Thread: BMW 525i 1995 e34 auto to manual transmission swap

My Cars
    BMW 525i 1995

BMW 525i 1995 e34 auto to manual transmission swap

I recently just purchased a 1995 525i e34 auto trans and I want to do a transmission swap from auto to manual, I have no clue what parts, trans or anything else I would need to do this, does anyone have a list of parts I would need to complete this?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Everything between the back of the engine and front of the diff. plus the pedal assembly and clutch hydraulics including the brake fluid reservoir, interior console cover/boot and inner shifter boot, back-up light wire harness and jumper relay from the fuse box(or simply jump the terminals).
    what else guys?

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    BMW 525i 1995
    Could anyone list the items from the egine to the front diff, I am Farley new to e34s and just want to make sure I get everything needed

My Cars
    1995 525i, 1994 540i6
    Here is what I am using

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_41.htm

I got all my big parts. Just cleaning them and rebuilding them.

Still have to buy all the new parts like gaskets and bolts.

The major components are:
    - transmission, Getrag 260/6 (Getrag 260/5, 260, 262, and 265 will also work. Shift linkage mods are required for the 265. I recommend getting the 260/6 since it is a direct nuts & bolts fit)
    - transmission throw-out fork
    - cross member& rubber tranny mounts (the existing chassis holes for the cross member were widened for after 09/89 build dates. If using an 88 cross member, it will be necessary to slot the holes approx. 1/8" to get the holes to line up.
    - flywheel, pressure plate, clutch disk, & throw-out bearing (use an e28 535i non dual-mass flywheel and clutch)
    - pedal cluster assembly
    - driveshaft (different length & the front yoke is different, the rear diff flange is also different depending on what diff is used)
    - flex coupler, aka "quibo" (depends on transmission yoke style)
    - clutch master& slave cylinders & hydraulic tubing & reservoir (reservoir optional, newer brake reservoirs have one or more spare nipples)
    - shift lever/shift linkage assembly
    Other lesser but non-trivial items are:
    - pilot bearing (very important! will result in transmission damage if overlooked)
    - manual transmission bell housing bolts (most of the bolts for the manual need to be longer than the ones for the automatic)
    - differential (the automatic diff ratio may be too high for a manual trans)
    - interior console panel (shift boot opening is a different shape & location)
    - leather shift boot (check Ebay, dealer wants $57 for one)
    - tunnel rubber boot seal & surrounding insulation
    - catalytic converter support bracket -- I'll figure out a way to mount & reuse the one from my automatic
    - clutch lever cruise control cancel switch. Note: it is shown in the clutch section of the ETK but will come up as "not applicable to this model". The dealer found it in the cruise control section of the ETK and it is the correct one

- - - Updated - - -

Get from a part car: transmission, transmission brackets, clutch (might want a new one), flywheel (might want a lightweight one), pressure plate, every single parts and bolts attached to the transmission, driveshaft, reverse switch wiring, clutch hydraulic, complete pedal assembly, driveshaft, differential.You also want the special relay so you can start your car.
    Buy new: rear crankshaft seal, flywheel bolts, pressure plate bolts, clutch bearing, transmission mounts, bitch clip, shifter weareable parts, driveshaft center bearing, guilbo, transmission seals, gear box fluid, diff fluid, diff side seals.

http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Upgrade/5speedswap.htm

My Cars
    94 540i
    Buy this (not mine) and it should have all you need besides replacing wear items.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/5964753876.html

My Cars
    1995 525i, 1994 540i6
    There is a guy in Windsor with a manual car and two of every part for sale. $1700 CDN
    Be a sweet deal never have to buy another part.