Thread: New E31 Owner

My Cars
    95 s/c 2.8l, 98 528

New E31 Owner

I assume Ill be frequenting this section a good bit now so figured Id post a brief introduction along with a few preliminary questions. I just picked up a 95 840 last weekend, I have been wanting one for a long while and this one popped up in just the right location and price range for me to move on it. It made the 600 mile trip home without a hiccup really, well after it trapped me inside for 20 mins while it warmed up...I assume general module repair which is first on my to do list. Thankfully/ unfortunately Louisiana decided to skip winter this year and so its hasn't been an issue since I got it home yet. After talking with a friend I have the opportunity to pick up a 95 740 for practically nothing and I have a few compatibility questions. The main reason I was grabbing it was for the m60 as a spare/ mock up engine for my hair brained boost scheme, but I also found out it has Dinan DME and trans chips. I was hoping to get verification these chips can be used on my 840 without issue being the same year and engine. I also was wondering if there was anything else worth grabbing off the E38 before I parted and scrapped it that would be of some use to me for the 8 series.
    And of course a picture of the newest addition, paint isn't great but for the price I'm thrilled to have it.
    95 325- s/c S50 01 X5-daily 95 840ci- boost incoming

My Cars
    bmw 850
    Welcome, and looks like you got lucky since it came with bbs staggered setup.

My Cars
    95 s/c 2.8l, 98 528
    Actually I pillaged those off of my E39 with some hub centric rings. It came on sawblades with questionable tires.

My Cars
    '95 840Ci/6, F36, E89
    Nice car! The Dinan trans chip was great before I swapped to a 6sp - I think it's the only option out there. I used the DUDMD engine chip so can't speak for the Dinan or Wolfe's chips but I've heard they're good too. Enjoy you car and if you figure out how to boost it, please write a tutorial :-)

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    Congrats and "Welcome to the madness!" If not already please be sure to join the BMW CCA E31 Chapter too!

My Cars
    840Ci/6 528iT Europa TCS
    I am in the same boat as spikec. I also have a 6 speed and DUDMD engine chip. I had the Dinan engine and trans chips when it was an auto and they were pretty good. The 6 speed and a 3.15 limited slip diff help a great deal, plus you get to shed a couple hundred pounds with the trans swap.
    It looks like you have quite a nice machine. Enjoy it in good health and by all means keep us posted on the boost scheme. They are all hair brained until they work and astonish. Good luck.

My Cars
    95 s/c 2.8l, 98 528
    Thanks for the warm welcome. On the ride home I noticed the auto was fairly "lazy" unless i pretty much flat footed it. There wasn't much response in between, not sure if that is normal or something is amiss but really hoping the trans chip will be compatible if nothing else and make it a little more responsive till I can piece together a 6spd swap. Of course the dinan chips are more of a short term solution since they happen to be there on the donor car. The end goal is boost, to be honest I am really leaning towards a modified eaton blower. I was watching a promising e39 thread using the jag setup almost as is however I think hood clearance would be an issue in the E31 the way that one was done. I have a few ideas I want to try but until I get both the motor and blower setup on a stand its just theory. Then if that all works out with the hardware I still have to figure out how to tune it, Im leaning towards the ms3pro as a standalone as I haven't seen a lot of options for custom m60 tunes and I would really like to make use of flex fuel. But before I get ahead of myself ...in reality boost and 6spd swap are long term goals, I was chest deep in an s50 build before this car popped up so its going to take a minute to backtrack and recoup what I can from that build. Right now I'm just excited to have one of my dream cars.

My Cars
    91 850
    "I'm just excited to have one of my dream cars."

Yup, we all can relate to that statement. The first night I had mine parked in my garage, I kept going back out to admire it and couldn't believe one is finally sitting there. As it's been said, welcome to the community!

My Cars
    '95 840Ci/6, F36, E89
    The 3.15 LSD differential was huge, and for me, Ford injectors also helped, Bosch 0-280-155-700. I think the big issue with boosting it is space available in the bay. Dinan did it and maybe one or two others... but nothing on the current market.

Don't forget about upgrading the suspension, Wokke makes some great stuff that'll make it corner pretty well. As much as I love my 8, it'll never be an M5...but it's the prettiest BMW ever built!

My Cars
    95 s/c 2.8l, 98 528
    Quote Originally Posted by spikec View Post
    The 3.15 LSD differential was huge, and for me, Ford injectors also helped, Bosch 0-280-155-700. I think the big issue with boosting it is space available in the bay. Dinan did it and maybe one or two others... but nothing on the current market.

Don't forget about upgrading the suspension, Wokke makes some great stuff that'll make it corner pretty well. As much as I love my 8, it'll never be an M5...but it's the prettiest BMW ever built!
    Whats up with the injectors, I have seen that mentioned a few times in my basic 840 searches? Are the factory ones a little undersized, horrible spray pattern or just something that goes along with performance chips?

I think the easiest boost option physically to setup would definitely be the tried and true centri blower but since used kits don't seem to pop up near as often for the 8cyl cars and piecing one together doesn't seem to be an easy deal either so I'm not liking that route. I haven't really dove into the bay yet but at first glance it looks like routing a traditionally mounted turbo would be a tight squeeze especially when it comes to the downpipe and intercooler piping. Remote mounted turbos are an option but not high on my list. Which leaves me back at the roots blower, I feel confident with a little fab work I can squeeze one under the hood. I work at a vessel fab shop so between our in house machine shop and the cnc contacts I'm hoping I can make the napkin sketches a reality. Im not looking for huge power but I think with a moderate boost roots setup and e85 ~450 is possible, which in my book would make the car plenty fun enough.

Yeah for now the suspension is pretty well sorted, Bilsteins all around, eibach springs in the front, rears are uninstalled but came with the car. Ive read the H&r/eibach combo is popular so I may swing back around and give that a go. All new arms and bushings up front in the last year. It rode like a dream on the interstate, a little bumpy around town but Louisiana roads suck so I would say it handled it fairly well for being lowered. I would really like to find a full set of rear style 65s to fit on the car, I just feel like they would suit the style of the car very well but for now the style 5s do the job.
    Last edited by 325isBoosted; 01-22-2017 at 10:11 PM.

My Cars
    91 e31, 67 Camaro
    Welcome aboard, I'm on the other side of New Orleans from you, i have a 12 so your boosting ideas won't help but I would still be interested in your project. If your in the area give me a PM or next time I'm over there I'll do the same. Spent about 6 weeks over there in the fall helping with the flood.

My Cars
    95 s/c 2.8l, 98 528
    Quote Originally Posted by MHambrice View Post
    Welcome aboard, I'm on the other side of New Orleans from you, i have a 12 so your boosting ideas won't help but I would still be interested in your project. If your in the area give me a PM or next time I'm over there I'll do the same. Spent about 6 weeks over there in the fall helping with the flood.
    Hey man, thanks for the welcome. Always good to meet like minded enthusiasts so will do if I'm in the area. If you aren't on there already check out the nolabimmers facebook page, it's a great group of local guys (extending into Mississippi too). They have meets and get togethers from time to time and an active online community.

My Cars
    "95 840 Ci Sport Indi
    I also have a 1995 840 M Spec Individual Sport with a DUDMD engine chip

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Welcome to the group. Consider joining the BMW CCA E31 Chapter, and attending the Southeast 8 Gathering we are having in March 3 - 5 in Florida. I think you will find E31 owners are a great group of people. There will probably be cars coming across I10 on the way to the meeting, which you could probably join up with.

Again, welcome to the E31 Madness.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Welcome to the 8er world! I haven't moded my 8, but you will find the forum an indispensable tool for anything 8. It's truly an unbelievable gathering of knowledgeable and helpful e31 enthusiasts.
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840ci
    Nice, congrats and welcome, I picked up mine last year around this time. Didn't do much yet... but excited to see and get advise from all the e31 members here.

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    Black 95 840. Good choice. And welcome!

My Cars
    95 s/c 2.8l, 98 528
    I saw the gathering, can't make it this year but maybe next time.

Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    Welcome to the group. Consider joining the BMW CCA E31 Chapter, and attending the Southeast 8 Gathering we are having in March 3 - 5 in Florida. I think you will find E31 owners are a great group of people. There will probably be cars coming across I10 on the way to the meeting, which you could probably join up with.

Again, welcome to the E31 Madness.
    As a side note concerning my boost scheme, while trolling youtube I found this gem.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7eQUxC-kNk
    There are some questionable design choices but at least I know it can reasonably fit under the E31 hood, and even better it looks like minimal modification to the jag manifold set up. Now to find someone parting an XJR, as usual when I didn't have the v8 to play with I saw them all day long cheap on craigslist. Now that I have the car and am ready to work on it...ghost town.