Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY: Removing the lock from a glove box

My Cars
    Jetta

DIY: Removing the lock from a glove box

This is the sideview of the glovebox with soft eject gears.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott
    Custom watch straps for sale

FOR SALE: watch straps!!

E36 DIY: My articles are now located in the E36 DIY page

My Cars
    Jetta
    This is the back of the air vent assembly that contains the lock mechanism.
    To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine
    You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do. — Anne Lamott

My Cars
    Jetta
    Remove the hold down device with a screw driver

My Cars
    Jetta
    Remove plastic cap covering back of the lock.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Push the lower catch as though it were engaging the glove box door. It will snap closed as though it is holding the door pin. Insert your key and turn to lock position.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Insert straight pins on all four sides of the lock between the lock barrel and the plastic tabs holding it in place.

My Cars
    Jetta
    The lock barrel will slide forward out of the glove box air vent assembly.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Now it is out. Hold it gently with your hand, putting pressure on all sides of the metal lock keys. Carefully pull the key out of the barrel. As the key passes each metal catch it will push it out slightly. Make sure not to let these pieces spring out.

My Cars
    Jetta
    Wrap the lock barrel with tape to hold the metal catches in place.

My Cars
    Jetta
    the lock is now gone. To put a new lock in, simply insert the key into the lock barrel, then slide it in the front until it snaps into place.

My Cars
    '05 325xi & '07 x3 3.0si
    just curious...

why would one want to remove the lock?

My Cars
    Jetta
    Well, for example my interior was originally dove grey. I sold my glovebox and bought a new black glove box. I transfered my lock over so I could keep my matching lock set for my key. Now I just sold this glovebox and I will soon be making a package deal to sell that includes all the locks from my car with the key.

My Cars
    '05 325xi & '07 x3 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool
    Well, for example my interior was originally dove grey. I sold my glovebox and bought a new black glove box. I transfered my lock over so I could keep my matching lock set for my key. Now I just sold this glovebox and I will soon be making a package deal to sell that includes all the locks from my car with the key.
    gotcha.

it all makes sense in that scenerio. i was just racking my brain trying to figure out why anyone would go through so much trouble to remove a silly lock. lol

good writeup w/ pics, btw.

My Cars
    Jetta
    I am going to continue to make what writeups I can while I am dismantling my car.
    Tonight I am going to make an armrest and center console removal diy.
    IF anyone has any other suggestions of things they would like a write up for just let me know.

My Cars
    328is
    very detailed!
    BimmerDIY - enough said

My Cars
    '98 328i blk/blk
    great job! very detail instructions and great pix!

My Cars
    BMW 318IS, VW Beetle, MGB Tourer

Great

Great work, keep it coming!!

My Cars
    M CPE
    Great writeup.

My Cars
    Jetta
    I made a pdf but it is 2 mb

Anyone want to host it?

My Cars
    Jetta
    bump...wouldn't mind a host for the PDF version.

Also I am adding a number of DIY articles...stay tuned.

My Cars
    1994 325i
    good write up...i need to swap locks for my new glove box too

but one question, do you need the key to remove the lock?
    i dont have a working key for the glovebox i just purchased.
    lame

My Cars
    Jetta
    It helps because it holds the tension on all the little parts. This is why I tape them before I remove the key.

Since you don't care about the new lock core, you can probably just remove it and let all the metal parts go flying. Just be sure to use this procedure for your old lock.

My Cars
    2006 330ic, 2 e36 before

Smile glove box removal

Bentleys book shows six screws to remove, well there is a bolt hiding behind the light as well. Remove the light and the blot, now the glove box will come out without and strains. Mike

My Cars
    1997 BMW 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by old skool View Post
    Pretty sure you could have sprayed over the lock with a matching color or close to it, but could instructions and pics on how to do it, if mine breaks, I'll refer to here again!

My Cars
    E85 Z4
    Apologies for reviving an old thread, but what would you suggest when the key for the second lock isn't present? I'm in the process of changing a beige interior to a black interior, but I don't have a key for the black glove box

Help/advice appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast