Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: i've got some friends looking to buy a 740 or 540 which is better?

My Cars
    '97 328is
    Originally posted by NuG
    I was in the same situation as AlphaLead but I went for the 740, haha. Happy with the E38 so far. I used to whip around in my E36 M3/4 but now I just cruise in the 7.

Complaints:
    Heavy Car
    Gas Mileage
    Shady Cup holders

Praises:
    Easy to drive
    Total cruiser
    Comfortable
    Powerful 4.4L

Next Mods:
    Alpine IVA-C800, TV Tuner, Xbox
    Crystal lights all around
    Dinan Intake
    werid, most of your pros on your 740iL were cons on my list:

I thought it was harder to drive than the 5'er, especially parking, the 540 was actually more comfortable (16 way comfort seats) (in front anyways), I was unimpressed with the 740's power (of couse, I test drove it right after I test drove the 540, same engine, +~400 pounds).

The main reasons I went for the 5'er were because that a) It's as comfortable as the 7 in the front (which is all I care about), b) Lighter, more fuel efficent, c) more powerful relative to the 7, and d) a 16 year old driving a 7'er just invites trouble :

My Cars
    04 Imola M3
    Bj..tell your friend to get the M5. ..Actuallly before I bought my M3, I was looking at the 540i sport...I'm just happy I bought the M3 instead...much more fun...so when you moving to htown?
    17 Alpine White M2 Performance Edition (1 of 150), 04 Imola M3, 99 Cosmos M3, 97 Dakar M3

Mostly stocks

My Cars
    95 m3, 03 X5, 06 X3
    tony:an m5 would be nice, but my friends don't want to spend m5 money. they want something affordable since they are getting married next year. i'm starting the move to h-town this weekend. i will be going back and forth to get my stuff. i should be done by tues or so.
    #71 SM
    04 Silver Grey M3
    95 Arctic Silver M3
    03 X5 3.0L Titanium Silver
    07 GX470- Silver

Molon Labe...
    Excellence is a habit, not an act.

My Cars
    Tesla MS
    Originally posted by AlphaLead

werid, most of your pros on your 740iL were cons on my list:

I thought it was harder to drive than the 5'er, especially parking, the 540 was actually more comfortable (16 way comfort seats) (in front anyways), I was unimpressed with the 740's power (of couse, I test drove it right after I test drove the 540, same engine, +~400 pounds).

The main reasons I went for the 5'er were because that a) It's as comfortable as the 7 in the front (which is all I care about), b) Lighter, more fuel efficent, c) more powerful relative to the 7, and d) a 16 year old driving a 7'er just invites trouble :
    Cool beans. I love the roominess of the 7. The huge backseat is great and comes in real handy when the boys go out at night. The reason why I didnt get an E39 is because everyone has one! Besides I'm getting an E39 M5 when I graduate. Have fun with yours! peace

-nuG

Current - 01 330CI
    Former Pilot of the following
    E36 M3/2 CosmosSchwarz- gone 7/08
    E38 740il Oxford Grün - gone 7/04
    E36 M3/4 Artic Silber - gone 6/01

CCA# 187884 since 5/00

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL

Talking

Originally posted by AlphaLead
    ... and d) a 16 year old driving a 7'er just invites trouble :
    You are probably right but that might also apply to any car in the hands of the wrong 16 year old.
    ACS Front Spoiler | Bavarian Autosport Strut Bar | Bilstein HD Struts | Dinan Cold Air Intake | Dinan Stage II Software
    Eisenmann High Performance Exhaust | H&R Stage II Sport Springs | Mobile Video & Bass Upgrades.

My Cars
    BMW 530i
    I'd go for the 540!

Its lighter than the 740 and also quicker.... the 740 is very nice indeed, but I prefer the styling wise of the E39's. But seriously... you definitely cant go wrong with both.

I've driven both cars... in my opinion, the 5 series definitely is more nimble to move around... heh.. but that's like comparing the 3 series to the 5 series, which the 3 series wins hands down for being a more nimble car.

The 7 is quite a lot of weight to be pushin' around. I think the satisfaction of a quick midsize sedan would be the preferred choice. Plus it looks more sporty :12:

Good luck to ur friends. Let us know what happens!
    Richard

My Cars
    04 Imola M3
    BJ..we'll have to meet for drinks bf you leave town. I 'll be out of town til Tue...you still in town by then??
    17 Alpine White M2 Performance Edition (1 of 150), 04 Imola M3, 99 Cosmos M3, 97 Dakar M3

Mostly stocks

My Cars
    '97 328is
    Originally posted by NuG

Cool beans. I love the roominess of the 7. The huge backseat is great and comes in real handy when the boys go out at night. The reason why I didnt get an E39 is because everyone has one! Besides I'm getting an E39 M5 when I graduate. Have fun with yours! peace

-nuG
    that's cool. I gotta admit, I kinda do miss the emense leg room in the back. The couter point to that is that I rarely have more than 2 people ride, family trips usually take the X5. It really depends on what you need/want in a car. Werid statement about everyone having an E39, on my street, the house directly accross from us has an E28 I believe (the really old 5'er), and they're getting an E30, the house at the very end has an E34, our next door neighbor has an E36, and the guy 2 doors down has an E38, no one has an E39. (BTW, in case your'e wondering, it's a black on black 740iL Protection with gold package, and like 22" Chrome Blades, not exactly the best taste, but still nice nonetheless)

E39 M5.. *jizz*

Once again, I chose the E39 due to its sportiness (compared to the E38 anyways)... However I never unlease its full potiental, I rev above 3000rpm perhaps once a month... ok, stop taking before I start regreting my decision
    Another reason I chose the E39 was because of the restrictions my dad imposed, namely no 2 seaters (including coupes) and auto tranny. my top choices were an Acura TL-S or an auto E46... I just wouldn't feel right in an E46 auto sedan, the choice between the acura and the 5 gave me the biggest headache ever. Finally it came down to... a year ago, we chose the X5 over the MDX

My Cars
    2002 540/6, 2006 325xiT
    Have had 540's (on my second one) for a few years. No problem hauling the wife and two teenage daughters around, plenty of room. Have driven a couple of 7's, and they are very nice, but I couldn't see trading my 540 for one.

I'll put it this way: the 7 handles very nice, for a big car. The E39 540 handles very nice, period. No qualifications needed.

If you go the E39 route, try to get 01 or newer - they were improved quite a bit in 01, but they don't cost that much more. I paid $7k for my 02 540 with 6 speed manual and 130k miles a year ago, and I believe I might be able to sell it at a profit today. No, it's not for sale. Forget the M5, they are very high priced these days, they are maintenance intensive, and some of the parts are astronomically priced. I'd love to have one, I just wouldn't want to pay the price.

Otherwise, the usual maintenance caveats apply. The cooling system croaks at around 100k miles or so - replace it all: radiator, water pump, overflow bottle. Suspension bushings can get weak at 120k+, easier to just replace the thrust arms than try to press the bushings out, and the cost is about the same.

My Cars
    z3
    Think this is the oldest thread I've ever seen bumped. Something tells me that after 13 years the original poster is no longer debating which of these two cars to buy

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

323i E30 is offline ⅂!ʈө !ƨ l!ʞө ɐ ʇөlөbµouө
    My Cars
    M52 E30 touring & E91
    ^ true story

D̶i̶b̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶2̶1̶

My Cars
    m5s
    Strong bump

My Cars
    E46XI E36
    Holy necropost

My Cars
    GTS, E30
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Think this is the oldest thread I've ever seen bumped. Something tells me that after 13 years the original poster is no longer debating which of these two cars to buy
    And for $27k, the OP could buy at least 2 decent examples of each.

My Cars
    98 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by M62pwrdE38 View Post
    And for $27k, the OP could buy at least 2 decent examples of each.
    Haha! I started reading the original post before I looked at the date and the red flag went up. True story. I remember my first day on the internet.
    BMW Master Technician
    -2001 540i 6-speed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12