Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i've got some friends looking to buy a 740 or 540 which is better?

My Cars
    95 m3, 03 X5, 06 X3

i've got some friends looking to buy a 740 or 540 which is better?

some friends of mine are looking at a 97 740i or a 97 540i. both are automatic with around 50k miles and are arounfd $27k. the main diff is the 540 has the navigation sys. which one of these is a better buy? i told them to have bmw shops check out both cars and run the carfax on them. any other issues with a 5 or 7? thanks.
    #71 SM
    04 Silver Grey M3
    95 Arctic Silver M3
    03 X5 3.0L Titanium Silver
    07 GX470- Silver

Molon Labe...
    Excellence is a habit, not an act.

My Cars
    2003 530i
    if they have kids, 740i; if they don't have kids, 540i. both are very nice cars.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL

Cool

All things being approximately equal, price, miles, etc. (except for Nav)... then the '97 740i is a better choice, whether they have kids or not. It's just a more prestigous vehicle, being the company's top of the line.

That being said... the 7'er, like all big luxury cars, Merc, Lexus, Jag, etc., has high maintenace costs. Also, make sure they get an after-market warranty, if not CPO'ed, which I doubt at that ~$27K price. Unless they are into DIY like me, which I doubt.

A couple things to have checked would include the radiator neck (pressure check), cats, digital display pixels, HVAC steeper motors and it probably needs a complete brake job with ~50K miles on it. Good luck to your friend.

AD: Stop by the 7-Series Forum some time for more info.
    Last edited by MDabney; 05-18-2002 at 01:20 PM.
    ACS Front Spoiler | Bavarian Autosport Strut Bar | Bilstein HD Struts | Dinan Cold Air Intake | Dinan Stage II Software
    Eisenmann High Performance Exhaust | H&R Stage II Sport Springs | Mobile Video & Bass Upgrades.

My Cars
    M5, E61
    As for maintenance, I doubt the two will be dissimilar.
    They are after all - same basic platform and same engine and tranny. So, you're looking at (mechanically speaking) roughly the same car.

When it comes to hauling, space, comfort, utility - the 7 wins hands down. It has more creature comforts, it's nicer for rear-seat and front seat passengers. It carries more pinache in my opinion as well.

The 5 is more sporty, MUST be purchased with the 6spd (otherwise, why not just buy a 7 ) and is generally smaller in almost every dimension.

But the gas mileage will be better with the 5 because it doesn't have 600 extra pounds to carry.

My Cars
    M5, E61
    oh yeah, stop by the 7 forum for a more thorough analysis by Dr's mdabney and umnitza

My Cars
    02 m roadster
    e38? 7 series, the 95-2001's don't have very good resale value at all, e39's have much better resale value, but the 7 is the top of line for bmw, and damn are they nice, but have them drive both of 'em and c wut they like, I think the 7 could handle pretty damn well, but it's kinda heavier than the 5, so i dunno
    BALLERWERKS

My Cars
    95 m3, 03 X5, 06 X3
    thanks for the input so far. it seems to be somewhat biased due to the 7 series moderators of the board but it's all good. so umnitza and mdabney, what you guys are saying is that 740 is alot better than the 540 due to it being the flagship. now my thinking is that since it is the flagship, it has all of the hi-tech options that are sure to breakdown after a few years. i'm not against hi-tech cars, it's just that i know bmw electronics crap out after awhile. is there anything with the 7's that they should watch out for? my friends who are looking at the cars are not diy'ers. the are used to japanese cars and mercedes, no bmw's. they were interested in an older 911 (993) but they wanted something more practical and luxurious. they have no kids yet and are getting married next year.
    #71 SM
    04 Silver Grey M3
    95 Arctic Silver M3
    07 GX470- Silver

Molon Labe...

My Cars
    8 Wheels, 12 Cylinders
    I'm all about the 540...Unless you need to lug around the kids, their soccer teams, your wife, her bf, the neighbors, their dog, and the local HS marching band all at once...Why buy a bigger car? I already had a car the size of a 540 and it was plenty.

YMMV

'87 325is - 220k
    '93 325i - 161k
    '05 G35 Sedan 6MT

RIP - '98 M3/4 66k - RIP

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL

Cool

Originally posted by BJO
    ... is there anything with the 7's that they should watch out for? ... they were interested in an older 911 (993) but they wanted something more practical and luxurious. they have no kids yet and are getting married next year.
    You might want to re-read my first post on what things to "watch out for"... plus 7-Series = Luxury but you cannot get "practical" in either the 5 or 7. As I said above, all luxury cars generally cost more to maintain, it's the just price you have to pay for...

I'm sure they will be happy with either car, but the only thing in the 540i's favor would be if it was paired with a six-speed, imho.

EDIT: Both of these cars are "High Tech" cars, by the way. umm, I think you said the 5 was the one with the optional Nav I beleve... :
    Last edited by MDabney; 05-19-2002 at 09:27 AM.
    ACS Front Spoiler | Bavarian Autosport Strut Bar | Bilstein HD Struts | Dinan Cold Air Intake | Dinan Stage II Software
    Eisenmann High Performance Exhaust | H&R Stage II Sport Springs | Mobile Video & Bass Upgrades.

My Cars
    M5, E61
    the information display has a habit of playing hide and go seek.
    But the 5 uses the same information display.

In effect, the 5 is almost identical in features, gadgets, etc.

You can't really go wrong with either car. Mercedes are just as finicky as the BMWs. I've heard nothing but maintenance woes from two friends that have them. On the other hand, most Mercedes owners aren't as finicky about these woes, so you don't hear about it.

Since your friends are getting married, it won't be too long before they MAY decide that kids are what they want, maybe they'll want to trade up or trade out...but at least with the 7, they'll have the option to just keep the car

If I had to do it again, I'd have purchased the iL

My Cars
    95 m3, 03 X5, 06 X3
    oops my bad mdabney i should have reread your post. your advice and umnitza's have been very helpful. i'll send my friends this page as a links so they can see for themselves. thanks again.
    #71 SM
    04 Silver Grey M3
    95 Arctic Silver M3
    07 GX470- Silver

Molon Labe...

My Cars
    BMW 330i
    Originally posted by DSK M3/4
    if they have kids, 740i; if they don't have kids, 540i. both are very nice cars.
    I agree with him.
    2002 Steel Gray 330i Sport

~19" MVR Magnum wrapped with 235/35/19 BFG GeForce T/A KDW
    ~Clear front corner/sidemarker kit
    ~Red/Clear Taillight Kit
    ~AC Schnitzer Pedals
    ~Tinted windows
    ~Clarion VRX935 In-Dash Screen
    ~xtant X1044 10" Sub
    ~xtant A6001T Amp
    *137.9 db at dash
    *153.8 db at box

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL

Cool

No problem BJO, as long as your friends buy BMW, I'm sure they'll be happy.

Mike D.

Originally posted by BJO
    oops my bad mdabney i should have reread your post. your advice and umnitza's have been very helpful. i'll send my friends this page as a links so they can see for themselves. thanks again.

My Cars
    '05 997 C2, '15 JKU
    I don't mind the 7er out on the road, but they always seem to be too big in town, just a step behind in reflex to an E39.... I think the E39 is beautiful, although the right 7er is even more so.

I am also enchanted with the 5ers manual trans, not available on the 7.

I'd buy the 5 (thats what I say now....), but unless they really are "enthusiast" drivers, the 7 would likely suit them better.
    this space reserved for pissing off liberals...

ronthebabboonslayer: "helmet guy's post is far from polluting"

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Originally posted by dasMafia
    I don't mind the 7er out on the road, but they always seem to be too big in town, just a step behind in reflex to an E39.... I think the E39 is beautiful, although the right 7er is even more so.

I am also enchanted with the 5ers manual trans, not available on the 7.

I'd buy the 5 (thats what I say now....), but unless they really are "enthusiast" drivers, the 7 would likely suit them better.
    I agree and disagree about the 7 being a handful in the city.
    The handful comes when you're trying to park it in SF's sh**** little street parking areas. But just driving through town, I have no problem swinging the 7 around like it was the ///M

My wife, doesn't do this as much, so she agrees with your assessment that it's too much car for a city driver But we're talking SF. SF is known for narrow, tight, windy, and ill lighted streets.

My Cars
    '05 997 C2, '15 JKU
    and I drive a Z3 that would fit in an E38s trunk.... everthing is relative.
    this space reserved for pissing off liberals...

ronthebabboonslayer: "helmet guy's post is far from polluting"

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL
    Originally posted by dasMafia
    and I drive a Z3 that would fit in an E38s trunk.... everthing is relative.
    Sorry, you won't fit Mafia... I already reserved mine for SilvyinLA and her Z3. You can try 'nitza's trunk...

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i Sport (84k miles)

Need more info on the 5er

If the 5er is not a "Sport", then you should probably just get the 7 because both will handle like a luxury car and you might as well have the big one.

If the 5er is a Sport, then the two cars are not even comparable. The Sport has a 3.15:1 rear axle ratio, low profile tires, and sport suspension. Then it is up to the purchaser if they want the rougher ride of the sport and all of the handling benefits that come with it, or the luxo-cruiser ride of the 7 series. At least that was my mode of thinking when I was shopping around.
    Later,
    Dave

E39 - 1998 540iA Sport (11/97 Production)
    E30 - 1989 M3 (44k miles)
    1979 Triumph TR7, still have my first car ;-)
    Past cars:
    E21 - 1980 320i (sold at 130k)
    E23 - 1986 735i
    I am a BMW Car Club of America member, are you? http://www.bmwcca.org/

My Cars
    M5, E61
    Course then you're talking about 7 series sport models with there's the sport version of that - with its own 3.15:1 ratio But, of course, it wasn't available for two more years.

Oh and sorry, my kids and wife have dibs on the trunk:
    stroller (two at times)
    high chair
    two duffels of clothes
    blankets
    toys
    diaper changing utilities
    camera/video equipment
    Shopping bag of something or other

My Cars
    95 m3, 03 X5, 06 X3
    thanks again for the info guys. my friends drove the 540 and they really like it since it's alot smaller and easier to drive. they are looking for a 98 or 99 540i maybe with the sport pkg. is that even an option in the auto 540's?
    #71 SM
    04 Silver Grey M3
    95 Arctic Silver M3
    07 GX470- Silver

Molon Labe...

My Cars
    '97 328is
    wow, I had the same option a few months ago, a 99 540iA (auto) Sport, or a 98 740iL, same price.. as you can tell from mjy sig, I went with the 540iA

yes the sport package is avaliable on the auto, the 6 spd comes with sport package standard

I would try to opt for a 540iA sport, you get the radical 17", sport suspension, steptronic transmission (vs the standard 5spd w/o sport mode), and a Motorsport steering wheel

My Cars
    Tesla MS
    I was in the same situation as AlphaLead but I went for the 740, haha. Happy with the E38 so far. I used to whip around in my E36 M3/4 but now I just cruise in the 7.

Complaints:
    Heavy Car
    Gas Mileage
    Shady Cup holders

Praises:
    Easy to drive
    Total cruiser
    Comfortable
    Powerful 4.4L

Next Mods:
    Alpine IVA-C800, TV Tuner, Xbox
    Crystal lights all around
    Dinan Intake
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NuG; 05-21-2002 at 02:01 PM.

Current - 01 330CI
    Former Pilot of the following
    E36 M3/2 CosmosSchwarz- gone 7/08
    E38 740il Oxford Grün - gone 7/04
    E36 M3/4 Artic Silber - gone 6/01

CCA# 187884 since 5/00

My Cars
    M5, E61
    When you look at 740i Sports (99 and up) and 540iA Sports - you're talking about VERY similar animals.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either.

Nug,

Are your wheels MParallel replicas? They look like 18X9 and 18X8s. My wife's car has replicas, but they are 18X8 all around.

My Cars
    Tesla MS
    Umnitza: Yes they are replicas but they are only 18x8 all around. I'd love to upgrade the rears to 18x9, they only cost $300 each. How is the finish on your replica's? Mine seem to be a little dull.

-NuG

Current - 01 330CI
    Former Pilot of the following
    E36 M3/2 CosmosSchwarz- gone 7/08
    E38 740il Oxford Grün - gone 7/04
    E36 M3/4 Artic Silber - gone 6/01

CCA# 187884 since 5/00

My Cars
    M5, E61
    yep! Mine have been on there for almost two years and have been washed with nothing but car wash and polished with some light Meguiars (sp?) and nothing but little scratches and dulling of the finish

I guess, I'll have to take them to a shop to have them refinished, if I decide that I care enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast