Thread: 95 325i overheating

My Cars
    1995 325i convertible

95 325i overheating

Hi Guys -

had a search around and ive come to a number of conclusions, but keen to hear your input.

i have a 95 325i convertible.

the car has been running perfectly for yonks, yesterday take it for a drive and notice the temp creaping past the mid point. normally it heats up to the middle of the temp dial and never goes any further.

anyway, im driving along and i see it get close to the red mark, then into the red, so i pull over and turn the car off. i let it cool down and limp it home, having to stop another time when it gets into the red. It seems under load the temp may be getting hotter, at idle sometimes the temp would lower.

Ever since i've had the car i have done basic service every 6 months, I've never noticed dripping oil on the ground or coolant.

When i got home and the car cooled down i checked my coolant and it was at the required level. I checked my oil cap and no white marks and - the fan seems to be going fine when engine idling. I'm not very mechanically minded, so trying to figure out what may be the problem.

Appreciate any opinions you may have, or how i can diagnose the problem further?

cheers
    dave.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    You have stuck thermostat, replace it.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328is
    Wait a second, don't settle on just that. My car lost all its coolant and it was said to be that turns out its my headgasket and fan clutch. Im not sure how your car is built. But i would make sure for everything else.

My Cars
    1995 325i convertible
    Hi

are you sure its thermostat?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Thermostat or water pump. If you aren't sure how old they are replace them both. Its very cheap insurance for a car with a well documented weak cooling system.

You want that cooling system in top condition as you guys head into your summer season.

My Cars
    1995 325i convertible
    turned out the Viscous Fan stopped working, which then stuffed up the radiator causing it to leak very slightly (not noticeably), and the thermostat was also shot.

So replacing all parts and spending plenty of $$, its all good.

I could of got away with just replacing the fan and thermostat - and the car would have stopped overheating, but obviously driving around with a leaking radiator is just plain stupid
    Last edited by dave85; 09-22-2011 at 09:09 PM.