-60 mph, especially going up a grade. What about hotter plugs?

My Cars
    '95 M3 - Mugello Rot
    Quote Originally Posted by whwiwar
    I have the same problem only I think it feels starved for gas. Kind of like the injectors won't chance a flooded piston and are holding back. I've changed all the same things. My cars a 95 325is auto and it also wants to seek a gear change at 55-60 mph, especially going up a grade. What about hotter plugs?

Hotter plugs will make the problem worse.

My Cars
    bmw 325i
    My brother was examining the car today and came across this. Do you guys think that this could be the source of the car running badly? It appears to be a vacum leak.

1992 BMW 325i
    MODIFICATIONS
    AA Chip
    UUC System U v.2 exhaust
    15'' Kicker Solobaric L7 running on 1200W JBL amp
    Alpine CDA-9815
    18x8.5 ADR M Sports
    H&R Cup Kit

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    My 92 has the same rips in the same place.. I put black tape around it till I can get another boot..

My Cars
    bmw 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantisvip
    My 92 has the same rips in the same place.. I put black tape around it till I can get another boot..
    Really? hmmm...so thats makes two of us with the same problem. this rubber boot i hear is cheap from bavauto. I will replace it and see if it fixes or improves teh situation.

1992 BMW 325i
    MODIFICATIONS
    AA Chip
    UUC System U v.2 exhaust
    Alpine CDA-9815
    18x8.5 ADR M Sports
    H&R Cup Kit

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    My idle is really flaky sometimes especially on hot days.. But then again my 92s idle has always been a little strange.. Sometimes its perfect and sometimes it feels like a chevy block with racing cams.. Whats funny is my rpms never move but the car will feel like its backfiring or missing once in a while.. post how much you wind up paying for that boot.. My local dealer said he has to order it which is why I have not gotten around to doing it..

My Cars
    bmw 325i
    bavauto lists it on their website for 18.95. Don't buy it from the dealership, they prob. want almost double that.

1992 BMW 325i
    MODIFICATIONS
    AA Chip
    UUC System U v.2 exhaust
    Alpine CDA-9815
    18x8.5 ADR M Sports
    H&R Cup Kit

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    Yea they want like $35.. Thanks for the heads up

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Wow, that is definitely a problem...

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    This could cause idle problems, but it isn't a big enough deal to make the car run poorly. It will just make a lean condition at idle. The MAF won't read some of the air pulled in by the ISV, thus creating the lean condition.

Keep us posted though.
    -Chris

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    got that repaired at a local garage for $8.97...including labor...lol...they got it from napa lmao

My Cars
    2E36,E34,E38,Dak,780,V
    Here's a list of things we did to the car:
    Spark Plugs
    MAF
    Valve Cover Gasket
    Head Gasket Set
    Knock Sensor
    Thermostat seal
    Exhaust manifold gaskets
    Intake manifold gaskets
    Air filter
    Fuel Filter
    Lifters
    Valve springs (safe to 7400 limited to 7200)

Mind you I had M3 cams put in . . . so some of the things listed might not apply.

It rans like a champ. . .no loopy idle like I had before and of course no bogging and hesitation . . . but then again. . .I got different cams.

I've been driving it for about three days straight and no probs so far.

I would suggest fuel filter, air filter, plugs, clean ICV, and check for vacuum leaks . . . Make sure the car is in a good state of tune before you move on . . .
    Hope this helps!!
    -=PJ
    Strike Zero's Garage
    ==================================================
    2006 SCR-SCCA Street Mod Champion
    1982 Toyota Corolla
    1988 Volvo 780
    1993 BMW 318is: Gas Sipper
    1993 BMW 325is => 350is: Track Rat
    1994 BMW 530i + 5spd
    1997 BMW 740i: Hwy Killah!!
    1998 Honda VFR800FI: Gear Driven Cam Goodness
    2000 Dodge Dakota: V8 + 5spd = Smokey Fun
    2000 Lincoln LS V6 5spd
    2004 Pontiac GTO - RIP
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V
    "If not under warranty, live with it, or bend over and grab ankles."

My Cars
    2/91 Build NVM50
    PJ : Did you do the head gasket yourself ? If so, how hard was it and how long did it take you ?

My Cars
    2E36,E34,E38,Dak,780,V
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantisvip
    PJ : Did you do the head gasket yourself ? If so, how hard was it and how long did it take you ?
    Not that brave yet. . . .My Mechanic did all cam and head work. . .I did the easy stuff
    -=PJ
    Strike Zero's Garage
    2006 SCR-SCCA Street Mod Champion
    1982 Toyota Corolla
    1988 Volvo 780
    1993 BMW 318is: Gas Sipper
    1993 BMW 325is => 350is: Track Rat
    1994 BMW 530i + 5spd
    1997 BMW 740i: Hwy Killah!!
    1998 Honda VFR800FI: Gear Driven Cam Goodness
    2000 Dodge Dakota: V8 + 5spd = Smokey Fun