Thread: E12 help

My Cars
    1980 528i e12

E12 help

I recently purchased my first BMW a 1980 528I and after working through the more obvious problems I am now trying to address some of the electrical problems. Does any one have any experience working with this particular model, or have any suggestions for how to fix the following problems?

car will not start at normal starting position (i.e the end of the key barrel turn). instead it starts randomly between 60-80% of the barrel turn.

Previous owners tried to rewire for sound and did a terrible job. Do I have to pull off the dash to access all the wiring connected to the instrument cluster and radio? I ask because I think at this point the car audio is beyond repair and should just be removed, also the dash lights are dead.

I realize this is probably related to the crappy car audio job, but the battery dies almost over night. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get that to stop.

2 of the 4 electric windows are missing motors and controllers. does anyone have a suggestion for getting these windows working again.

I hope to hear from someone soon, id like to get this thing back on the road soon!

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I will move the thread to the E28 forum, probably there are some members which can help.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    540i '01 sport, 80 528i

Look at Firstfives site.

Firstfives covers this model nearly exclusively. Lots of experience on nearly every issue. I have same model and have kept it running grate with their help.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcCoyPartyEna View Post
    I recently purchased my first BMW a 1980 528I and after working through the more obvious problems I am now trying to address some of the electrical problems. Does any one have any experience working with this particular model, or have any suggestions for how to fix the following problems?

car will not start at normal starting position (i.e the end of the key barrel turn). instead it starts randomly between 60-80% of the barrel turn.

Previous owners tried to rewire for sound and did a terrible job. Do I have to pull off the dash to access all the wiring connected to the instrument cluster and radio? I ask because I think at this point the car audio is beyond repair and should just be removed, also the dash lights are dead.

I realize this is probably related to the crappy car audio job, but the battery dies almost over night. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to get that to stop.

2 of the 4 electric windows are missing motors and controllers. does anyone have a suggestion for getting these windows working again.

I hope to hear from someone soon, id like to get this thing back on the road soon!