My Cars
    2011 BMW X5

X5 timing problems. Please help

2011 BMW X5 - N55 Motor
    VIN: 5UXZV4C58BL409421

Long story short. I bought a used X5 and within a few months the engine failed. I decided to buy a rebuilt engine and have it installed. I purchased it from someone that has a BMW shop with great reviews.

This is when the problems started. The mechanic installed the engine and it and found that the crankshaft trigger ring wasn't installed on the rebuilt engine. Therefore the mechanic removed the transmission and installed the trigger ring.

After installing the ring everything fired up fine and ran fine for about 30 seconds to a minute and then it like died and when restart had an issue with the battery got the battery replaced under warranty.

After that still having problems with trying to even get it to start and run and it was saying crank signal and plausibility issues and I had originally found the crank sensor that was installed from the engine builder was not tightened down all the way and I had tightened it down when I had did the crank trigger wheel install.

So I thought okay maybe something's bad with it so I took the one off of the old motor went through the steps of removing the intake and the starter to gain access to the sensor and replace the sensor cleared all the codes fired it back up.

Again ran for probably 30 seconds to a minute and then it's all angry again and I'm getting crankshaft sensor signal missing

If I unplug the crank sensor it will crank for a long time but it will fire up and run and limp mode which is better than how it is when it is plugged in.

Next the the mechanic checked the timing chain. He found that the timing advanced too far. He set the timing and this is what he said.

Well I got it all put back together and cleared all the codes clear adaptations and learned values fired up and it ran fine for probably a solid 5 minutes no issues and then just started to kind of idle a bit funny and then died and now I'm right back where I was before.

This where I'm at on something I thought would go smoothly. Any thoughts or suggestions on what could be going on?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved from E series 5 .. series to X5 sub forum
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!