Thread: N00bie Wants to get into racing(WA), need advice!

My Cars
    2002 5spd 330i

N00bie Wants to get into racing(WA), need advice!

Hi guys, I wanted to post on here because you guys seem very knowledgeble (although awfully harsh to begginers). Basically I'm 23, been driving manual for about 6 years. I have no formal experience, but I also have no ego FYI...I dont think I am awesome or anything like that. Before I even considered getting into racing, I wanted to learn and perfect basic car control. I learned how to heel toe, counter steer, some about weight transfer....lift throttle oversteer, shifting the load to the front via braking etc....However I have absolutely zero experience in proper line taking, and tracking the car (outside of gran turismo lol).

My question is this....what should I go for first? What is a good place to start? Should i go to KART school? Autocross?? BMWCCA? Weekend track school? I'd like to think that I have enough experience to not go to the basic teenager safety course that BMWCCA offers, but then again I don't want to assume.....Anyways, any advice or help would be greately appreciated.

My Cars
    ?
    Hmmm..car control is a good place to start. I really like the Bondurant car control programs. If it were me, I'd look at budget and what you're looking to get out of that budget. Put it all down on paper and see what you come up with.

My Cars
    98 M3, 93 325is, 2011 X5
    What/where do you want to race? Formula/open-wheel cars? Spec Miata? BMW CCA Club Racing? Answering that question may, in part, help you figure out where to get started.

Based on your zero track experience, I would highly recommend some sort of school (there's a separate thread on that, I believe) first. Then get as much track time as possible. *Then* consider going racing.

My path was like this: I started out autocrossing, then went to my first track school. I was hooked (to put it mildly ). I then spent the next 2-1/2 years getting as much seat time as I could, literally going to the track every 2-3 weeks during 1999 & 2000 (boy, do I miss the "Tech Boom", but that's another story). Once I had become an Advanced student, the next logical step was going racing. Got my BMW CCA license and haven't looked back.

Granted, I questioned my decision during the first couple of races (imagine being a "D"/Novice student, but driving in the "A"/Advanced group ), and despite my abysmal showing at Buttonwillow this past weekend, it's been an incredibly fun 5 years, and hope to continue for the forseeable future.

Hope that helps,
    Jim

My Cars
    2002 5spd 330i
    Thanks for the replies, I guess I should clarify. I do not want to get a dedicated track car just yet, I want to get track experience first. I have a budget of lets say 2-3g's set aside for that....My goal is to do racing eventually(ie dedicated car), not immediately. I do not feel that I am ready for that yet.

I just don't know where to start....Should I take my own car to the track and sit with an instructor? Should I learn the basics by doing cart racing? Should I go to a driving school? Do local BMWCCA events??....I have done autocross only ONCE, and although, granted i had absolutely no idea what I was doing at the time, I did not enjoy it THAT much....

My Cars
    ?
    With 2-3K in mind, I'd start at a pro school like Bondurant. After you get 2 or 3 days there, sign up for a BMW CCA school.

And, try to squeeze some autocross in to start getting a seat fo the pants feel for the car and how it reacts to different inputs

My Cars
    98 MZ3, 01 325iT
    If there is a kart track near you, do some research and buy a good used kart. Go racing for a year or so and chase the points. You'll learn more in that year or two than people racing or doing DE do in 5 years. I guarantee it.

You have to chase the points (think beyond just the race you're in). You will learn control, race craft, when to be aggressive and when it's best just to take what you have in hand. You will learn preparation. You will learn your own driving style. And you will learn about set-up.
    George Roffe
    98 M Roadster
    01 325iT

My Cars
    Torque Monster
    Russell Racing... since you're left coast
    Cheap and reliable isn't fast.
    Cheap and fast isn't reliable.
    Fast and reliable isn't cheap.

Whatever tomorrow brings, I'll be there...

My Cars
    '98 M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by k-dog
    My question is this....what should I go for first? What is a good place to start? Should i go to KART school? Autocross?? BMWCCA? Weekend track school?
    I'm also from the Seattle area. I think it depends on what you want to do. If you want to race right away and have a blast doing it, buy a kart. Go down to the Monroe or the Spanaway track and watch the kart races and ask around. The kart racers are always trying to get new blood into racing and depending on the kart class you choose, you may be able to afford one right away.

I started in a Rotax kart, then I started doing track days in my car, then I went to Russell Racing at Infineon, then Proformance Racing school up here and now I'm racing an E36. My budget was a bit higher but if I had to do it on less money and wanted to have a blast and get up to speed fast, I'd stick with a kart. Even if you just track/autocross your car you'll end up spending more than running a kart (on tires, brake pads, and stuff that breaks). When your budget allows you to start racing cars, having kart experience will put you way ahead of most of the beginning drivers.

-Greg

My Cars
    98 MZ3, 01 325iT
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreGs
    When your budget allows you to start racing cars, having kart experience will put you way ahead of most of the beginning drivers.
    Boy howdy! (redneck for "I couldn't agree more")
    George Roffe
    98 M Roadster
    01 325iT

My Cars
    e39
    try a bmwcca HPDE 1st. it's not very expensive, $200-400, you'd use yor own car and have an instructor. Your instructor was like you when he started, he'll give you all the details. also autox is great at learning concept and it's beginner friendly.

I wouldn't suggest a pro school unless you just have $$$ to burn. In our local region we can always see which drivers got their license through a pro school. they are the guys have have never passed in a corner or done real race start (we go 4 wide into corner 1).
    When you subsidize poverty and failure, you get more of both. – James Dale Davidson, National Taxpayers Union

www.allenskillicorn.com

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Cosmos Black, 1992 Toyota 4runner
    Since you are in Seattle:

http://www.bmwpugetsound.com/
    Click "driving schools," sign up for the novice day in the fall, best $75 you will spend. After you take that you will be cleared for regular track days. BMW CCA runs at Bremerton and Pacific Raceways in Auburn.

If you want to spend a bit more and want lots of one on one instruction, contact http://www.proformanceraceschool.com/ you can run your own car or pay more and run one of their spec cars. They also run down at PR in Auburn.
    1995 E36 M3 Cosmos/Dove grey
    Euro-floating rotors/Axxis Ultimates/Stoptech SS lines
    E39 M5 trunk lip spoiler, AA exhaust, GC RTAB shims/GC RSMs
    Euro airbox and snorkel/540 HFM/24# injectors/JimC chip/BW intake boot
    X-brace, UUC tranny mounts w/TMEs, ZKWs

My Cars
    2013 ///M3 ZCP

My Cars
    04 Imola M3
    We have a DE coming up on 7/10 at PR. Come by and check it out. Get some rides from the instructors and see what its all about. You'll have a blast!!
    17 Alpine White M2 Performance Edition (1 of 150), 04 Imola M3, 99 Cosmos M3, 97 Dakar M3

Mostly stocks