Page 10 of 103 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL bogging, hesitating, no acceleration from idle thread

My Cars
    BMW E36 320i
    I replaced my Valve Cover Gasket yesterday it has made it better when i have foot of the gas and then re apply it alot smoother but i still get an irregular idle it jumps about by its self sometimes reving from 1.5k to 2.5-3.5k rpm

I need to replace the sparks and coilpack leads (spark plug stem) and see how that goes

I havent yet cleaned the crank shaft sensor but will do over the weekend with some carb cleaner or something

I'm thinking the idle is due to me having no carbon canister at the moment or it could be the O2 sensor before the Cat as its a bit bent

Ill keep you guys up to date as and when i figure things out

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by a32guy
    Crankshaft Position Sensor, 325i/is/iC (1992-95), M3 (with 3.0 engine)
    Brand: AB Elektronik [Photo]

12-14-1-726-066-M375 $93.00
    You already tried VANOS, you have a stored credit

MAF comes tomorrow...not expecting much, but at least it will be something we cross off at the very least.
    Dan

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Guys... I was messing around today and I think I made an important discovery. Those of you with this problem, go UNPLUG your MAF. Drive the car. Tell me if you notice anything.

I just did this...apparently, unplugging the MAF is supposed to make the car drive a lot worse, since it's "guessing" at the amount of air coming in. I thought for me, there would be no change if it was bad. It drove BETTER! None of the bogging or backfiring, and was nice and linear up to around 5.5k, where it just fell off (I'm assuming this is a built-in for the "limp home" mode).

Again, can't be certain, but I should have a better idea tomorrow when I get another MAF. I'll keep you guys updated. Hopefully, we're one step closer...

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    Dan this sounds promising.... KEEP US POSTED!!!

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by a32guy
    Dan this sounds promising.... KEEP US POSTED!!!
    Will do. Took it out for a longer drive tonight. Still a lot better, but I can feel the misfire every once in a while, but that could also be part of the limp-home mode. Whether or not it is the MAF, I feel like this confirms it has to do with air/vacuum since it IS making a difference. I just hope it is the MAF so we can all get over this.

It's funny, I disconnected the MAF while the car was running, everything changed instantly. I could hear the engine settle down, the exhaust note change, etc. Plugged it back in, the car almost conks out...

I'll keep you all updated!

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    Argh...too cold and dark out right now, I'll have to wait until tomorrow after work. Dan, if this solves the problem, I'll have to like, I dunno...mail you a beer or something.

EDIT: Did you check the sensor voltage and whatnot?

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by Spood
    Argh...too cold and dark out right now, I'll have to wait until tomorrow after work. Dan, if this solves the problem, I'll have to like, I dunno...mail you a beer or something.

EDIT: Did you check the sensor voltage and whatnot?

Did not check the sensor voltage...just unplugged it and felt the difference. Again, no conclusive evidence until tomorrow, but I'll keep everyone updated!

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    325is
    SAme thing happened to me and i change my o2 sensor and it solved the probleme...

Try to read your ses code.

put car at ON(dont start it) and press fast 5 times on the gas pedal. it will give you your code.

Gave mine :S

My Cars
    BMW 335d, MB gl 350cdi
    Hey I jut changed my VANOS solenoid, plugs to iridiums , fan delete and new valve cover gasket with minimal improvement.
    I am now convinced that the problem is the catalytic converter. These eventually clog up and exhaust just won't flow past them. This is especially true of the 325is with their older ceramic substrate cats ( newer 328s have metallic substrate.) I got a presure gauge meter and will measure it at the O2 sensor; if its high I will change the cats. Let you know how it turns out.

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by calves2997
    Hey I jut changed my VANOS solenoid, plugs to iridiums , fan delete and new valve cover gasket with minimal improvement.
    I am now convinced that the problem is the catalytic converter. These eventually clog up and exhaust just won't flow past them. This is especially true of the 325is with their older ceramic substrate cats ( newer 328s have metallic substrate.) I got a presure gauge meter and will measure it at the O2 sensor; if its high I will change the cats. Let you know how it turns out.
    Sounds good - if we couldn't figure it out to be anything with the sensors, that was going to be my next guess, especially since I barely passed emissions...

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Wish I had something to add...the mailman didn't drop off the MAF today. With any luck, maybe it will come tomorrow...
    Dan

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    You know, he didn't drop off my VCG either. Bastards. I paid for 3 day shipping...why is it not here in 3 days?!?

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    Dan-
    I pulled the plug on my MAF and fired her up... The idle just bounced up and down, almost dying every time on the down-swing. I didn't drive anywhere, I was a little nervous about the motor quitting at an intersection or something.

EDIT: I strapped on my balls and went for a drive. Hung jury. In 1st and 2nd gear, it seemed fine...better even. Put it in 3rd at low speed and got on it, and it bogged. I'll compare it to driving with the MAF connected when we go to Burger Queen here in a minute. I have a theory, which I will post when I get back.
    Cheers~
    Last edited by Spood; 02-03-2006 at 08:00 PM.

My Cars
    1992 325i e36 ~ 1985 318i ~ 1995 Audi A6 Quattro
    This is all such good info...I cant believe that BMW has never posted a bulletin or recall notice. Even when I ask my ever so expensive mechanic refrences they are not sure of any particular problem. I have been posting all week w/Pelican Formum and there are several guys on there that are having the same problem ~ not the idle problem but the surging issue. Some people do not realise the difference but I have never experienced this with any other car. I will be anxiosly waiting to hear from everyone as they get back to par, so far I am narrowing down to MAF/Crank Sensor/CAT (which I thought may have a problem to begin with) My exhaust seemed preety throaty but it still had good flow through the exhaust. Has anyone experienced issues such as defog working only when the car is running unnoticible, unloading at higher engine speed, decrease in mileage (MPG) I am currently getting 17mpg but I dont think I am in as severe of a position as some. With over 200k on the car I expected to replace some parts but not the whole car Thanks everyone for such informative responses and I will be standing by to hear what fixes work

Mike

My Cars
    1992 325i e36 ~ 1985 318i ~ 1995 Audi A6 Quattro
    Anyone in specific try testing the FI Temp Sensorsor, camshaft position sensor, coils, and MAF meter...I dont know how to test these and have yet to get my Bentley Repair Guide. I want to test all aspects because it looks as if it will cost over $700 just to buy a new aftermarket CAT...cant I have a pass thru put on til I have to smog again? I will get a crappy one for smog purposes from a Pick-n-Pull and rig up a stealth swap out setup rather than buy a new one if this will continue to be a problem. Also the MAF isn't cheap either but I feel that the two are very dependent on each other...bad air flow thru the system will produce richer FI and in turn leave deposits that will plug up the CAT and foul the 02...at least thats my opinion.

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    OK, for some reason tonight I just started to feel like it was the cats. I think mine smell, though I'm not quite sure what bad cats smell like. And I'm just on the verge of failing emissions...

The thing that gets me is that the car will run like a dream when it's started cold - I couldn't believe it, I could dump the clutch at 3k and get some tire spin (usually just get massive bogging) and the car is nice and liner. Sure enough, as it warms up it starts running like shit. This makes me thing it's something temp sensitive...which would certainly be the cat.

Anyway, hopefully the MAF will come tomorrow so I can rule this out. Next up will be the cat, and if that doesn't do anything, I'm spent and she goes to the mechanic...

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    Wait, if it's the cat(s), wouldn't it be the other way around? I mean, if the cat is cold...isn't it working the least efficiently? Or, in other words, if it's working well when it's cold, why would it be worse once it's hot? (I was brainstorming w/ my roommate...I'm not sure if what I just typed made any sense)

My Cars
    98 M3 S52, 95 318i conv
    I have only owned my 95' 325i for about a week. So far the only pattern I can find is ambient temp related. When the ambient temp is chilly, say below 50 degrees F, the car seems fine and is powerful. Once it warms up outside it begins to lag and on a very warm day it hesitates at take-off and is just plain sluggish. I was told the fuel pressure regulator may be the cause. I was informed it has a tendency to get warm and lean out the fuel to the rail. The car goes lean and loses power. I ordered one from my dealer and it should be here on Tuesday. I will let you know how it goes!

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    Wait, if it's the cat(s), wouldn't it be the other way around? I mean, if the cat is cold...isn't it working the least efficiently? Or, in other words, if it's working well when it's cold, why would it be worse once it's hot? (I was brainstorming w/ my roommate...I'm not sure if what I just typed made any sense)
    Yeah, I don't know...seems like what you say makes sense. This is getting old, huh...
    Dan

My Cars
    98 M3 S52, 95 318i conv
    Very old indeed and I have only owned her for a week! Ha!
    BTW, I checked at the local BMW auto salvage yard and they checked.....every single 2.5 from an E36 was missing the fuel pressure regulator...... Now, either there is a theif that likes the smell of fuel, or others have found this to be a repair. Then again, maybe they just were lucky enough to find used ones to try before forking out $75 at the dealer for one......
    Jerry
    95' 325i

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    I feel like the key here should be that the hesitation seems to go away for everyone after 2500RPM. What the heck happens up to or at 2500RPM?!?!

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    I feel like the key here should be that the hesitation seems to go away for everyone after 2500RPM. What the heck happens up to or at 2500RPM?!?!
    See for me, although it happens around the same time, it's not necessarily the same point. I think that's just the point where it gets its act together...
    Dan

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    What do you suppose it's doing to get its act together though? Proper A/F mixture? Higher fuel pressure? I think maybe I'll just strap a JATO rocket to my car...

My Cars
    2013 M3, 1993 325is
    What do you suppose it's doing to get its act together though? Proper A/F mixture? Higher fuel pressure? I think maybe I'll just strap a JATO rocket to my car...
    Haha...I don't know. My guess would be that once the load is lightened (it's hardest getting a car to roll from a stop) its easier on the engine...again, not sure though...

Dan
    Dan

My Cars
    '02 330i, '07 SV650N
    My original thought, which I now assume is way off-base, is that the higher oil pressure at low RPM+large throttle opening was forcing oil into the spark plug wells and causing some misfiring. I guess that's kind of a stretch. When my roomie rode in my car today, he said it felt like a drivetrain problem instead of an engine problem. I doubt that is the case, but an interesting observation nonetheless.

Page 10 of 103 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast